Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I've had my 2010 Challenger R/T for a month and had a question. On the door there is a key hole for what looks to be a metal key. I never got that metal key from Dodge. I was only given two "key" remotes which have buttons for panic, doors and trunk. My question is,

1.) should I of gotten an actual metal key for opening the door.
2.) what if both key remotes run out of batteries, then how will I get into my car?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look at your FOBs there's a release button and a medal key will pull out
Haha, very cool! I just tried it and a key popped out. Thanks for your help. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
If you use the key to open the door the alarm will go off as I found out the hard way. :scratchhead:

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you use the key to open the door the alarm will go off as I found out the hard way. :scratchhead:
How did you disable the alarm? I'm guessing if the key FOB is out of batteries you can't shut off the alarm, unless once you put the key in the ignition?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just had this happen the other day after work. My key fob wouldn't unlock the car so.......pulled the key and did it old school....alarm went off. I used the key to pop out the push to start button and used the fob to start the vehicle.....again using the old school method. Thankfully the car did start and disabled the alarm :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Very weird... Using the key sets off the alarm? What the ____?????

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's the dealer's responsibility to go over things like this with you. Sad.
I give credit to my dealer finding the exact car I want. He was professional, and worked to give me a good deal. But in my excitement I didn't ask these sort of questions. You're right though, he could of also gone over stuff like this with me.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Will the key fob start the car, even if the fob's battery is dead? If not, then I really can't think of any reason to bother including the steel key, since it will set the alarm off anyway.

·
Registered
574 Posts
id guess the steel key there in case your car battery dies cause then ud have no way to open the doors of the car at all. with the steel key u can and the alarm wont go off cause the battery is dead.

if your fob battery is dead you can still get into the car if u want but your not screwed in the sence that you could just go get a new fob battery (u dont need to get into the car to change the fobs battery) but if the car battery is dead and u didnt have a steel key how would you get into the car to pop the trunk to change the cars battery?

·
Registered
427 Posts
My key FOB battery died after 6 months. Luckily I was at home. Now I keep a spare key FOB battery in the console. My saleman didn't tell me about the key. I read the owner's manual & found it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
It's the dealer's responsibility to go over things like this with you. Sad.
The salesmen when doing the final paper worked handed me this paper to sign that said he went over all the features, but he hadn't. He said he would once the car was fueled and ready to drive out. He of coarse did not, which would not have mattered because he didn't' know anything about it. I had done a lot of reading before I went so I was already pretty familiar with everything. I did have to find the key thing on my own, though.

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
If your fob battery is dead you can still get into the car if u want but your not screwed in the sense that you could just go get a new fob battery (u dont need to get into the car to change the fobs battery) but if the car battery is dead and u didnt have a steel key how would you get into the car to pop the trunk to change the cars battery?

You do not need a battery in the fob for the ignition system to sense the key- the embedded transponder chip performs this function. The battery is only to send the RF signal to operate the lock/panic functions.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
id guess the steel key there in case your car battery dies cause then ud have no way to open the doors of the car at all. with the steel key u can and the alarm wont go off cause the battery is dead.
The steel key is also there so that you can lock/unlock the glove compartment door when you want to secure something in there.

Go in for service (or use valet), lock the glove box door, "pop out" the key, then hand the guy/gal the key FOB.

Simple and easy-like...

·
Registered
939 Posts
You do not need a battery in the fob for the ignition system to sense the key- the embedded transponder chip performs this function. The battery is only to send the RF signal to operate the lock/panic functions.
...................X2

·
Registered
427 Posts
I know for a fact my SRT8 would not start with the key FOB battery dead. I tried to start it but it could not detect the key FOB. After I replaced the battery I was able to start the car.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts