Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
Nuke;8341505 but that just means we should give the good ones our business when we do run across one.[/QUOTE said:
Exactly what I do and why I say the bulk of dealerships do corporate no favors. When I find a good one I become a loyal customer and stay with them until I move or they change. That's how I ended up getting a VW back in the mid 1980s and stayed with that dealership and brand for as long as I could even though I preferred a different brand. In my current city there are two Dodge dealerships. One was pathetic (horribly sloppy service area, did not care about the customer and claimed my 6-speed vibration was due to the MDS. Even signed off the fix and billed Dodge as "MDS working as designed"). The other was good for several years and so I did several deals with them and had service done there. Now they are just as bad as the other so I go 150 miles to Phoenix to buy and only go to the dealer for recalls. Dealerships need to give training to their employees, even on the basics, on how to handle vehicles. Several years ago when I had a Silverado, I brought it in for noisy leaf springs, again (GM NEVER actually fixes anything). The ASE certified monkey pushed on both bedsides instead of the top bed rail, to duplicate the noise. Of course that put dents all along the bedside. How dumb are these people. That's your job to know about vehicles and it doesn't pop into your mind that sheet metal being paper thin for the last 30 years, if you push on unsupported body areas you will dent it? Astounding stupidity and yet, no one will try to instill basic sense into these guys. I've had stupid stuff done to my vehicles for decades which is why I pray I have no recalls. Unfortunately both my vehicles are affected by the cruise control recall so they'll get two more chances to damage my stuff if I choose to take that chance.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
update:

I'm disappointed that nothing came out of getting in touch with Dodge. The dealership did not owe up to anything and basically said I can't prove anything. So I had to spend money and fix everything myself. The biggest thing bothering me right now is my crushed passenger side rocker and they scuffed up the metal underneath and now it has a bit of rust. I'm pretty sure it happened when they carelessly jacked up my car in the middle in an area they aren't suppose to when they were sanding down my paint to fix a paint pimple. It's only on the passenger side and right below the spot they were fixing. At the end of it they didn't even apply any clear coat over the paint.

I think the least they could do for me is replace the passenger side rocker part for me and I could have it installed on my own. Also how could I fix the scuffed up metal and prevent it from rusting more? How does it look? Does your undercarriage have anything that looks like that or rust?

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/mopar-molding-sill~68185192ae.html?Make=Dodge&Model=Challenger&Year=2017&Submodel=&Filter=(E=ESG;T=DFK;M=R/T+392)

Is this the right part? For the passenger side?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,292 Posts
update:

I'm disappointed that nothing came out of getting in touch with Dodge. The dealership did not owe up to anything and basically said I can't prove anything. So I had to spend money and fix everything myself. The biggest thing bothering me right now is my crushed passenger side rocker and they scuffed up the metal underneath and now it has a bit of rust. I'm pretty sure it happened when they carelessly jacked up my car in the middle in an area they aren't suppose to when they were sanding down my paint to fix a paint pimple. It's only on the passenger side and right below the spot they were fixing. At the end of it they didn't even apply any clear coat over the paint.

I think the least they could do for me is replace the passenger side rocker part for me and I could have it installed on my own. Also how could I fix the scuffed up metal and prevent it from rusting more? How does it look? Does your undercarriage have anything that looks like that or rust?

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/mopar-molding-sill~68185192ae.html?Make=Dodge&Model=Challenger&Year=2017&Submodel=&Filter=(E=ESG;T=DFK;M=R/T+392)

Is this the right part? For the passenger side?
Hate to hear you couldn't get any resolution out of them. You could pursue it further and try to get that fixed, but at some point it isn't worth what you'd get out of it to continue to spend time and money on it. Sux for sure.

Yes, that is the right part for your car, as long as it is a 2015+ non-Widebody.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
i wouldn't take it back there to get it fixed that's for sure. i wouldn't mind just a reimbursement. what could I do for the fix? I'm wondering if a wheel guy could fix it. They fixed up my scuffed up wheel pretty nice like new. i'm wondering if he could work his magic on the under carriage just to prevent it from getting worse.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
here is a better picture. is there cause for major concern? is it more cosmetic? would I need to remove the rocker to touch up the metal they scuffed up? what would you guys do?

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,861 Posts
Take a sanding pen/scratch brush to the rust (wear eye protection), mask off the area and spray some under-body paint on it. Maybe some rust converter while you're at it.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Take a sanding pen/scratch brush to the rust (wear eye protection), mask off the area and spray some under-body paint on it. Maybe some rust converter while you're at it.
i'm guessing the rocker/ molding sill probably needs to be removed. i may get that replaced if it's going to need to be removed anyways because it's really bothering me. beating myself up wish i never brought my car for the body work there.

The part is 42.46 but with the shipping and everything it ends up being $67.64. The retail price is $61. Could that part be purchased from the parts department at a dealership?

If the dealership or Dodge could help me cover that cost it would be great. I still might have to have someone help me sand and spray under-body paint on it, etc. Not sure how much that would cost me. I'm already forced to live with the scratches to the lights, chin spoiler, etc.

·
Premium Member
5,292 Posts
here is a better picture. is there cause for major concern? is it more cosmetic? would I need to remove the rocker to touch up the metal they scuffed up? what would you guys do?
That area gets pretty beat up as it is just from driving and such, I don't think you have to worry about it rusting unless you live in a state which salts the roads during the winter. But even then, other places are more likely to be a rust starter spot.

I would just replace the rocker and be done with it. The quicker you can move on from the whole experience the better. Put your energy into something more positive like modding the car. This will just be a source of stress, best to put it out of your mind.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Sell the car while you can, get as much as you can for it, buy something else. The car will never meet your standards of quality. Move on, cut your losses, ease your stress level. Call it a lesson learned. OR... give up, learn to live with it, cut your losses, ease your stress, move on and enjoy the other good things life has to offer. OR... take the car to the shop of your choice, pay whatever it costs to fix it perfectly the way you want it, take the original dealer to court with a lawsuit for the monetary damages to fix their mistakes, cut your losses, ease your stress, move on and enjoy the other good things life has to offer.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
That area gets pretty beat up as it is just from driving and such, I don't think you have to worry about it rusting unless you live in a state which salts the roads during the winter. But even then, other places are more likely to be a rust starter spot.

I would just replace the rocker and be done with it. The quicker you can move on from the whole experience the better. Put your energy into something more positive like modding the car. This will just be a source of stress, best to put it out of your mind.
would you guys get that kind of damage from driving over some deep pot holes or something? i don't live in an area with salt on the roads during winter. it never snows here. i do see a speck of orange color. it does get wet minus salt mostly when I wash my car or it runs through something wet.

So long as it won't come back to be a problem down the road where it starts to get worse over time expand and break the car I could breathe a little easier. so it's a common area to get scrapped up? do a lot of you guys have similar damage? you guys just don't stress over it? i'm slowly moving out of my "honeymoon phase" i do intend to keep this car as long as I could. the last car I put in 185,000 miles. I just want it to last as it was my dream car since 2008 when the 6.1 SRT8 came out and now this one is even more powerful.

·
Premium Member
5,292 Posts
would you guys get that kind of damage from driving over some deep pot holes or something? i don't live in an area with salt on the roads during winter. it never snows here. i do see a speck of orange color. it does get wet minus salt mostly when I wash my car or it runs through something wet.

So long as it won't come back to be a problem down the road where it starts to get worse over time expand and break the car I could breathe a little easier. so it's a common area to get scrapped up? do a lot of you guys have similar damage? you guys just don't stress over it? i'm slowly moving out of my "honeymoon phase" i do intend to keep this car as long as I could. the last car I put in 185,000 miles. I just want it to last as it was my dream car since 2008 when the 6.1 SRT8 came out and now this one is even more powerful.
Mine is all scuffed up in that area, but it is a former cop car, so it’s had a harder life than most. Even still, there were incidents in my previous Challengers where I scraped that area by accident. Driving off of an unseen curb, running over ladders in the road, etc. are all things that could happen in daily driving and cause scuffs and scrapes to that area.

And there is no need to worry about a problem with rust starting there without some help, e.g. salted roads in the winter. It’s not just a realistic problem for the rest of us which don’t live in those states. Plus, I think that particular area isn’t steel but aluminum instead. If it is aluminum, there is no possibility of rust, so you’re good to go there too.

It won't expand over time either. That pinch weld is meant to be the interface point for the smaller jacks. It is reinforced to handle the weight of the car.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,861 Posts
That area is steel. Confirm by my jack pad that sticks magnetically.

Even if you're not in the snow/rust belt, I would at least sand the rusting dots down and use a paint touch up pen on it.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts