Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Challenger R/T with Boss 338 18x8s. When it is time to replace the rear tires I wanted something wider. See anything wrong with the NITTO 420's 255/50 R18?

Its around an inch wider and show to fit my 8" rims.

They say that they are a SUV tire, but i see some here have ran them with good life. This car is a weekend driver and not for performance at the track.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I have 420s 255/55/18s on my car. Wanted more sidewall with all the potholes we have around here.

Attachments

·
Banned
642 Posts
I had these on my car. 285/40 20's in the rear. I like these tires alot. They are very quiet, balance well, look good and are very inexpensive. They are only rated as an SUV tire because they have a high load rating (heck our Challengers weight a ton anyway).

Only one disadvantage, they have a very high wear rating which means they are not a sticky tire (and therefore will last a long time) but sounds like this is not a big deal for you so they should be perfect.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replys, they do sound like what I need. Anyone have any rear view shots of them mounted.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I also have the 285/40/20's on the rear of my SRT and the 255/40/20's on the front. Great tires and as far as traction goes, it doesn't matter what is on the back, I have a Techco S/C and they all go up in smoke. I also do not need to go 175mph on the street.
No clearance problems whatsoever. I am running the factory SRT wheels that have been black chromed.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Will these actually grip with a SRT-8 in 275\40\20? I have the NT05s on but these bad boys wear quickly! Paranoid as my prior F1 Supercar Good Years just constantly spun upon launch...they were 255's though, NT05's stick like glue I can floor it from a stand still and it grips, feel like AWD, but the life is just eek

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
For the money a very good tire and they work well I never had a issue with them still have them on my SRT Chrome replicas the fronts are wearing excellent the rears well let just say they have seen plenty of abuse. :thumbsup:

285/40/20 & 245/40/20 on 9x20 rim

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Can these 420S's really put down the torque the SRT-8 delivers in 275\40\20? o_O, due to the tread rating I'd figure they would just slip all day...

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I've had my eye on these tires, except for the fronts as a direct size replacement for the stock 235-55/r18 Michelins. Anybody have any idea how well the Nitto 420's will compare in lateral grip and turn-in in the exact same size as the Michelins? Will it be about the same or a significant improvement?

·
Registered
427 Posts
I order my tires today. NT420S 255/40/20 for the front & 285/40/20 for the rear. $734 for all 4 from my local tire store.

Tomorrow my Wife & I are flying out to Daytona for our SRT Track Day both as drivers. Hopefully my tires will be waiting for me when we get back.

·
Registered
536 Posts
so if I ran the 255/55/18's on my unlowered RT with Bilstein shocks how much of a gap would I have between the tire and the wheel well both front and back? I want to lower my car with Eiback pro kit (1.7" drop) but would putting on a taller sidewall give the same look? I am currently running the stock tires that came with the car which are the 235 Michelins for the 18" wheels.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
Anyone run the nt420s in the snow? GOOD, BAD, UGLY?
I got caught in the snow with them they did okay the front tire being 245/45/20 tracked just fine but the 285/40/20 was to wide just kept thinking about the song slipslidinaway...lol my buddy ran them on his magnum and he said they work good also not great just good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts