Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

When the Hellcat V8 is packed into the next-generation Dodge Challenger, it will reportedly be boosted up to around 750 horsepower.

The new Challenger, which is due in 2019, is supposed to move over the smaller Giulia platform, which will make it lighter and more agile. This will help it compete with the Mustang and Camaro, both of which have been redesigned recently.

Combine that with a Hellcat that, according to Automobile, will put out at least 750 hp, and this car will be a serious performer.

To make sure the Giulia platform is used to the fullest, Dodge is also said to have plans on releasing a new Barracuda model which will essentially be a convertible version of the new Challenger, though it will have its own unique styling.

While the switch to a new platform for the Challenger seems likely, a previous report from Motor Authority claims that FCA plans to kill the Hellcat engine in 2019 in order to meet government imposed CAFE fuel economy standards. If this is the case, then new Challenger models will probably use a turbocharged V6 for power.
Read more about the Next Dodge Challenger Hellcat Rumored to Pack 750 HP at AutoGuide.com.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I read this article last week. I knew it was just another uninformed journalist once I read that the "new" Challenger will come out in 2019. If the writer had done just a little research, he'd know that the re-design won't be until 2021 and the horsepower number is just a wild guess/reach to sell the article. But OK, if that's what sells your magazine.....

·
Super Moderator
14,408 Posts
CAFE regs started back in 1975 after the Arab Oil Embargo (enacted by Congress, during the Ford administration) and the first standards were in place for 1978 (Carter administration)...

standards have been proposed, then adjusted back when either the automakers couldn't meet those MPG figures (technology at the time) or market demand didn't reflect the proposal.

The 2025 54 MPG standard is being reviewed and may scale back to 50 - 52.5 mpg as the smaller vehicles aren't selling as much due to current fuel prices and trends in what is selling.

·
Registered
13,540 Posts
CAFE has always been dependent on vehicles sold, only the smallest cars were required to get the high number and there were different ratings for other bigger cars and trucks. But in the end, the people decide what they want to buy and that is what FCA is trying to offer the people now. Cramming small high mileage and electric cars is not going to work, ask GM about how the Chevy Volt is working out for them?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
14,408 Posts
it was similar to Toyota lost money on each Prius they sold, but the other lines made up for it. And their model is the highest volume hybrid selling.

Although sales of the Prius have softened, as fuel prices have been running lower the past couple of years.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Today's and future technology will be used to ensure higher HP with smaller displacement, thus less air contamination. Case in point, the 2014 Shelby GT500 used a "small block" 351 cubic inch pumping out 662 ponies. Much more power to cubic inch ratio than the Hellcat Hemi. I wouldn't worry about losing HP and cubic inches for a car today; doesn't mean a hill of beans anymore. Thank God the gas prices will remain low for the foreseeable future, so the appeal to buying a high HP car will be there for folks who can afford.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Fuel prices may be rising just a bit, but not by a significant amount. I’m in the oil business and being that production is slow means low and fairly stable prices at the pump. Would be nice to see more ponies squeezed out of a Mopar motor. The person that wrote the article didn’t say if the 6.2L will still be used in that endeavor. But it’s been said, the article was written to attract attention and doesn’t mean the writer actually knew what he/she was talking about.

CAFE need to have some CAFÉ and cool the heck out. They can impose whatever they want as far as I am concerned just as long as they allow us car enthusiasts like to enjoy and appreciate the performance abilities made available by the auto engineers….. at least a little.

·
Premium Member
2,935 Posts
Higher HP with smaller displacement does not necessarily mean less air contamination. Among many other things, the RPM and boost required to produce the given power come into play.

·
Registered
523 Posts
This is really not a big deal considering a lot if people put their stock hellcats on dynos and were getting a lot more tthen 707 HP.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
12 Participants
pacman2012
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing