Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems the next-gen Challenger keeps getting pushed further and further down the line, the latest estimate puts it somewhere around 2020-2021. Rumors also say that Chrysler has dropped the Giorgio platform in favor of the Maserati Ghibli platform, but that we will see some kind of update for the 2019 model year. If this news is true, is that a good thing or bad thing? Which platform would be better for the car in terms of handling and durability? How about keeping internal cabin space and fitting the large engines we all love? I'd love the Challenger to handle even better than it does but let's not turn it into a Camaro. Thoughts?

·
Registered
193 Posts
The latest inside info that's sounds the most credible is that the new Challenger and Charger will be unveiled at the Detroit Auto show in January of 2020 as a 2021 model. They say that the development work of the cars is largely done and we should start seeing some test mules this spring/summer. Will the new cars be built off the Giorgio platform? Yes, BUT they will also be built off the Ghibli platform as well because by that time all of FCA's rear wheel drive cars will be built on the Giorgio. The rumor mill kind of went off the deep end a while ago when the Ghibli story came out. Everyone assumed it meant the current Ghibli (which itself is a modified LX platform) but in truth, all the large cars will be built on a modified (lengthened, widened) Giorgio by 2021. BTW, these same insiders are saying the last 2 years of the current LX Charger & Challengers are going to be insane with special versions. I know a widebody Charger Hellcat is in the works.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I am interested in how they'll finish off the current platform. I'll be looking for a new challenger in about 3-4 years so if the new one looks to be a dud, I'll grab one of the last of this current platform. It would be cool to see Chrysler throw the option book at the current car and allow just about any configuration the customer can imagine with some new heritage inspired models/trim packages.

Regarding the new car, it still needs to be roomy and look like a '70-'71 Challenger. Perhaps they could go more with the sharper and crisper body lines of the original and make it lower and flatter like the original. If it doesn't look like a Challenger, I'm not interested.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
If it doesn't look like a Challenger, I'm not interested.

I agree, but I wonder if everyone will. Sometimes, a new start is in order to breathe new life into a line. Younger car buyers may feel the 70s style Challenger is dated. Ducati Superbikes have finally dropped the twin in favor of a V4 to remain competitive.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am interested in how they'll finish off the current platform. I'll be looking for a new challenger in about 3-4 years so if the new one looks to be a dud, I'll grab one of the last of this current platform. It would be cool to see Chrysler throw the option book at the current car and allow just about any configuration the customer can imagine with some new heritage inspired models/trim packages.

Regarding the new car, it still needs to be roomy and look like a '70-'71 Challenger. Perhaps they could go more with the sharper and crisper body lines of the original and make it lower and flatter like the original. If it doesn't look like a Challenger, I'm not interested.
I'm in agreement with you. Personally I love the '15 and up 1971 styling, I hope they stick with that. But it would be nice to see the car shrunk to maybeeee about 8/9 or 7/8 its current size on an Italian chassis, and/or at least thin the body out a little. It would certainly handle better than the current ones (even though they're not slouches in the corners), I just hope they manage to do those things while maintaining the looks and the every day usability of the vehicle, because that's what really sells these things. Retro yet modern muscle coupes that can handle and are usable daily drivers, with backseats and trunks that can actually be used. It'll probably be a tough job to hit all of those targets but I'm sure FCA is trying their best. I'm definitely hoping to snag myself a pre-owned Challenger R/T Plus or Scat Pack by the end of this year, maybe the beginning of next year. By the time the refresh finally rolls around I'll have the money to buy the new one from the factory, provided they did a good job. My other big requirement is that they need to keep offering the large V8's. I refuse to drive a twin-turbo 4 banger Challenger, and I personally don't care much for the V6.

While I won't be able to take advantage of the crazy customization that's likely coming, I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

Gosh, what a time to be alive, isn't it?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree, but I wonder if everyone will. Sometimes, a new start is in order to breathe new life into a line. Younger car buyers may feel the 70s style Challenger is dated. Ducati Superbikes have finally dropped the twin in favor of a V4 to remain competitive.
Somehow I doubt it, most guys close to my age (I'm 21) dig the Challengers (if they're into cars, that is). I'm not sure how you could improve it without totally changing the look. If anything about the design needs to be changed, it just needs to be made a tiny bit smaller/leaned out, but still look formidable. Weight reduction and a new chassis will greatly improve the handling performance and maybe let it hang in the same general league as the Camaro and Mustang. But it can't be so small that it loses its utility and comfort. Hard balance to strike there.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The latest inside info that's sounds the most credible is that the new Challenger and Charger will be unveiled at the Detroit Auto show in January of 2020 as a 2021 model. They say that the development work of the cars is largely done and we should start seeing some test mules this spring/summer. Will the new cars be built off the Giorgio platform? Yes, BUT they will also be built off the Ghibli platform as well because by that time all of FCA's rear wheel drive cars will be built on the Giorgio. The rumor mill kind of went off the deep end a while ago when the Ghibli story came out. Everyone assumed it meant the current Ghibli (which itself is a modified LX platform) but in truth, all the large cars will be built on a modified (lengthened, widened) Giorgio by 2021. BTW, these same insiders are saying the last 2 years of the current LX Charger & Challengers are going to be insane with special versions. I know a widebody Charger Hellcat is in the works.
I'm a little unclear about the relationship between the Giorgio and the Ghibli, I thought they were two totally different platforms from different manufacturers, Alfa and Maserati? Are you saying that by 2021 they're both using the same platform going by different names?

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Somehow I doubt it, most guys close to my age (I'm 21) dig the Challengers (if they're into cars, that is). I'm not sure how you could improve it without totally changing the look. If anything about the design needs to be changed, it just needs to be made a tiny bit smaller/leaned out, but still look formidable. Weight reduction and a new chassis will greatly improve the handling performance and maybe let it hang in the same general league as the Camaro and Mustang. But it can't be so small that it loses its utility and comfort. Hard balance to strike there.

Well thank you for renewing my faith in the youth (car fans anyway) of America. The reason I have the Challenger is the room. I grew up around Chevys (Dad was a Camaro guy). But the new ones are too small, At 6'3" I felt cramped inside, never mind trying to fit the kiddos in the back. Plus, the Challenger just looks better to my eye.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well thank you for renewing my faith in the youth (car fans anyway) of America. The reason I have the Challenger is the room. I grew up around Chevys (Dad was a Camaro guy). But the new ones are too small, At 6'3" I felt cramped inside, never mind trying to fit the kiddos in the back. Plus, the Challenger just looks better to my eye.
I know what you mean, I sat in one recently and I felt like I was inside a tank the visibility was so bad, nevermind how cramped the back seats are. I love the exterior look of the new Camaro as a modern sports car, not a muscle car. You can't beat the new Challenger for that, although I do think Ford has done a great job improving the Mustang beginning in 2015. And I should add that on the whole, the Challenger isn't quite as well-known or coveted (aside from the Hellcat) among the youth compared to the other two cars, but they still like the looks and the few who have experienced driving or riding in them love them. I plan on being an ambassador for the Dodge brand and the Challenger in particular as much as I can, by way of boiling rubber and scaring my passengers :wink3:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm curious, if they're using the same Giorgio platform that underpins the Giulia, how much of the suspension/steering systems will carry over to the Challenger/Charger...from what I've read the Giulia handles wonderfully, and I think it would be awesome if our Challengers could, with improved handling and more power, outrun and/or outmaneuver a Mustang, maybe even the lower trim Camaros. I realize that isn't the primary purpose of the Challenger, but, I still think it'd be fun to see the looks on the other guys' faces :grin2:

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm a little unclear about the relationship between the Giorgio and the Ghibli, I thought they were two totally different platforms from different manufacturers, Alfa and Maserati? Are you saying that by 2021 they're both using the same platform going by different names?
The Giorgio is the new RWD platform that the Alfa Romeo Giulia is currently built on. A modified (lengthened, widened) version of it will underpin the Charger, Challenger, and Maserati Ghibli by 2021. All are FCA brands so they can all share platforms. If you want to see what the basics of the suspension, steering and frame will look like of the next Charger or Challenger, go peek underneath a new Alfa Giulia.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Giorgio is the new RWD platform that the Alfa Romeo Giulia is currently built on. A modified (lengthened, widened) version of it will underpin the Charger, Challenger, and Maserati Ghibli by 2021. All are FCA brands so they can all share platforms. If you want to see what the basics of the suspension, steering and frame will look like of the next Charger or Challenger, go peek underneath a new Alfa Giulia.
That's encouraging, that Alfa apparently handles like a dream. Really interested to see how it translates to a bigger car like a Charger or Challenger.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,875 Posts
I understand the desire to have a lighter, better handling car. But doing that while staying a Challenger we all love may not be possible. Both the Camaro and the Mustang made their cars lighter and better handling, and the consensus on how that made them look is pretty much universal here.

If it is a choice of a lighter, better handling, and the iconic looks of our cars, I think most would agree the look should remain. Most don't track their cars, so the better handling is more about bragging rights. It's also possible to make our current cars better handling, so adding some stiffer pieces would also be an option.

Lighter is harder, they would already be lighter if it was easy, fuel economy standards with a huge engine are already an issue. If the new version was a 7/8 complete replica of current styling (assuming some styling changes, if they don't go sideways), with current, or better engine choices, and better handling pieces bolted on...that would seem doable. Some space would be lost, but if split between under hood (not much), interior, and trunk, it could also be doable without losing the things we love about our big cars.

If there was a vote...Keep the styling if that meant same or similar size, weight, and handling. Or, change the style to allow those things. It does of course depend on what the styling looks like. I think it can be assumed it will not be the iconic Challenger any more.

A Guy

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I understand the desire to have a lighter, better handling car. But doing that while staying a Challenger we all love may not be possible. Both the Camaro and the Mustang made their cars lighter and better handling, and the consensus on how that made them look is pretty much universal here.

If it is a choice of a lighter, better handling, and the iconic looks of our cars, I think most would agree the look should remain. Most don't track their cars, so the better handling is more about bragging rights. It's also possible to make our current cars better handling, so adding some stiffer pieces would also be an option.

Lighter is harder, they would already be lighter if it was easy, fuel economy standards with a huge engine are already an issue. If the new version was a 7/8 complete replica of current styling (assuming some styling changes, if they don't go sideways), with current, or better engine choices, and better handling pieces bolted on...that would seem doable. Some space would be lost, but if split between under hood (not much), interior, and trunk, it could also be doable without losing the things we love about our big cars.

If there was a vote...Keep the styling if that meant same or similar size, weight, and handling. Or, change the style to allow those things. It does of course depend on what the styling looks like. I think it can be assumed it will not be the iconic Challenger any more.

A Guy
All excellent points.

And assuming FCA and Tim K have any brains at all, they're going to keep the car looking relatively similar, if not almost the same, they have to know that it's the retro styling and utility that makes the car so popular. It's a niche market and Dodge is currently dominating it. Ford and Chevy have been at the corner-carving game a lot longer than Dodge, makes no sense to challenge those brands on what is now their home turf. I may seem like I'm contradicting what I said earlier, but I never thought they should attempt to outmatch what Chevy has done with their gen 6 Camaro. Just getting a little closer would be plenty for me.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,875 Posts
Then again, we are Challenger enthusiasts here. The majority of Challenger owners don't come here. It's possible that a reworked Challenger would be a bigger seller. Not because it appealed to current enthusiasts, but because it appealed to owners of other cars who do not consider it because it is NOT like those other cars? Some survey or projection that says those changes would increase sales 10%, even if it alienated current enthusiasts, could also drive the development. They are all about the dollar at the end of the day, whether they are car guys or not. A Guy

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Then again, we are Challenger enthusiasts here. The majority of Challenger owners don't come here. It's possible that a reworked Challenger would be a bigger seller. Not because it appealed to current enthusiasts, but because it appealed to owners of other cars who do not consider it because it is NOT like those other cars? Some survey or projection that says those changes would increase sales 10%, even if it alienated current enthusiasts, could also drive the development. They are all about the dollar at the end of the day, whether they are car guys or not. A Guy
That's true. Well, here's hoping for good things in two years.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I'm in that mid-range age of Challengers owners having grown up in the 80's and 90's. I missed the first round of Muscle Cars but learned about them from my dad who was there. I think to the young generation, the new Challengers just look like "Challengers". They don't know much about the old cars but know a cool looking car when they see one. The 12 year old kid that lived next door to me loved our cars and they are his favorite Muscle Car. You don't have to like the early 70's cars to like the current style. The new cars are timeless and look great. I know they will have to progress the style of the Challenger with a full redesign but look how different the '08 car was from the '70... Yes they look similar but they are still very different. Dodge could do that again.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Can you guys asking for a smaller car just go buy a smaller car and leave the challenger alone?

We're not all 5'5", us 6'+ guys need a comfortable car too.

Yes, I like the cavernous interior. No, I don't care if a Mustang is a micro second faster than my Challenger on paper.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts