Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently the next gen Challenger my be based off our current Challengers... This is coming from FCA's CEO today:
"We may not necessarily have to go as far as the Giorgio architecture for Dodge as long as we are willing to commit to a significant upgrade to the current architecture to make it competitive. That's something that's already started. Certainly by the time we finish with that architecture, you will not recognize its origins. We may maintain its bare-bones structure."

He did say that the that engineers would improve the platform though. I guess we can assume it won't be getting any smaller. Lighter perhaps, but not smaller. I'm happy with that.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,937 Posts
With everyone apparently ditching building cars in general, who cares if ever gets smaller? I for one would rather leave it the same size, especially if I ever get in a wreck with an SUV.

Reactions: MuscleCarProf

·
Registered
955 Posts
I'm actually very disappointed. They could have simply gone with a slightly larger version (a little lengthened and widened) of the Giorgio platform. That would have made it an incredible handler while also being lighter. Mercedes designs just seem to be inherently heavy. I really was hoping for 3900 pounds or lighter in the next gen.

That being said, if they can vastly improve the handling and reduce the weight below 4000 pounds, I'll be pretty happy, but not as happy as I would have been.

However, is it possible that he was speaking of the next refresh of the Challenger that's due in 2020 or 2021, and not the next generation?

What would drive them to do this? Do they simply lack the funds to do the R&D to adapt the Giorgio platform? Or would it have made the cars cost prohibitive?

Someone needs to ask ResumeSpeed what's going on.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,937 Posts
Haven’t you been reading the news? Car manufacturers are ditching building cars. I sincerely doubt now there is gonna be much redesign beyond 2022 for the Challenger. Plus today it was said in the FCA summit that most of the funds for R&D will be spent on Jeep/Ram and Fiat/Alfa. Chrysler & Dodge will get less, and only be focused in America which I already thought was the only market.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Just like station wagons and then minivans, the crossover fad will die at some point. Anyway, I'm happy to hear they're already putting the effort into upgrading the platform. Despite some companies missing the mark with their cars and killing off the unsuccessful ones, the Challenger and Charger are still loved by many. Investing in them is great news.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I'm guessing that there will be additional advanced ultra high strength steel and aluminum.

Aluminum doors, fenders, and trunk lid would be significant.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Sounds fine to me. I hope they keep the size and usability.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I'm guessing that there will be additional advanced ultra high strength steel and aluminum.

Aluminum doors, fenders, and trunk lid would be significant.
Now that I could get behind. The weight savings would be significant, especially if they FINALLY upgrade to an aluminum block. Perhaps 200-300 pounds off all told?

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'm actually very disappointed. They could have simply gone with a slightly larger version (a little lengthened and widened) of the Giorgio platform. That would have made it an incredible handler while also being lighter. Mercedes designs just seem to be inherently heavy. I really was hoping for 3900 pounds or lighter in the next gen.

That being said, if they can vastly improve the handling and reduce the weight below 4000 pounds, I'll be pretty happy, but not as happy as I would have been.

However, is it possible that he was speaking of the next refresh of the Challenger that's due in 2020 or 2021, and not the next generation?

What would drive them to do this? Do they simply lack the funds to do the R&D to adapt the Giorgio platform? Or would it have made the cars cost prohibitive?

Someone needs to ask ResumeSpeed what's going on.
Sounds like he's referring to the next gen. Also, he mentioned that fitting the Hemi into even an enlarged version of one of their newer platforms would be a challenge (no pun intended).

Some rumors are saying the new 426 Hemi will be aluminum. As far as RS goes, he's been a ghost and there have been some rumors (yes more) that say FCA hasn't been too happy about the internet leaks and is on a witch hunt. Some people believe he's actually Ralph Gilles and the leaks are part of Dodge's marketing... I do know he hasn't updated his 2019 Challenger thread on the Hellcat forum since March and the '19 order banks open in a little over a week.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
apparently the next gen challenger my be based off our current challengers... This is coming from fca's ceo today:
"we may not necessarily have to go as far as the giorgio architecture for dodge as long as we are willing to commit to a significant upgrade to the current architecture to make it competitive. That's something that's already started. Certainly by the time we finish with that architecture, you will not recognize its origins. We may maintain its bare-bones structure."

he did say that the that engineers would improve the platform though. I guess we can assume it won't be getting any smaller. Lighter perhaps, but not smaller. I'm happy with that.
oh happy day!!!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Sounds like he's referring to the next gen. Also, he mentioned that fitting the Hemi into even an enlarged version of one of their newer platforms would be a challenge (no pun intended).

Some rumors are saying the new 426 Hemi will be aluminum. As far as RS goes, he's been a ghost and there have been some rumors (yes more) that say FCA hasn't been too happy about the internet leaks and is on a witch hunt. Some people believe he's actually Ralph Gilles and the leaks are part of Dodge's marketing... I do know he hasn't updated his 2019 Challenger thread on the Hellcat forum since March and the '19 order banks open in a little over a week.
RS comments on the Hellcat forum all the time, he just did several times this past week. He may not have updated that 2019 Challenger option thread but he helps out people find where their Demon is on the assembly line, (which finished the last Demon yesterday in fact).

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,375 Posts
... a significant upgrade to the current architecture to make it competitive... [/I]
This is really good news. Challenger was MORE than just competitive when it comes to sheer horsepower. The logical meaning of this statement is handling and weight. But then again, with all the talk of an aluminum 426, that one change alone would spell lighter weight and more power, addressing another dimension indeed.

So whether MORE COMPETITIVE means better handling or lighter weight, or more power, or even all three, this is seriously good news.

One thing's for sure: at least we don't have to speculate about FCA killing off the Challenger or it's monster motors.

...I for one would rather leave it the same size, especially if I ever get in a wreck with an SUV...
Love this comment. Look around fellas: if we ever get into an accident, it's more and more likely that it will be with an SUV. They're like EVERYWHERE. Nice to know I'm packing 4200 pounds on my side of the equation.

Maybe we complain too much about wanting lighter and faster (don't shoot me here). Forgive my old-fart opinion here, but I'm perfectly happy with the Challenger's configuration: large, heavy, and lightning quick.

I've said this before: all I ever dreamed about was owning a muscle car, which would have been a car with a solid rear axle, questionable reliability and terrible gas mileage. But when my dream came true last summer (I bought my SRT), what I got was a far more that I ever dreamed.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
This is really good news. Challenger was MORE than just competitive when it comes to sheer horsepower. The logical meaning of this statement is handling and weight. But then again, with all the talk of an aluminum 426, that one change alone would spell lighter weight and more power, addressing another dimension indeed.

So whether MORE COMPETITIVE means better handling or lighter weight, or more power, or even all three, this is seriously good news.

One thing's for sure: at least we don't have to speculate about FCA killing off the Challenger or it's monster motors.

Love this comment. Look around fellas: if we ever get into an accident, it's more and more likely that it will be with an SUV. They're like EVERYWHERE. Nice to know I'm packing 4200 pounds on my side of the equation.

Maybe we complain too much about wanting lighter and faster (don't shoot me here). Forgive my old-fart opinion here, but I'm perfectly happy with the Challenger's configuration: large, heavy, and lightning quick.

I've said this before: all I ever dreamed about was owning a muscle car, which would have been a car with a solid rear axle, questionable reliability and terrible gas mileage. But when my dream came true last summer (I bought my SRT), what I got was a far more that I ever dreamed.
You'll have to shoot me too! (warning I shoot back)

·
Super Moderator
14,221 Posts
On June 1, FCA issued its 5-year investment plan. The corporation will focus on the global market and will only allocate 25% of its funds to Chrysler, Dodge and Fiat.

The Detriot Free Press stated, "Until they require significant investment to develop new models, Chrysler and Dodge can run more or less on inertia, with a little money budgeted for updates each year."

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
RS comments on the Hellcat forum all the time, he just did several times this past week. He may not have updated that 2019 Challenger option thread but he helps out people find where their Demon is on the assembly line, (which finished the last Demon yesterday in fact).
I wasn't referring to him not posting at all, just not providing any real hints on the upcoming models. Inside news etc. RS hasn't updated his original post with all the blanks for the 2019 changes and his comments there have been less frequent with little to no information. I check the thread all the time. Nothing new to report.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts