Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to confirm something I was told by another member that I am having just a little trouble with. Not that I don't believe him, I just figure he may have his sizes mixed up or something.

OK. Here is the question:
Are you running (or can you confirm in one fashion or another) that the Nitto NT05 315/35ZR20 (or NT05R 315/35R20) will fit on the factory SRT8 wheel (which I believe is 9") and factory suspension?

I need the contact patch provided by this wider tire, but looking at nittotire.com tells me that approved wheel width is 10.5-12.5 for the 315. Obviously, I can go with the 275, but I will lose about 1 1/2" with that size. To answer the other obvious question, I am trying to keep the factory wheels on the car because it has a really good "Sleeper" look to it and I want it to stay that way.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
I had the 315/35/20 555r's on with no problem, not sure about the NT05.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
Jim all day long bro here is a picture of Mopar 408

Pam and Joes SRT8 Challenger

one more just took for you

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the 315/35/20 555r's on with no problem, not sure about the NT05.
I don't even see that size listed on their site for the NT555R, except in the 17" model. They must have stopped production of it for some reason.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I just wanted to be sure. Don't want to order a set and have them pop off the wheel because it is too narrow.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
I don't even see that size listed on their site for the NT555R, except in the 17" model. They must have stopped production of it for some reason.
It's been a year, might have been a 305.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I still don't get how the tread sits right....I asked about anything above a 275\40\20 for the SRT-8 @ Discount Tire and they said if I went with a 305 etc that you would see extremely abnormal wear because some tread would be contacting where other tread never would, like i.e. they took paint and rolled over it with a 9" wheel w\ 305, it didn't fully mark all the tread on the tire, missed a good bit, the 255\45\20 covered marked all of it

·
Banned
863 Posts
The 315/35/20 will fit the 9" wheel but looks a bit strange with the bulge. You are better off with a 10 - 10.5 - or 11 inch rear.
Old school tires would bulge out with a larger sidewall - they looked good. With a smaller sidewall like the 315/35/20 they look funny when they bulge out in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
The 315/35/20 will fit the 9" wheel but looks a bit strange with the bulge. You are better off with a 10 - 10.5 - or 11 inch rear.
Old school tires would bulge out with a larger sidewall - they looked good. With a smaller sidewall like the 315/35/20 they look funny when they bulge out in my opinion.
I don't see how 315/35/20 will be any better than 275\40\20 on a 9" rim...all the extra tread the 315 offers isn't going to be planted right with a 9" rim, you're gonna have obvious uneven wear, you'd be better off with 275\40\20, I just wish they started making 275\45-50\20

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
I don't see how 315/35/20 will be any better than 275\40\20 on a 9" rim...all the extra tread the 315 offers isn't going to be planted right with a 9" rim, you're gonna have obvious uneven wear, you'd be better off with 275\40\20, I just wish they started making 275\45-50\20
So far no uneven wear in the least it does work but if your looking for the larger side wall a 295/45/20 will give you that the only problem is you are limited to certain tires but it does give you a old school look here is a picture with 245/40/20 & 295/45/20 on 9" rims

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As Jeff mentioned, I have that size in both the NT05Rs and my Vred street tires. Love um!
@Mopar408
You are running those on the factory wheels? I am also curious about the Vreds. I was considering a set of those, but havent had any feedback on them from anyone except Steve @ RDP, and he loves them. Which model of the Vred are you running? Don't know if you are familiar with my car (from talking to Jeff), but I have a ton of power that I need to hook up, and I am going to try everything I can with the stock wheels so I can keep that "sleeper" look.

·
Registered
446 Posts
@Mopar408
You are running those on the factory wheels? I am also curious about the Vreds. I was considering a set of those, but havent had any feedback on them from anyone except Steve @ RDP, and he loves them. Which model of the Vred are you running? Don't know if you are familiar with my car (from talking to Jeff), but I have a ton of power that I need to hook up, and I am going to try everything I can with the stock wheels so I can keep that "sleeper" look.
RB-

Yes on factory wheels. I'm running the seesantra (sp?) tire. I'm happy with them and wear has been fine to date. They definitely seem to be a "summer" tire as traction does degrade as the temps fall. However, they have hooked fairly well on the street. At the track, they are like any other street radial - not enough side wall for good launching.

Overall, I'm pleased with them.

Rob

Rob

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all for you input. I think I am going to take a pair of the Nittos for a walk in the park. Now I just have to decide between the NT05 and the NT05R. I am leaning toward the NT05R because my car spends a lot of time in the garage. When I do get it out, I am usually lookin' for a race.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
34 Posts
305 and 315 nitto's whether its the invo or nto's are not available anywhere,they are on national back order. discount tire called nitto while i was there and they can't even say if they will be making that size anymore. same with the 295/40/20 bfg's.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I'm looking to install Nitto NT05 315/35-20 tires this spring, they seem to be available. I'm planning to send my factory SRT8 wheels to Weldwheels in Michigan to get them widened.

Should I go to 10" or 10.5"?? Will I need to use any wheel spacers to get them to fit?

·
Banned
863 Posts
I'm looking to install Nitto NT05 315/35-20 tires this spring, they seem to be available. I'm planning to send my factory SRT8 wheels to Weldwheels in Michigan to get them widened.

Should I go to 10" or 10.5"?? Will I need to use any wheel spacers to get them to fit?
I would go 10.5 just because the tire would look wider and a 315 is better suited for a larger rim.. And yes, you will need wheel adapters (not spacers) because the widened wheel will hit the inside. When they widen the wheels, they do it from the inside. You need to push the pad outwards with wheel adapters. You will have to cut your lugs down to fit with-in the adapter and use the new lugs that come with adapters.
This is what an adapter looks like..
http://zapleaf.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Wheel-Adapter-Spacer.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts