2,874 Posts
Could this be an April fool joke???

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Could this be an April fool joke???
Article was March 29 and

"The Financial Times reported on Wednesday that Renault intends to restart merger talks with Nissan within 12 months, after which it would set its sights on a bid to buy Fiat Chrysler."

EDIT: This is not going to happen for another year or few.

Title in my OP link should be changed. It looks like Renault is wanting to do all the buying after they try and merge with Nissan.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Article was March 29 and

"The Financial Times reported on Wednesday that Renault intends to restart merger talks with Nissan within 12 months, after which it would set its sights on a bid to buy Fiat Chrysler."

EDIT: This is not going to happen for another year or few.

Title in my OP link should be changed. It looks like Renault is wanting to do all the buying after they try and merge with Nissan.
Renault can kiss my alabaster white ass.

Keep your damn baguettes away from my American muscle!

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
On paper it looks decent. However, in reality it doesn't. I think a better fit is a scenario where they do a joint development of an entire platform that both could share the costs on.

If they bought out FCA you can kiss Chrysler and Dodge goodbye. They certainly are not going to spend the billions to develop all new product lines to fill out US only brands. I could see Alfa being sold off or shutdown as well. They would love to have instant marketshare in the US and have a solid Jeep and RAM as profit centers.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
On paper it looks decent. However, in reality it doesn't. I think a better fit is a scenario where they do a joint development of an entire platform that both could share the costs on.

If they bought out FCA you can kiss Chrysler and Dodge goodbye. They certainly are not going to spend the billions to develop all new product lines to fill out US only brands. I could see Alfa being sold off or shutdown as well. They would love to have instant marketshare in the US and have a solid Jeep and RAM as profit centers.

Specially when their offerings that compete with Ram/Jeep even have the most fervent Mopar haters admitting Nissan pick ups and SUVs are worse.

·
Registered
520 Posts

Perhaps this is why Carlos Ghosn keep getting arrested in Japan. They want to stop this merger-takeover. Ghosn deal hurt Nissan (Renault and Mitsubishi) Alliance in terms of stock prices and value. It will make things a lot harder to buy anyone or anything, let alone FCA where one would have to over pay for Jeep.

If we can turn back the clock, you can see how this deal could be attractive. Market shares are hard to gain. But as you said, buying another player in the game would equal instant market share.

There is NO WAY a Chinese brand car company can make in in the U.S. Would anyone buy a Geely car? But none of us would have any issues buying a Volvo, it's not a Chinese brand car, right? I suppose the same could be said about Dodge (FCA).

Nissan can fill the small and midsize gap left by the Dart and 200. Altima, Sentra, and Versa can fit in perfectly. Nissan has been dying for a real minivan since the 90s.

As for development of the future RWD platform, didn't they already said it's going to be Alfa based? And maybe the Nissan Maxima can return to be a 4DSC by sharing the same platform with Chrysler 300. I think Infiniti models and Chrysler can share alot.

FCA is still making the cars we love, our current cars, but the future has already left us.

From a different angle, this possibility is actually a good thing. Look at the alternative, Mustang, Camaro, Challenger market is not the future. Gas prices are going up, Jeeps and RAM trucks can only be hot for so long. Fiat vehicles can't save Chrysler/Dodge. Rebadged (shared platform) Nissans can.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
There is NO WAY a Chinese brand car company can make in in the U.S. Would anyone buy a Geely car? But none of us would have any issues buying a Volvo, it's not a Chinese brand car, right? I suppose the same could be said about Dodge (FCA).

Be careful with that mindset. People said that about the first Japanese cars... then larger luxury Japanese cars.... surely older people won't buy a Japanese car due to World War II... all bunk. Then Korean cars...

People buy Chinese electronics and now food is processed there. Why wouldn't they buy a Chinese car? The already are buying Buicks that are built in China right?

·
Premium Member
599 Posts

Be careful with that mindset. People said that about the first Japanese cars... then larger luxury Japanese cars.... surely older people won't buy a Japanese car due to World War II... all bunk. Then Korean cars...

People buy Chinese electronics and now food is processed there. Why wouldn't they buy a Chinese car? The already are buying Buicks that are built in China right?
So many of the American companies have outsourced up to 70% of their workforce over seas.. Mexico, China, India, Malaysia, etc... and almost all of the manufacturing has left the US, so I'm not sure what really constitutes buying much of anything that isn't actually produced in China or many of the other countries. I actually think the other countries invest more in America than American companies do. Example is FCA is looking to spend a few hundred million in a new facility in Michigan while GM is moving more out of the US.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Well said, and very true. If there are marketing lessons learned, it would be the pains and struggles of Hyundai, for example. We (now the older gen) associate Hyundai with Rodney King. It took Hyundai 35 years to become "respectable." Fans would even say that soul of BMW performance is in Hyundai now. 35 years is a long time.

Today, everyone is talking about Branding. It's about the image of the brand. No one cares that their iPhones are made in China.

(I could be wrong as you pointed out). Hisense Technologies could never market a phone in the U.S. no matter how good it is. But we may buy a cell phone from Haier. That's a German company right? My grandmother had a refrigerator from Haier.

Or market a Chinese phone, it would be hidden under English letters like HTC.

Samsung sounds ethnic. But LG does not. LG stands for "Lucky Goldstar." All the ethnicity has been removed from the LG name. Both are Korean companies from the start.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
So many of the American companies have outsourced up to 70% of their workforce over seas.. Mexico, China, India, Malaysia, etc... and almost all of the manufacturing has left the US, so I'm not sure what really constitutes buying much of anything that isn't actually produced in China or many of the other countries. I actually think the other countries invest more in America than American companies do. Example is FCA is looking to spend a few hundred million in a new facility in Michigan while GM is moving more out of the US.
It is all about tax incentives or lack there of to lure a company to invest in a specific area, politics also can play a big part and then number 3 is workforce.

·
Super Moderator
14,524 Posts
They would love to have instant marketshare in the US and have a solid Jeep and RAM as profit centers.
that sounds like what FIAT was trying to do - but the implementation had some big flaws

>re-introduce FIAT to the US market with one model...the 500, then the 500L
- perhaps trying to follow on the success of the MINI Cooper. But too slow, too small and frankly, it doesn't have the following MINI had

>re-launch Alfa Romeo models. The 4C was a flop; too expensive and limited appeal. The Guilia has some hope, the Stelvio seems to be falling short on sales

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Perhaps this is why Carlos Ghosn keep getting arrested in Japan. They want to stop this merger-takeover. Ghosn deal hurt Nissan (Renault and Mitsubishi) Alliance in terms of stock prices and value. It will make things a lot harder to buy anyone or anything, let alone FCA where one would have to over pay for Jeep.

If we can turn back the clock, you can see how this deal could be attractive. Market shares are hard to gain. But as you said, buying another player in the game would equal instant market share.

Nissan can fill the small and midsize gap left by the Dart and 200. Altima, Sentra, and Versa can fit in perfectly. Nissan has been dying for a real minivan since the 90s.

As for development of the future RWD platform, didn't they already said it's going to be Alfa based? And maybe the Nissan Maxima can return to be a 4DSC by sharing the same platform with Chrysler 300. I think Infiniti models and Chrysler can share alot.

FCA is still making the cars we love, our current cars, but the future has already left us.

From a different angle, this possibility is actually a good thing. Look at the alternative, Mustang, Camaro, Challenger market is not the future. Gas prices are going up, Jeeps and RAM trucks can only be hot for so long. Fiat vehicles can't save Chrysler/Dodge. Rebadged (shared platform) Nissans can.
Volvo's ****ing dead.

I could count the amount of new Volvo's I've seen on the road on my right hand alone.

I've honestly seen more Gulias out on the road, and a few of them were Quadrifolgios to boot.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
that sounds like what FIAT was trying to do - but the implementation had some big flaws

>re-introduce FIAT to the US market with one model...the 500, then the 500L
- perhaps trying to follow on the success of the MINI Cooper. But too slow, too small and frankly, it doesn't have the following MINI had

>re-launch Alfa Romeo models. The 4C was a flop; too expensive and limited appeal. The Guilia has some hope, the Stelvio seems to be falling short on sales
Yep. Tend to agree. All the meanwhile not having ANY new product in the Dodge brand since the introduction of the Durango in 2011 and the Chrysler brand has one new vehicle and one dated 4 door sedan that is in a dying segment.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts