Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I've got a 2013 RT with Track Pack. So far I've only added a catch-can, made the hood scoop functional with a Mopar CAI, and then did the resonator delete mod. I'm looking at doing more in the future but thinking headers/exhaust would be a good step.

1.) What's everyone's recommendation on headers? Does adding headers require a tune?
2.) Exhaust recommendations are tough, but I vaguely remember hearing about some Canadian company that built a cat-back system specifically tuned for the Challenger and it sounded mean just like the resonator delete mod. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
3.) If headers requires a tune, can the predator do that?

Thanks guys and gals!

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
well exhaust is something you can read about till you are blind.. everyone has a opinon on what they think is the best..

i would reccomend the following in no particular order or preference.. they are all good and good quality.. and fitment.
corsa, zoomers, magnflow, solo.. any of these are good.. there is a billion youtube video's on these.. listen to them and again. and again.. then try to find someone that has it on a car similar to yours.. help before you plunk down over a thousand bucks and then be unhappy with it.

now for the headers.. if you choose to do long tubes you have to get a CUSTOM TUNE. the loaded canned tunes on the preditor, intune, trinity won't do it. you will get cel lights. they make extensions for the rear o2 sensors that spaces the o2 sensors away from the center of the exhaust and that helps with the cel lights but that really isn't the RIGHT THING to do.. now if you go shorty headers to replace the cast iron manifolds you have then no you SHOULD BE OK.. from what i have read.

hope that helps a little
chris

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hey everyone,

I've got a 2013 RT with Track Pack. So far I've only added a catch-can, made the hood scoop functional with a Mopar CAI, and then did the resonator delete mod. I'm looking at doing more in the future but thinking headers/exhaust would be a good step.

1.) What's everyone's recommendation on headers? Does adding headers require a tune? Does your state require emissions testing? SRT headers are a good OEM option but you also will need SRT Mid Pipes and possibly the rest of the exhaust as well to mate up (these are considered shorty headers) or JBA also produces some good headers. Otherwise Go with Long Tube (LT) headers which will require some extra work (ARH, Kooks). Headers don't necessarily need a tune, but it is HIGHLY recommended if you want to get every last bit of power with that mod. Adding headers will cause your car to run lean, and running lean can cause problems down the road, the tune can help add fuel (richen) up the fuel so you don't lean out

2.) Exhaust recommendations are tough, but I vaguely remember hearing about some Canadian company that built a cat-back system specifically tuned for the Challenger and it sounded mean just like the resonator delete mod. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Not sure about whom you referring to, but since you did a resonator delete, not sure how much gain your expecting from an exhaust, if it's purely for sound I wouldn't waste the money. Corsa, Zoomers and Flowmaster are the popular choices... There are gains to be had with exhausts, but I think the factory exhaust is adequate and a resonator delete or replacement is all it needs to sound great.

3.) If headers requires a tune, can the predator do that? The Predator is outdated. Diablo has the Trinity now, T-1000, this is the only real option. I HIGHLY recommend getting one... If you just do headers and no other mods down the road, you don't need a tune, but if you decide to do a CAM swap, intake, Throttle Body, high flow cats, etc... you will need a tune to adjust accordingly.

Thanks guys and gals!
My answer are in bold

·
Banned
697 Posts
Hey everyone,

1.) What's everyone's recommendation on headers? Does adding headers require a tune?
They do require a custom tune, but of all the mods listed, headers give you the best

2.) Exhaust recommendations are tough, but I vaguely remember hearing about some Canadian company that built a cat-back system specifically tuned for the Challenger and it sounded mean just like the resonator delete mod. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
You are thinking of Solo. I personally would recommend with headers a Borla S-type or Corsa Sport.

3.) If headers requires a tune, can the predator do that?

Thanks guys and gals!

Someone will have to write a custom CMR tune for you. People like Johan do this via mail order all the time.

If you are looking for a great deal or package discount, just call us @ 443-730-9428 and will work out a Challengertalk special!

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
well exhaust is something you can read about till you are blind.. everyone has a opinon on what they think is the best..

i would reccomend the following in no particular order or preference.. they are all good and good quality.. and fitment.
corsa, zoomers, magnflow, solo.. any of these are good.. there is a billion youtube video's on these.. listen to them and again. and again.. then try to find someone that has it on a car similar to yours.. help before you plunk down over a thousand bucks and then be unhappy with it.

now for the headers.. if you choose to do long tubes you have to get a CUSTOM TUNE. the loaded canned tunes on the preditor, intune, trinity won't do it. you will get cel lights. they make extensions for the rear o2 sensors that spaces the o2 sensors away from the center of the exhaust and that helps with the cel lights but that really isn't the RIGHT THING to do.. now if you go shorty headers to replace the cast iron manifolds you have then no you SHOULD BE OK.. from what i have read.

hope that helps a little
chris
Will this cause an engine light to come on if I get the custom tune?

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
No a custom tune shuts off the rear o2's as well as changes some air fuel numbers

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a '13 with:
Zoomers cat back
CAI
BBK shorty headers
HemiFever custom tune
Motorad 180 tstat
Functional hood scoops

Stock RTs run 325-335 rwp on the dyno. With my mods I pulled a 355 rwp/ 389 tq on the dyno yesterday. Dont believe the power gain claims from the manufacturers.

You will not get CELs with the shorty headers. Now that you can tune a '13 you have the option to SC or add a cam if you are looking for major power boosters.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I just had my JBA Titanium Coated headers installed this past weekend and didn't really notice a difference in sound from the exhaust per se, I would venture that my resonator replacement and the headers sound about the same prior to the header install.

Not sure about any performance increase or decrease but seat of the pants feel, it does feel a little more peppy, if that makes any sense, up top it definitely wants to pull more than it did before.

I did adjust my WOT fuel to 2.5/5/5 but not sure if it made a difference, and I did notice 3-4 ST Knock, but I haven't had a chance to Data log to see where it's knocking... I will have to wait on getting the r/t a 6.4 cam upgrade..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts