Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to challengers and I have a few questions. I’ve owned a lot of Mustangs before, but have never owned a Dodge. Can someone explain what the catch can does? Do I need one? What cold air kit should I get bang for the buck wise? What vendors do you recommend? I appreciate any help that you all can give me. Joe
2017 challenger R/T Plus 5.7 auto

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Hi Joe. Great car! There are a few great threads on catch cans. Keeps and even cleans your engine. Throttle body and combustion chamber. Billet seems to be the most popular, UPR costs a little more but has more innerds to filter out the gunk. I got a UPR very recently. Right now in the middle of this page there are "popular photos" all of them pertain to catch cans. The usefulness of CAI is up for debate. Not on the cool factor though! All our vendors are good.

Reactions: Marshall Man

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. I’ll check out the pictures.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I’m new to challengers and I have a few questions. I’ve owned a lot of Mustangs before, but have never owned a Dodge. Can someone explain what the catch can does? Do I need one? What cold air kit should I get bang for the buck wise? What vendors do you recommend? I appreciate any help that you all can give me. Joe
2017 challenger R/T Plus 5.7 auto
Here's a write-up I found on it.

PURPOSE OF A CATCH CAN​

The absence of a catch can will not damage your engine. The issue is engine efficiency. It prevents a buildup of oil residue that can result in a loss of power to your engine, over time, due to PCM-pulled timing.

During normal operation, a small amount of that ignited air/fuel mixture leaks past the piston rings and ends up in the crankcase. This leakage is called “blow-by” (leakage past the piston rings), as well as oil mist. Some of the oil mist and other products settle along the engine intake and over time form a “gunk.”

The oil catch can collects the oil mist and condenses the fuel vapors while allowing “cleaner” gases to be passed back into the intake. The OEM system does a great job of meeting emission standards and removing the harmful contaminants, but the unintended consequences are the oil that is drawn into the intake charge. For an engine to produce the maximum amount of energy per explosion (of the A/F in the combustion chamber) you want air & fuel only- any amount of oil in this mix will hamper the explosion resulting in less energy released, detonation, and carbon buildup.

Trapping and removing this oil before it gets into the combustion chamber is the only solution to maintain maximum engine efficiency and prevent excessive carbon buildup. (Note- This is especially critical on turbo cars).

Reactions: Marshall Man

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the background information. It looks like I’m gonna have to buy one of those catch cans.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I appreciate the background information. It looks like I’m gonna have to buy one of those catch cans.
You got there faster than me. Took me a few months.....6! Really easy install. Good luck!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used to buy parts for my Mustang from UPR, so I’ll go with them.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I used to buy parts for my Mustang from UPR, so I’ll go with them.
I got mine there. Only had to call twice to get the catch can installed. Very helpful.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered the UPR catch can last night...$212 delivered. Hope it’s worth it.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I ordered the UPR catch can last night...$212 delivered. Hope it’s worth it.
Which one did you get? I paid a lot less but got the basic black one. REGARDLESS it is worth it. The more flow you have the better for everything. Crud reduces flow. Wise investment. You got the most effective one on the market from our studies. (Gary took his apart and showed us)
Good luck putting it on. Make sure the drain is closed. I only had to call UPR twice so don't worry. Hahaha. Don't go by me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Which one did you get? I paid a lot less but got the basic black one. REGARDLESS it is worth it. The more flow you have the better for everything. Crud reduces flow. Wise investment. You got the most effective one on the market from our studies. (Gary took his apart and showed us)
Good luck putting it on. Make sure the drain is closed. I only had to call UPR twice so don't worry. Hahaha. Don't go by me.
I guess I got the top dog. I received it today and installed it. Mine has braided black hoses so I was unable to cut them to the proper length, it is pretty long. I routed the hoses best I could.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Regarding the so called "cold air" intakes, proceed with caution. The factory intakes (at least on the SRTs) are drawing "cold air" from outside of the engine compartment. Furthermore, they are reasonably well insulated from engine bay heat as they are fully enclosed (in the engine bay area). As long as the engine is running, your factory intake will be constantly be pulling "cold" air. As cold as any "so called" cold air intake. If you check it out yourself, you will see how the ducting is routed.

Most of the advertisements you see for cold air intakes imply that they provide cooler air temps than your OEM unit. In my opinion they offer NO COOLER AIR than your factory unit. Some may offer a variety of filter options and media, but do not offer any significantly cooler air than your factory unit. Some are a complete joke as they actually leave the filter element completely open & exposed in the engine bay to all the hot air (no housing or baffling). There are some who do prefer the cosmetic appearance of an aftermarket intake, and that's fine.

From a performance perspective, you will get the most by staying with the factory intake, but switching to a Hellcat filter element. Check it out!

Congrats on your Challenger...and welcome to the community!

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I guess I got the top dog. I received it today and installed it. Mine has braided black hoses so I was unable to cut them to the proper length, it is pretty long. I routed the hoses best I could.

I didn't cut mine either. Wasn't too bad. Good luck!

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,375 Posts
Regarding the so called "cold air" intakes, proceed with caution. The factory intakes (at least on the SRTs) are drawing "cold air" from outside of the engine compartment. Furthermore, they are reasonably well insulated from engine bay heat as they are fully enclosed (in the engine bay area). As long as the engine is running, your factory intake will be constantly be pulling "cold" air. As cold as any "so called" cold air intake. If you check it out yourself, you will see how the ducting is routed.

Most of the advertisements you see for cold air intakes imply that they provide cooler air temps than your OEM unit. In my opinion they offer NO COOLER AIR than your factory unit. Some may offer a variety of filter options and media, but do not offer any significantly cooler air than your factory unit. Some are a complete joke as they actually leave the filter element completely open & exposed in the engine bay to all the hot air (no housing or baffling). There are some who do prefer the cosmetic appearance of an aftermarket intake, and that's fine.

From a performance perspective, you will get the most by staying with the factory intake, but switching to a Hellcat filter element. Check it out!
Appreciate your taking the time to write this. Great post, sir. Ya might want to add that the CAI can be rather expensive and typically doesn't provide nearly what sellers claim, nor what your "fans" might think it does when they see it. Seems to me that their BIGGEST value is that they dress up the engine compartment because they are obviously not stock.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,375 Posts
Mine has braided black hoses so I was unable to cut them to the proper length, it is pretty long. I routed the hoses best I could.
Call them and tell them that you and another forum member were concerned about the length of the hoses and the fact that you couldn't cut them to length. They might just make it right. When I called them with issues, they were amazing.

UPR: 561.588.6630

Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Call them and tell them that you and another forum member were concerned about the length of the hoses and the fact that you couldn't cut them to length. They might just make it right. When I called them with issues, they were amazing.

UPR: 561.588.6630

Let us know what happens.
Thanks for the advice. I’m probably just gonna keep mine, since I rerouted it it doesn’t look bad at all.

·
Banned
87 Posts
K&N Cold Air Intake

I'd go with a K&N cold air intake. I have one on my Challenger. K&N's goal is flow, whether it's air, oil or what not. I run K&N air filters, oil filters, and cold air induction on all my cars. Just my two cents.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts