Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I decided I needed a amp because my 8.4 Sound Group 1 with the 6 Alpine speakers wasn't loud enough.

I go to a nearby audio shop and they sell me a "Audiocontrol" LC-4.800 amp.

They install it (took them 8 hours, bad sign) and I figure out I'm only getting sound from the two front speakers, I also have no fader or balance.

So next day I take it back and the installer tells me I won't have a fader or balance because of the way he has to hook it up, tells me I need a 6 channel amp instead of a 4.
I tell him well YOU should have known that when I was looking to buy a unit you saw what kind of system I had.
So he adjusts the sound and makes it sound much better using all 6 speakers that I have but still no fader and balance. I don't really use the fader or balance once its set and it sounded good so I was going to live with that.

Then on the way home I get a phone call from the wife through the Bluetooth hands free and I can barely hear her and she sounds real muffled like shes talking through a pillow, I go to adjust the sound and it has no effect!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah been there, spent a ton, solved the problem. I the stereo's in these cars are like the Borg on Star Trek, all part of the U-Connect collective. I tried to keep parts and introduce new parts (non-uconnect) with great pain, trial and error BS. Long story short, I pulled out the entire Dodge uconnect systems, went to Dodge and they programmed the computer to stop polling for the amp and head unit otherwise you wake up in the morning to a dead car battery because the computer keeps looking for them until it responds come hell or high water (or dead battery) so once they stopped that, I installed myself a new Kenwood touch screen head unit, installed a Rockford Fosgate 60ix to run the 6x9 2way Rockford Fosgates I put in my doors (Yep, I ripped out all the Boston Acoustics everything and went with Rockford Fosgate everything), I installed a RF 4 channel amp to run rear deck speakers and 2 x 10" RF Punch subs in trunk and a 8" RF Punch sub in the rear window, and a small RF Punch amp to run the small speakers up on the front dash and the car pounds! I've had this for 3 years in my car and only side effect is now everything rattles when I have the sound off or under low Vol. All that bass loosened everything in the car. Would I do it again? No! It was a lot of work and rewiring the whole car, then I had to deal with a alternator whine, be damned if I could find the source but found a bad ground location and it went away. Looking back, the uconnect systems was good enough, I should have only just upgraded the cheap Mexico made Boston Acoustics speakers to Rockford Fosgate or any better speaker and I think that would have made the world of difference.

Another issue is two amps running in the trunk, pounding in the summer heat, gets hot in there real fast, I had to install cooling fans on my 4ch because it got just way too hot! Like fry eggs off it HOT!

Anyway not sure if this helps you but thought I would share.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, yeah that was a lot of work.

I like the 8.4" touch screen and the "FAV" button to let you store your favorite songs and artists although I've come to the conclusion that Sat radio plays the same songs over and over!
It's just that it wasn't loud enough.
They mounted my amp under the drivers seat, hope it doesn't get too hot there, I was surprised they had enough room with all the electronic stuff under there.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Not sure what shop you went to, but it sounds like they do not know what they are doing.... Most audio shops are pretty well versed at these cars by now because all the 8.4 cars across the board are pretty much the same, so not just challenger. I have a lot of experience in the audio system on this car and going aftermarket, but im on the pretty extreme end of aftermarket. However idatalink maestro just came out with the AR module that works with Audison AP8.9 bit and Select Kenwood amplifiers. From what I have been told that system is very plug and play and is awesome. Might look into that.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
However idatalink maestro just came out with the AR module that works with Audison AP8.9 bit and Select Kenwood amplifiers. From what I have been told that system is very plug and play and is awesome. Might look into that.
I would but I already spent hundreds for this amp and the install, I doubt they would give me my money back.
The system does sound good although to my ears it doesn't sound like 800 watts more than stock, it is louder though.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Quick question here guys. What about the Mopar OEM subwoofer/amp combo that fit's on the driver's side of the trunk? Any good? Thinking about getting one of those and new kicker speakers but keep my stock head unit. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
U won't have balance and fade because the audio control takes one full range signal from any speaker they choose and flattens out the signal. Then it sends that through amplification to the new speakers. It only needs one speaker. If the audio control has more then one input u should be able to input the speakers that r used for voice play back during a call and it should come through clear. At least that worked on my ms8. It does basically the same thing. There r always compromises with this kind of modification.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Wow, yeah that was a lot of work.

I like the 8.4" touch screen and the "FAV" button to let you store your favorite songs and artists although I've come to the conclusion that Sat radio plays the same songs over and over!
It's just that it wasn't loud enough.
They mounted my amp under the drivers seat, hope it doesn't get too hot there, I was surprised they had enough room with all the electronic stuff under there.
if it does, run your vented seats.. That will pull the heat off of it and warm your rump at the same time....

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
U won't have balance and fade because the audio control takes one full range signal from any speaker they choose and flattens out the signal. Then it sends that through amplification to the new speakers. It only needs one speaker. If the audio control has more then one input u should be able to input the speakers that r used for voice play back during a call and it should come through clear. At least that worked on my ms8. It does basically the same thing. There r always compromises with this kind of modification.

if that is the case, they need to find the lead for the speaker that the radio uses for phone conversations and use it.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if that is the case, they need to find the lead for the speaker that the radio uses for phone conversations and use it.
Doesn't it use ALL the speakers?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,045 Posts
The chimes and nav, etc. use the left front speaker I believe. The factory amp also handles the DSP, including fade and balance. The Maestro AR and certain Kenwood amps can control all that, keeping steering wheel controls and all phone functions, etc.

A Guy

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Is the factory amp for the system with the sub woofer in the rear deck plug and play with non-equipped cars? I would not mind adding that to may car. Is the Sub itself available and how hard to install it is it?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I believe it is only on the driver's side... like the "beep from the back up sensors, does not use all the speakers, at least from what I hear.
The nav uses the left front speaker or the door but only the left. The rear back up sensors will use the back 2 speakers and the hands free calling will come through I believe all the front speakers. I have the front three speakers hooked up to my dsp and I get calls over speakers.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Well that was an interesting video. I may have to check into that. It allows you to keep the head unit and have a better amp and speakers.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The shop is telling me now I need a 6 channel amp instead of this 4 if I want clear Bluetooth through the speakers ??

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wrong!
You need to leave that shop alone.

The AC amp you bought is great! It sounds like they wired two sets of speakers to a pair of outputs.

The phone issue is quite possibly headunit wiring related...and your shop doesn't appear to posses elementary car audio acumen (i.e. what does the amp have to do with BT calls? UNLESS it's a newer BT amp and that STILL doesn't affect call quality. Calls are processed THROUGH the H/U via BT. It's only a connected box...

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Wrong!
You need to leave that shop alone.

The AC amp you bought is great! It sounds like they wired two sets of speakers to a pair of outputs.

The phone issue is quite possibly headunit wiring related...and your shop doesn't appear to posses elementary car audio acumen (i.e. what does the amp have to do with BT calls? UNLESS it's a newer BT amp and that STILL doesn't affect call quality. Calls are processed THROUGH the H/U via BT. It's only a connected box...
Well, the installer called Audio Control direct and he said they told him he should have installed a 1200W 6 channel amp instead of a 800W 4 channel (because I have 6 speakers I guess??)
Anyway I went with the 6 channel amp and the Bluetooth sounds loud and clear now.

BUT......I have to go back because the radio keeps cutting out at high volume.
The installer said he just has to adjust the amp because the signal is "dirty" and the amp cuts out to protect itself.

BTW...the factory Alpine speakers are pretty damn good! They seem to handle the wattage ok and sound good....although they may wear out within a year or so.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts