Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To make a long story short... Car wash at dealership before bringing my baby to a muscle car show at Old Town resulted in carwash staff driving a Jeep into the rear of my brand new 2016 SPS 2 days after I bought it. Bumper needs to be replaced and repainted. Bezel around lights damaged. Chips in paint above tail lights. Not horrible, but enough to see its been in a fender bender.

Fast forward TWO WEEKS LATER - still no car and dealership keeps referring me to carwash company (3rd party that works at dealership) because apparently Fields passed the issue and the carwash company took my new SPS to some random auto body shop not associated with the dealership. Still can't get a straight answer on exactly where it is.

If that doesn't sound bad enough, just found out this morning the carwash employee physically drove my baby across town from the dealership without my knowledge or permission (rather than transporting on a truck which is standard body shop procedure even for cheap cars). When I told him I was ticked that he was joy riding in my brand new $50k performance car his response was "oh, sorry".

So not only is my brand new '16 SPS damaged (doubtful it will ever pass an appraisers inspection if I trade it in), it's no where to be found, and miles are being added by carwash staff. A letter to Dave Fields (owner of Fields) was passed on to the local GM who in turn called me up and had nothing to say other than small talk and said they would "put a new skin on it" (whatever that means, the entire bumper was being replaced and repainted). He was more concerned about my northern accent and changing the topic.

So in a nutshell - I would avoid this dealership at all costs. I've given them a dozen chances to make this right, they just keep passing the buck, making excuses, and are not even slightly interested in taking responsibility. I keep getting referred to this 3rd party carwash and God only knows when I'll see my car again. I opened a case with Chrysler today so they're aware of the situation and they offered to assist. They said these cases go against the franchise and are not taken lightly. A local attorney's office said I have a very solid "loss of value" case if all else fails.

All that I ask is that the car be sent to Fields' certified auto body shop (they have one in Orlando), repaired in a reasonable time, no miles added to the vehicle for joy rides, and I get regular updates. Is that too much to ask after a dealership damages your car? Apparently so when you're dealing with Fields. I honestly feel like I've been screwed over and not sure if I'm over-reacting. Not sure how any of you would handle this given the same situation.

The worst part is that the very best possible scenario is my brand new SPS will have a repaired bumper (hopefully paint matches) and additional miles from some carwash employee driving around town. That's the best I can hope for - not a feeling you should have after dropping nearly 50k on a brand new car. Just wanted to give you central Florida folks a heads up about this dealership. I had been buying from Greenway for years, but recently tried Fields in Sanford and really wish I hadn't. /end rant

:soapbox:

UPDATE 5/25: This issue has been resolved. The Challenger is back home in the garage safe and sound. Please see my update post here.

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
If they can't tell you where it is or produce it maybe call the police from the dealership and report it missing. Want to bet its location is known instantly?
Good luck, hope its satisfactorily taken care of.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats fahkin terrible bro,but, you get your car washed at the dealer? am i understanding this right?
I usually wash my vehicles myself - but this was brand new and salesman offered me a free car wash when I bought it 2 days earlier. Not even five minutes after I posted this thread the service manager called me up and said my car would be done tomorrow afternoon. Wondering if they have a internet guy that monitors these forums...

I'm praying the paint matches and not too many miles were added. I'll update this thread tomorrow.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I usually wash my vehicles myself - but this was brand new and salesman offered me a free car wash when I bought it 2 days earlier. Not even five minutes after I posted this thread the service manager called me up and said my car would be done tomorrow afternoon. Wondering if they have a internet guy that monitors these forums...

I'm praying the paint matches and not too many miles were added. I'll update this thread tomorrow.
think 'ferris buellers day off ' when they drop car off at garage.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,167 Posts
:surprise:

I can't figure out if I'm more depressed or enraged after reading that...that's literally a horror story!

I hope you're able to bring the whole sordid affair to some sort of acceptable conclusion eventually, from your standpoint of course. It sounds like you're making progress, so that's good...

It did get me to thinking though...I have previously always warned friends & family away from getting those "free" car washes when buying a car at a dealership, telling them something along the lines of, "Skip the Dealer Installed Scratches option and just take the car straight home once you sign the papers!"

I was always referring to the clear coat scratches the wash-monkeys at the dealership would invariably leave behind from their free wash. But now, after reading your story, I can finally say it with some conviction -
"Take the car straight home once it's yours!!
Do not pass GO.
Do not collect $200.
And for gosh sake, AVOID the free car wash at ALL costs!!
"

Let's just hope they listen to me...

·
Registered
937 Posts
Is there a number for Dodge main offices to file a complaint? If so I would contact them. I will research this later. There has to be a main number to file a complaint for local dealerships. I plan on filing one on the dealer I bought my Scat Pack from back in November. They somehow put me into an extended warr that I told them I wasn't interested in. When I traded it in for the Hellcat is when I found out they finagled it into the price. I canceled it and they still haven't refunded my money yet.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Never let someone else pick who is going to repair your car. My car goes to the same body shop I have used for over 20 years and when the owner (friend of mine) retires, his son is taking it over.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's another crappy part of the situation.... Service Manager told me directly to my face that they didn't have a auto body shop on site and it would be sent to the same one the dealership uses. Come to find out this was not true - first it was a shop Fields uses in Deltona then the carwash employee told me on the phone he drove it to "a guy that does a good job" in Ocoee. Makes me nauseous to know it's at some random shop likely in the ghetto to get the cheapest repair possible. This is the absolute worst buying experience I've ever had - and I've purchased 30+ vehicles in my time. It's not so much the damage - but the shadiness and lack of willingness to own the situation by the dealership that is disturbing.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would be talking to the dealer about undoing this deal as you only had the car 2 days. Maybe have them buy it back if you buy a new one.
Correction: After checking my detailed notes, this happened 4 days, not 2 days after I bought it. Bought it Monday, brought it in Friday for the wash before the car show. 2 days or 4 days - still horrible. I just wanted to correct my original post.

I tried to get the manager to undo the deal but no luck. Had to overnight a letter to the franchise owner to even get them to take me seriously. Even after that they still won't do anything - just keep referring me to this carwash guy. Hopefully others will think twice before visiting this dealership.

·
Registered
537 Posts
:surprise:

I can't figure out if I'm more depressed or enraged after reading that...that's literally a horror story!

I hope you're able to bring the whole sordid affair to some sort of acceptable conclusion eventually, from your standpoint of course. It sounds like you're making progress, so that's good...

It did get me to thinking though...I have previously always warned friends & family away from getting those "free" car washes when buying a car at a dealership, telling them something along the lines of, "Skip the Dealer Installed Scratches option and just take the car straight home once you sign the papers!"

I was always referring to the clear coat scratches the wash-monkeys at the dealership would invariably leave behind from their free wash. But now, after reading your story, I can finally say it with some conviction -
"Take the car straight home once it's yours!!
Do not pass GO.
Do not collect $200.
And for gosh sake, AVOID the free car wash at ALL costs!!"

Let's just hope they listen to me...

100% THIS :|
And also, don't forget to NOT GO for the "free" oil changes either. Don't go back for anything...., ever. Only bad things happen at these dealerships so avoid them at all costs. Once you sign papers get in the car and LEAVE and don't even drive by there again let alone drive onto the property. I really feel bad for you OP....... I'd fight for a new car. You don't need paint issues a year or two down the road and going back to get it fixed at that body shop that will probably be out of business by then. The only reason to ever go back to the dealer is if you have a major drive train failure which would be a warranty issue. Fix the little stuff yourself and/or get someone you trust to do it for you. A friend of mine took her Grand Cherokee to the dealer for her free oil change (1st change on new Jeep) and now the vehicle shakes at 60MPH. Brought it back to get it fixed. They (say) that they rebalanced the tires but it still does it. They told her it must have been that way when she brought it in for the oil change. Really ??? That's what they're going with ?? Who knows what happened when their lot kids drove it. Maybe someone took it for a lunch run.... Anyway,rant over... Good Luck OP, I hope things work out for you..:| Oh ya, Go RED SOX from a fellow New England native (Lowell, MA).:smile:

·
Registered
346 Posts
This >>>>
2 days after you bought it? That should have been really simple.

"I want my money back" or "Give me a new car".
It seems like it is about time to call an attorney and sue them for damages, loss of value, pain and suffering, and mental anguish. If they do not give you a new on then it's "Katie bar the door"

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
100% THIS :|
And also, don't forget to NOT GO for the "free" oil changes either. Don't go back for anything...., ever. Only bad things happen at these dealerships so avoid them at all costs. Once you sign papers get in the car and LEAVE and don't even drive by there again let alone drive onto the property. I really feel bad for you OP....... I'd fight for a new car. You don't need paint issues a year or two down the road and going back to get it fixed at that body shop that will probably be out of business by then. The only reason to ever go back to the dealer is if you have a major drive train failure which would be a warranty issue. Fix the little stuff yourself and/or get someone you trust to do it for you. A friend of mine took her Grand Cherokee to the dealer for her free oil change (1st change on new Jeep) and now the vehicle shakes at 60MPH. Brought it back to get it fixed. They (say) that they rebalanced the tires but it still does it. They told her it must have been that way when she brought it in for the oil change. Really ??? That's what they're going with ?? Who knows what happened when their lot kids drove it. Maybe someone took it for a lunch run.... Anyway,rant over... Good Luck OP, I hope things work out for you..:| Oh ya, Go RED SOX from a fellow New England native (Lowell, MA).:smile:
Agreed. Run for the hills! The dealerships are usually horrific.

·
Registered
63 Posts
100%

If they can't tell you where it is or produce it maybe call the police from the dealership and report it missing. Want to bet its location is known instantly?
Good luck, hope its satisfactorily taken care of.
Agreed. If you handed it to or it was brokered by the dealer they are liable.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts