Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay..last oil change, they replaced my tire valve caps with plastic ones.

They claim, with the tire-pressure sensors, the valves on those get stripped really easy with the metal caps. (My SE came with the Nitrogen logo chrome caps).

I'm kinda sad about this. The Nitrogen logo caps were kinda cool. But now they gave me these really cheap BRIGHT GREEN plastic caps. (and green SO doesn't go with the theme of my car).

Anyone else hear of this?? If so, did you find any nicer plastic caps anywhere? Please point me where, if you did!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Does your car have silver valve stems or black? If they're silver, I have a bag of grey plastic valve stem caps that I had gotten from NAPA after someone took all 4 caps off of my 09 RT about a year and a half ago:disgust::( My current car has black valve stems and subsequently black valve stem caps.
These are standard style caps (nothing special) but grey in color. If you want a few just let me know and I'll mail them to you.:)

·
Banned
804 Posts
If you have metal caps on the TPMS sensors you will wind up snapping the stems off. They metal caps corrode to the stems and when you go to twist the cap off it won't....if you force it you will wind up with a broken stem.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you have metal caps on the TPMS sensors you will wind up snapping the stems off. They metal caps corrode to the stems and when you go to twist the cap off it won't....if you force it you will wind up with a broken stem.
Yep. that's what they told me. So now I'm looking for plastic caps that aren't GREEN! hahaha

Gray, Black, or Blue would work.

Mark...the stems are grey. Yeah...I'll take 'em if you don't want them.

You want me to paypal you for the shipping or something?

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I would further this to say this may happen if you neglect your caps. My tire guy told me the exact same thing, and suggested I remove and reinstall my caps once a month. The stems look like they're made of alloy, and I run alloy caps so no dissimilar metals. I clean my wheels regularly, and pull off the caps just to check them at least once monthly while cleaning. So far, no corrosion whatsoever and they spin right off and right back on. If you go with non-plastic caps, I suggest alloy caps, and monthly checks. I wouldn't say you can't run them.

But that's just me..

·
Banned
804 Posts
I would further this to say this may happen if you neglect your caps. My tire guy told me the exact same thing, and suggested I remove and reinstall my caps once a month. The stems look like they're made of alloy, and I run alloy caps so no dissimilar metals. I clean my wheels regularly, and pull off the caps just to check them at least once monthly while cleaning. So far, no corrosion whatsoever and they spin right off and right back on. If you go with non-plastic caps, I suggest alloy caps, and monthly checks. I wouldn't say you can't run them.

But that's just me..
Don't rely on that.....this has been an issue for years and even the most meticulous have gotten bit.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Yea, I'm watching them closely. I'm guessing it helps that I never drive when there's salt on the roads.

·
Registered
461 Posts

But that's just me..
I don't know much about valve stems or valve stem caps.
But just because they are both alloys, that doesn't assure they are not dissimilar metals.

An alloy can come in many different base metals (about 25 different base metals, e.g., aluminum, nickel, zinc, etc.) Add a little electrolyte and you have yourself a battery (galvanic corrosion) if metals are not the same. Now, know that some dissimilar alloys can be used together because their galvanic reaction is very very small.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I don't know much about valve stems or valve stem caps.
But just because they are both alloys, that doesn't assure they are not dissimilar metals.

An alloy can come in many different base metals (about 25 different base metals, e.g., aluminum, nickel, zinc, etc.) Add a little electrolyte and you have yourself a battery (galvanic corrosion) if metals are not the same. Now, know that some dissimilar alloys can be used together because their galvanic reaction is very very small.
I stand corrected... thank you.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Actually there's more to it than just corosion.
The metal caps could interfere with the signals from the TPMS sensors, as the valve stem is the antennae. If you have the TPMS's then you need to stick to plastic caps.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Anybody hear of anti-seize? The same stuff you put on your spark plug threads and lug nuts. If you want to run shiney chrome caps do it! Coat the threads with anti-sieze and see if the sensors report back to the mother ship. I doubt if anybody will have any problems.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I have no problems with my TPMS..

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Actually there's more to it than just corosion.
The metal caps could interfere with the signals from the TPMS sensors, as the valve stem is the antennae. If you have the TPMS's then you need to stick to plastic caps.
If the valve stem is the antenna, please explain how the standard rubber schrader valves on the R/T classic wheels transmit? I believe you are mistaken on your assumtion.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have had my car for two years and a few days. One of the first things I did was replace the plastic gray valve stem caps with stainless steel caps. Granted it does not see a lot of rain or snow but I just went out and checked and after two years they screwed right off. I have never had a low tire pressure warning either.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Thought I'd jump in with an experience of my own with metal (alloy) caps. On a previous car, got some with the car's manufacturer logo on the caps - looked cool. Several months later, I was going to check my tire pressure - I usually do that monthly, so I'd had the caps off many times before without issue. This time one of the caps was stuck really bad. So bad that with trying WD40 and a small wrench (it had a hex shaped cap), the whole stem started to bend to the point it was obvious I'd rip out the stem before the cap broke loose. Had to go to a tire shop to have the whole stem replaced (they had to cut the stem to remove it, they couldn't get the cap off either). They told me not a good idea to use anything buy plastic caps, as it is common for metal to sieze up like mine did. I've followed that advice since.

On the TPMS, its not that the stem is the antennae, rather it houses the antennae. The newer TPMS (and replacements) on the Challenger come with a black plastic valve stem assembly and cap. The older ones (and some original 2010s) have a gray aluminum stem with a matching colored plastic cap (mine are like this). The aluminum stem is held in place by a small nut visible on the outside of the stem, below the cap a bit. The newer and replacement black plastic TPMS stems don't have the nut. Both stems house the system, to include the antennae.

I did a bunch of research on TPMS prior to putting on some aftermarket wheels. Wanted to ensure the TPMS wasn't going to be an issue - its not, you can just swap them over. During that research, I found that chrome caps do supposedly interfere with TPMS transmissions and are not recommended. That same research also recommended against metal caps in general for siezure problems.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Have a set of metal with the SRT logo in the center had them 4 years on my Magnum SRT 8 never a problem but never had the car in any rain or snow. Put them on my Challenger when I sold the MSRT.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Schrader® Technical Bulletin
Approved OEM Requirement for Replacement of Sealing & Wearable Components on TPMS Sensors

TPMS PRODUCT REFERENCES
Product Description
Nut - Anodized Aluminum Nut
Valve Core - Special Nickel Plated Valve Core
Cap - Plastic or Aluminum Sealing Cap

The cap is the primary seal to the external corrosive environment. The cap contains a rubber seal, which prevents contamination (eg. salt, abrasives) and moisture (eg. water, oil, harmful solvents) from entering the stem and contaminating the seal of the valve core, making the cap an integral component in the overall sealing system of the TPMS sensor. Note the use of a sealing grommet in the cap, unlike most passenger car type dust caps.
It is also important to use the plastic replacement cap to ensure that a dissimilar metal cap is not used to contact the aluminum stem. Field studies have shown that using a dissimilar metal cap (brass) can cause galvanic corrosion between the cap and the stem, resulting in the cap being stuck to the stem. Use of excessive force, or improper tools, can also damage the cap and or stem.
Note: DO NOT use any type of metal gripping tool to tighten or loosen the cap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nitrogen Valve Caps

Okay..last oil change, they replaced my tire valve caps with plastic ones.

They claim, with the tire-pressure sensors, the valves on those get stripped really easy with the metal caps. (My SE came with the Nitrogen logo chrome caps).

I'm kinda sad about this. The Nitrogen logo caps were kinda cool. But now they gave me these really cheap BRIGHT GREEN plastic caps. (and green SO doesn't go with the theme of my car).

Anyone else hear of this?? If so, did you find any nicer plastic caps anywhere? Please point me where, if you did!
Not sure how this works Skeety. I sell a boat load of nitrogen valve caps. There can be a problem in wet and salty conditions with the chrome plated ABS caps - they can anodize. However, a thin layer of dialetic grease on the valve stem should eliminate the potential problem. Don't use brass or aluminum ones they will give you problems.

Make sure that the caps are long enough to cover all of the brass on the valve stems. If they do, you are probably safe. If they don't you probably have snap in TPMS sensors that have a longer thread length than standard ones. Extended length caps are available for this application at about a dime each.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,734 Posts
Yep. that's what they told me. So now I'm looking for plastic caps that aren't GREEN! hahaha
I'll take your GREEN ones!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts