Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen pictures of the 5.7 that show an EGR tube feeding into the front of the intake by the throttle body, but my 5.7 (circa 2012) does not have such a setup.

In fact, I cannot find an EGR tube anywhere on the topside. I cannot imagine they got rid of the EGR system altogether, but if it's still there, it is certainly hidden well.

What am I missing here?

no egr.jpg

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
There is no EGR on a 2012 5.7L. It uses variable cam timing to achieve the same thing: Drawing spent exhaust gas back into the combustion chambers to cool the combustion temps, and reduce NOX emissions under the right driving conditions.

Reactions: Nuke

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is no EGR on a 2012 5.7L. It uses variable cam timing to achieve the same thing: Drawing spent exhaust gas back into the combustion chambers to cool the combustion temps, and reduce NOX emissions under the right driving conditions.
Well hellz bellz, I won't know what to do with myself if I don't eventually end up with a carbon-fouled EGR valve at some point...and I've become so used to my engines developing a vacuum leak along the EGR tube somewhere, it's going to be hard to sleep at night knowing that is no longer something I can count on. :crying:

Gentlemen, this is truly a strange new world we find ourselves in!

What's next, cars that will hit the brakes for you and warn you when someone is in your blind spot?!?!

Yup, but that does not stop the header manufacturer from adding an EGR tube nor the gasket manufacturers.
Come on now, kids gotta eat, right? Whether they be yours, mine, or the bass-turd spawn of the slack-jawed troglodytes that make the headers and gaskets for our cars, kids gotta eat!

Won't you please think of the children?!?!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Won't you please think of the children?!?!

Oh I do, in fact, I think of those poor children every time I put on my argyle sweater made in Bangladesh sweatshops (which I thought was short for sweatershop)....too bad it is almost summer. :disappointed:

Good thing my T-shirts are made in China...oh wait, Doh!

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Well hellz bellz, I won't know what to do with myself if I don't eventually end up with a carbon-fouled EGR valve at some point...and I've become so used to my engines developing a vacuum leak along the EGR tube somewhere, it's going to be hard to sleep at night knowing that is no longer something I can count on. :crying:

Gentlemen, this is truly a strange new world we find ourselves in!

What's next, cars that will hit the brakes for you and warn you when someone is in your blind spot?!?!
Just leaves you feeling empty, doesn't it? I'm not sure what I can tell you to comfort you. I suppose you could buy a diesel that hasn't been well maintained? You'll have plenty of soot to clean out of your EGR system.

You ain't seen nothing yet, wait until I tell you that some cars don't even have shifters! You just press a button and it goes into gear! Oh wait...that was 1962. Umm, how about cars that tell you when you need an oil change, or when your tire pressure is low! The future is now...

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just leaves you feeling empty, doesn't it? I'm not sure what I can tell you to comfort you. I suppose you could buy a diesel that hasn't been well maintained? You'll have plenty of soot to clean out of your EGR system.

You ain't seen nothing yet, wait until I tell you that some cars don't even have shifters! You just press a button and it goes into gear! Oh wait...that was 1962. Umm, how about cars that tell you when you need an oil change, or when your tire pressure is low! The future is now...
My EVIC menu for the tpms system actually lists each individual tire's PSI, which I found quite nifty upon discovery. That's so much easier than hunting around all 4 for which one is low when the light goes off.

The Oil temp and Trans temperature are also welcome advancements from the newer EVIC menu on this LX. I don't absolutely need to know those 2 temps very often, but when I do, I want to know EXACTLY what they are, and now I can finally ascertain them without doing any guessing and/or fancy mathing. :grin2:

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Yeah those are pretty handy. I love to watch that stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts