Dodge Challenger Forum banner

No actual key for new Challengers?

8K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  itzrick 
#1 ·
Okay so I've had my 2010 Challenger R/T for a month and had a question. On the door there is a key hole for what looks to be a metal key. I never got that metal key from Dodge. I was only given two "key" remotes which have buttons for panic, doors and trunk. My question is,

1.) should I of gotten an actual metal key for opening the door.
2.) what if both key remotes run out of batteries, then how will I get into my car?

Thanks in advance

#8 ·
Just had this happen the other day after work. My key fob wouldn't unlock the car so.......pulled the key and did it old school....alarm went off. I used the key to pop out the push to start button and used the fob to start the vehicle.....again using the old school method. Thankfully the car did start and disabled the alarm :thumbsup:

#10 ·
Very weird... Using the key sets off the alarm? What the ____?????

#13 ·
Will the key fob start the car, even if the fob's battery is dead? If not, then I really can't think of any reason to bother including the steel key, since it will set the alarm off anyway.

#14 · (Edited)
id guess the steel key there in case your car battery dies cause then ud have no way to open the doors of the car at all. with the steel key u can and the alarm wont go off cause the battery is dead.

if your fob battery is dead you can still get into the car if u want but your not screwed in the sence that you could just go get a new fob battery (u dont need to get into the car to change the fobs battery) but if the car battery is dead and u didnt have a steel key how would you get into the car to pop the trunk to change the cars battery?

#17 ·
If your fob battery is dead you can still get into the car if u want but your not screwed in the sense that you could just go get a new fob battery (u dont need to get into the car to change the fobs battery) but if the car battery is dead and u didnt have a steel key how would you get into the car to pop the trunk to change the cars battery?

You do not need a battery in the fob for the ignition system to sense the key- the embedded transponder chip performs this function. The battery is only to send the RF signal to operate the lock/panic functions.

#23 · (Edited)
The push button will not work but what I think cuda was talking about is popping the button off and putting the FOB in there like a key and turn it. I know I gave mine an error once and the push button didn't work but it still started useing the FOB as a key.
Troubleshooting: One FOBIK works with the start button but my other FOBIK says "Key not detected" and will not start the vehicle. It will however start the vehicle with the FOBIK used as a key directly into the WIN module.

#24 ·
The push button will not work but what I think cuda was talking about is popping the button off and putting the FOB in there like a key and turn it. I know I gave mine an error once and the push button didn't work but it still started useing the FOB as a key.
Troubleshooting: One FOBIK works with the start button but my other FOBIK says "Key not detected" and will not start the vehicle. It will however start the vehicle with the FOBIK used as a key directly into the WIN module.
I didn't know the start button popped off to reveal a key slot. Good to know , thanks

#30 ·
I was told recently that most modern keys have some sort of magnetic doohicky in them, and that if you have your key copied at home depot or something, it won't start the car. Not sure about simply unlocking. Is this true?

And did we decide that the 'emergency key' can start the car if you remove the push button?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.