Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i didn't like the look of the bright amber and red side markers and clear part of the taillight on my '16 sxt. First I tried plastidip on the side markers which i dont recomend, it had a tendency to get dirty very easily and just didnt look good. So I peeled it all off and redid them with VHT Nightshades. The side markers are easy to remove from the car to paint but the taillight was a bit more difficult. I masked off the tail light from the inner edge of the red and started with a very light coat of nightshades followed by two more heavier coats. Then sand to matte with 1000 grit wet. Clean and dry well, then two coats of clear gloss. One round of wet sand with 2000 grit and a final coat of clear just thick enough for an even gloss.

Pretty pleased with the results and I think it will look even better once i have the windows tinted as well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Looks good !! Nice job I did not like the side markers either, went with the Oracle ghosted maker lights
Body color , yea they were pricey but really like the look

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks good !! Nice job I did not like the side markers either, went with the Oracle ghosted maker lights
Body color , yea they were pricey but really like the look
Thanks! Looks like those were worth the money! Lucky the black works well with my body color so i could do it cheap, I'm sure yours would have to more of a specialty thing.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,899 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man, that is a sexy beast! We really did go opposite directions on the tail lights! I like the look of yours too though! I left the red because i like the contrast with the black and dark grey of the car and the rear reflectors complimented the tails well too. Im planning on painting the calipers red or getting covers with some red to mux it up more and im working on converting all the interior lights to red. Once finished I think it will turn out pretty bad ass as well.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,899 Posts
Thanks, I was with you originally, white strips? I even have the tints when I bought the kit. When I considered tinting, I decided I wanted to make the cherry red more a black cherry red. I planned to tint the white if even just to take it down a bit. But since that is the brake lights, emergency lights, and the reverse lights, I decided to leave them be. I am happy with it. A slight tint would be OK, but I have no plans to do so.

A Guy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I was with you originally, white strips? I even have the tints when I bought the kit. When I considered tinting, I decided I wanted to make the cherry red more a black cherry red. I planned to tint the white if even just to take it down a bit. But since that is the brake lights, emergency lights, and the reverse lights, I decided to leave them be. I am happy with it. A slight tint would be OK, but I have no plans to do so.

A Guy
I had the same concern about the brake and reverse light too so I limited the tint to one light and 2 regular coats so, with the sanding stripping away a little of that, the end product looks sufficiently dark for my taste when unlit but the light comes through plenty. I do agree the red could be a bit darker but i also like the contrast a bit too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts