Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Challenger Scat Pack, 6 Speed manual, with the Shaker hood. Is nitrous a cheaper way to get horse power when you need it?

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,142 Posts
It's the cheapest way yes, lots of threads on nitrous for the 392

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yes, nitrous can be a very economical way to add power on-demand. However, be careful with the 392 motor. They have a reputation for a relatively low tolerance for nitrous, or any other power adders. This is mostly due to the piston material. They are called hypereutectic pistons. While this material is great for it's long term wear characteristics, the downside is that it is also very brittle. Many people have found this out the hard way with broken piston ring lands as a result of overboosting.

The consensus on nitrous seems to be no more than a 100hp jet on a stock motor. Beyond that you are taking considerable risk. Even at 100hp you will likely need a colder set of spark plugs (16 of them) at least. For most people, a 100hp bump is satisfactory. However, once you get used to it....you will always want more! Take the time to research this and spend the money on a quality system. Then, have fun!

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,142 Posts
Actually its mostly the rings that are problematic with the 392. Ring gaps are tight and tend to close up and blow the motor with power adders. It's usually due to the tune or just adding too much nitrous/boost. A 100 shot seems to be the consensus on whats safe to run with the 392.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Actually its mostly the rings that are problematic with the 392. Ring gaps are tight and tend to close up and blow the motor with power adders. It's usually due to the tune or just adding too much nitrous/boost. A 100 shot seems to be the consensus on whats safe to run with the 392.
agreed... hypereutectic pistons are fine and handle boost and nitrous fine.... what the DONT handle is detonation. The margin of error is far less because they are brittle when it comes to detonation. If you dont detonate and your tuning is on point you wouldnt have any more of a problem than with any other motor (respectfully).

to the OP.... there is a large respect one needs with running the giggle gas on a car. EDUCATE EDUCATE EDUCATE yourself on the pros and cons, what nitrous backfire is, wet vs dry kits, jetting and tuning, the whole lot. Nitrous gets a bad rap with people because its quick cheap and easy to make big power.... but because its all of these people just slap it on not knowing enough about whats going on inside their motors while on the bottle. With knowledge/planning/understanding of a good nitrous setup you can run one and still have a motor that lives a long and healthy life. By your question in your first post Im going to easily assume you dont know a whole bunch about it. I would hate to see you go $8k in debt all because you didnt take that extra few minutes to research what you were doing, because set up improperly or sprayed too low in the rpm range, or with too much load on the motor and you will toast a motor before you can make a single pass.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Totally agree. Same rule of thumb apples for superchargers . Everyone thinks slap it in and roll. The down fall is belt issues detention and other underlying issues most don’t think or get concerned about until it happens to them then they are mad lol
I spent 10,000 of thousands on mine and massive headache and I planned and did all my own work lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
257 Posts
Totally agree. Same rule of thumb apples for superchargers . Everyone thinks slap it in and roll. The down fall is belt issues detention and other underlying issues most don’t think or get concerned about until it happens to them then they are mad lol
I spent 10,000 of thousands on mine and massive headache and I planned and did all my own work lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
100% correct as well... the up side to blowers is that people that are ready to drop $7000 for a power adder usually do a little more research..... unfortunately the big thing now is being "self tuned".... I 100% support people learning and educating themselves more, but once you step into the big power world you better be on your A game with that tune. I spent 15k in my cobra motor counting getting my blower kit at cost from procharger when I was working in a shop and I wasnt about to skimp out on tuning. I had WAY WAY too much to lose in that build and it payed off by making a reliable 700whp on an 01 cobra back in 2004... 700whp is easy to make these days though (new SRT with a blower and tune, new mustang gt with a blower, done.) Back then..... not nearly as obtainable of a goal. We were starting out with cars making 290whp stock and adding 100% more power, these new cars are making over 400whp and adding 80% more power over stock.

dont get me wrong, Im not tooting my horn, its just money. I built my cobra for bragging rights and everyone took me so serious for having a big HP car. People immediately think you know what you are taking about because obviously you are making big power. But being "that guy" that had an 800hp car, let me be the first to say, Ive met a lot of ignorant people that just handed over tons of cash and got a big power car to show for it. Dont take anyones advice based on the fact that they own a boosted car or bottle fed car, who knows who actually designed the build, thats the guy you want to take advice from.

OP...Im just another nobody, hell the fastest thing I own now is an old 91 chevy pickup >:) and I DD a Ford focus. Dont take my opinion as gold if you dont want to. But do educate yourself before you go broke fixing a screw up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts