Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so the 2015s are barely on the road yet and we're all dying to catch a glimpse of a Hellcat cruising around town but I cant help but think about what the next generation Challenger will be like. Are we going to be looking at a lighter platform? A turbo 4 banger like the new Mustang? What about styling; will it still retain a similar retro vibe? A next gen Hellcat? I can't even imagine what that will be like. Its been on my mind so I'm sure everyone here thinks about it too, so why not? Lets speculate! :bouncy:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
My predictions:

1) Tons of speculation, conjecture, and Simple-Wild-Ass-Guessing before the reveal
2) Roughly half of the people will hate it and declare it a "slap in the face" and "the beginning of the end" for the Challenger.
3) The webiste won't be updated until after it's available to buy
4) The paint department go all out and will offer FOUR different "shades" of Black Paint
5) There will be a lot of wonderful features....all slated for "late availability"

:shinner:

·
Super Moderator
17,470 Posts
No thrashy 4-cyl (NA or otherwise) for me...can't stand them.

Never owned anything less than a V6 and that's the way it would stand for me.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I'd probably throw up in my mouth a little bit if I saw a 4 cyl Challenger... This new 2015 scat pack will be my last Challenger I get and will keep it for years to come and thankful for that so I need not worry about what the next gen will do. :)

·
Registered
505 Posts
I think the only thing I would bet money on is there will be a 4 cyl engine which probably would be popular. There are a ton of owners that want the looks only and couldn't care less on it being a 400hp V8, etc.

Other than that I would have no idea. I am curious to see if they move away from the "muscle car" type platform to more of a "roadster" type platform somewhat how the Mustang has evolved.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I don't think you will see anything major with the exception of maybe a special edition or two. What I do suspect will happen over the next 3 years or so, is the 5.7 being phased out or it's power increased by a good amount and possibly replaced by the 6.4 as the "standard" RT engine.
Not that I'm knocking the 5.7 , but when you compare it to the rest of the big 3 muscle car lineup , its the odd man out . Not quite as powerful as the other V8s, yet more powerful and nowhere near as economic as the V6's .

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I don't think you will see anything major with the exception of maybe a special edition or two. What I do suspect will happen over the next 3 years or so, is the 5.7 being phased out or it's power increased by a good amount and possibly replaced by the 6.4 as the "standard" RT engine.
Not that I'm knocking the 5.7 , but when you compare it to the rest of the big 3 muscle car lineup , its the odd man out . Not quite as powerful as the other V8s, yet more powerful and nowhere near as economic as the V6's .
I agree with the 5.7 needing to be phased out at some point. It's been around for a long time, VVT or not, 10 years or so back when they introduced the charger in 2005 or whatever it was. It just needs to go away even though it's a solid engine. 6.4 is where it's gonna be ;)

EDIT: Well, I guess they first introduced it to the Rams and Durangos in the early 2000s... but aside from those.

·
Premium Member
10,543 Posts
Keep dreaming, remember the saying of those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. We had the Challenger come, go and come back. We had 6 cylinders and eight cylinders come and go and back, we had four cylinders go and hopefully never to see the light of day again, but........
Dodge is Italian owned with a european mindset now and nobody knows what the future has in store. We do now have right hand drive mustangs for overseas. I for one despise the "global economy" crap, I liked it better when the USA was something to be proud of and we were looked up to and now it's just a let's join along mentality country.
Just look at the charger and magnum, they put a hemi in a station wagon and family sedan and they told you how cool you would be and people bought it hook, line and sinker. Would you buy a magnum today, I doubt it.
I can't write what the guys would have called you if you pulled up in a four door, worked car back in the 60's and 70's, maybe even the 80's.
Maybe the next gen challenger will be a four door , available only in an automatic/auto stick only but they will say you're so cool....... would you buy one then?

Enjoy what you have and can have now, because you never know what tomorrow brings.
Just my $.02

·
Super Moderator
17,470 Posts
That's not likely to happen - as it stands, the only way around the 6.4 GGT is by ordering the 8-speed automatic...which costs $1,400 extra and factoring in the removal of the $1k GGT (6-speed), you still spend $400 more and for a number of us...we don't want an automatic.

The 5.7 with either transmission doesn't have GGT, and remember...if a maker's fleet CAFE average falls below the standards, the mfgr. pays the fines. Eventually those get passed onto the consumer in higher MSRP.

There may likely be some tweaks to the 5.7 for future years for more efficiency and power - the current version is "one size fits all" with the exception of the Ram truck versions (different cams, emissions std., and top-feed variable intake). I could see where the possibility of a higher-performance version for the RWD passenger models to offer some differentiation.

The 6.4 "powered by SRT" engine is a premium engine, and the pricing will reflect that...and in the US market - buyers are price sensitive. A SP model starts @ $39.5k with no options (dest, GGT tax/6-speed).

A 5.7 R/T gives the buyer a lot more range in how few or how many options before hitting the $40k mark.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Where is Johnny Qualudes when you need him?

I say this run will be it for the Challenger for a while.......................just my guess, so after the ? 4 - 7 years of this model with minor modifications along the way my prediction is that is it until most of us are pushing daisies :sleep:.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,459 Posts
I believe, that the SXT/RT models will be phased out and replaced by another model entirely.

If the success of the Challenger remains as high as it has been, then the 6.4L Scat Pack and SRT will continue on, as will the Hell Cat as the Challengers we've all come to love (or fall in love with again).

The new models will most likely be smaller (lighter) and will also most likely retain the 5.7L and V6, but will be built to be competitive against road/track performance cars.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dodge loses all of its non-performance vehicles, but those smaller platform cars they currently have will either be dropped, or upgraded to performance levels. Dodge will becomes the performance arm of Chrysler

I also believe something special is coming for the Viper.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Euro-Ricer

Retro has run it's course. The people who remember them are getting old. The market has changed. 4 cylinder boosted rice or eurotrash tuner is the way ahead. (BTW, I like tuners also).

·
Premium Member
10,543 Posts
Retro has run it's course. The people who remember them are getting old. The market has changed. 4 cylinder boosted rice or eurotrash tuner is the way ahead. (BTW, I like tuners also).
Yes we do remember THE GOOD OLD DAYS and no I don't want cars to still be like the model T, lol. I'm a 50's child
I do like new things too, but certain new things aren't a step in the right direction. Our best days may well be behind us and it's the really old people who gave us what we have but many today aren't smart enough to keep it going. We still need people who work with their hands, to create things but no today we think everyone needs to sit at a desk pushing a pencil. I want things built here in the USA by Americans who spend their paychecks here. That keeps the economy going strong.
Life was better before cell phones with cameras and multiple computers in every house and COMPUTERS in cars. Don't forget how fat kids are from sitting playing video games all day today.
For the young guys here , I hope I'm wrong and you look back 40 years from now and say wow it was a great ride to get here....

Reactions: HDCowboy

·
Registered
545 Posts
There is also a bit of a middle ground between big American V8s and little ricers .
I think we will see the industry lean towards lower displacement forced induction engines
Something like the 3.0L V6 in the Jaguar F-type . The engine sounds amazing, makes about 380HP, and around 27MPG Highway or the Audi TFSI supercharged V6, etc .
Similar engines will become less costly and I think will end up in our good old American muscle cars.

·
Super Moderator
15,742 Posts
By model year 2025, CAFE standards will be in effect to increase fuel economy to the equivalent of 54.5 mpg for cars and light-duty trucks.

Because of this, V8s are doomed and we will probably see 4cyl turbos 6cyl turbos, or hybrids.

·
Registered
545 Posts
That's not likely to happen - as it stands, the only way around the 6.4 GGT is by ordering the 8-speed automatic...which costs $1,400 extra and factoring in the removal of the $1k GGT (6-speed), you still spend $400 more and for a number of us...we don't want an automatic.

The 5.7 with either transmission doesn't have GGT, and remember...if a maker's fleet CAFE average falls below the standards, the mfgr. pays the fines. Eventually those get passed onto the consumer in higher MSRP.

There may likely be some tweaks to the 5.7 for future years for more efficiency and power - the current version is "one size fits all" with the exception of the Ram truck versions (different cams, emissions std., and top-feed variable intake). I could see where the possibility of a higher-performance version for the RWD passenger models to offer some differentiation.

The 6.4 "powered by SRT" engine is a premium engine, and the pricing will reflect that...and in the US market - buyers are price sensitive. A SP model starts @ $39.5k with no options (dest, GGT tax/6-speed).

A 5.7 R/T gives the buyer a lot more range in how few or how many options before hitting the $40k mark.
Yea, you may be right, but as good as the engine has been, I don't think Chrysler will let it last unmodified for a few more years . Considering a decade has past, I have no doubt they can squeeze some extra MPGs and HP out of it

·
Registered
545 Posts
By model year 2025, CAFE standards will be in effect to increase fuel economy to the equivalent of 54.5 mpg for cars and light-duty trucks.

Because of this, V8s are doomed and we will probably see 4cyl turbos 6cyl turbos, or hybrids.
Don't companies like BMW and Benz just say *&%( it, and just pay the fines ?
In a sense they pretty much view Cafe standards as cost of doing business.

·
Premium Member
10,543 Posts
Don't companies like BMW and Benz just say *&%( it, and just pay the fines ?
In a sense they pretty much view Cafe standards as cost of doing business.
Fines are great, they don't fix a things but the government really only wants the money, nothing more and then they look the other way
Cars years ago could have been made to get high MPG's but they just bought out the inventor sine EVERYTHING has a price and then shelved it.. You can't buck the system in place as the oil companies make the rules.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts