Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 146 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
can you turn the esp all the way off in the 6 speed cars, when i got mine the sales guy said that you can turn it all the way off. Been wanting to try it but never got a chance.
SRT 6 speed - YES
R/T 6 speed - NO

R/T is 50% off, not all the way off. Unless you do this mod. Then you can turn it off on the fly. Or if your getting the Predator, you can turn it off (Dyno mode) but you have to hook it up each time you want to turn it off. With this mod you can turn it off at will.

Could someone tell us if this mod really turns off the abs?Can't do 180s with abs on!
Yes, as someone else has said he did some nice skids, I havent found a place yet to test it (live on an Island). On the predator it tells you that ABS is off also.

187 Posts
this may be stupid question , but if you turn the esp off , fully with No esp , an the abs dont work , wouldnt a abs light come on , on the dash , i got no esp installed , an fully off an i never seen any other lights on the dash come on asides the esp sqigle an bais light.

·
Registered
467 Posts
SRT 6 speed - YES
R/T 6 speed - NO

R/T is 50% off, not all the way off. Unless you do this mod. Then you can turn it off on the fly. Or if your getting the Predator, you can turn it off (Dyno mode) but you have to hook it up each time you want to turn it off. With this mod you can turn it off at will.
I don't think that's quite true. From what I've been reading the "Key Trick" (6th post down). There are more threads, just the first I could find.

Turning the key to the start position while over 10MPH will turn it off completely. It doesn't mention anything about turning off the ABS. I haven't had a chance to fully test it yet as my car is garage bound for a few more weeks.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
I don't think that's quite true. From what I've been reading the "Key Trick" (6th post down). There are more threads, just the first I could find.

Turning the key to the start position while over 10MPH will turn it off completely. It doesn't mention anything about turning off the ABS. I haven't had a chance to fully test it yet as my car is garage bound for a few more weeks.
Thats true, thats why its a trick! lol No ESP can be done from a stop. NoEsp also lets me leave my cool push button start button in. The trick, I cannot.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Thats true, thats why its a trick! lol No ESP can be done from a stop. NoEsp also lets me leave my cool push button start button in. The trick, I cannot.
I was just stating the fact that it can be completely turned off without the mod. Never said it was cool.:cool: I'll wait and see if they come up with a Chally specific version. Maybe even gives a choice on whether or not to turn of the ABS.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
I was just stating the fact that it can be completely turned off without the mod. Never said it was cool.:cool: I'll wait and see if they come up with a Chally specific version. Maybe even gives a choice on whether or not to turn of the ABS.
That would be cool if they did come up with a chally specific version. I really dont see the issue with ABS, there is no way i would actually drive around with it on and put my car in the situation where i would need my brakes enough to hammer them and lock up wheels due to an emergency stop. I turn it on, do some burn outs, then turn it off.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Noesp

I put it on my R/T and it seems to work great. The ABS light does come on when the ESP is turned fully off. The only thing I don't like about it is I can't turn the ESP back on with the switch. I can only get it to come back on if I shut the car off and restart. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be that way or if I am missing something. I've tried just tapping the ESP button and tried holding it for 5 or more seconds but it won't come back on.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I just think there has gotta be a better easier way. If the SRT8 can do maybe the dealer service can hook their diagnostic tool up and have it programed like the SRT8 ? I dunno maybe just wishfull thinking.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
I put it on my R/T and it seems to work great. The ABS light does come on when the ESP is turned fully off. The only thing I don't like about it is I can't turn the ESP back on with the switch. I can only get it to come back on if I shut the car off and restart. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be that way or if I am missing something. I've tried just tapping the ESP button and tried holding it for 5 or more seconds but it won't come back on.
Thats the way it works, The same if you used the Predator. Its no big deal to me, I play around in a parking lot or straight away, then pull off and re-start. There is NO WAY I WOULD drive around with that system off! Its just there to play with, why in the world would you want to drive around with it off!!!!!????:SM127::brickwall:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
My 09 Classic is on order and won't be here for approx. 3 months so I'am trying to learn as much as possible before then.

Specifically how do you do the KEY trick for ESP off?

With the KEY trick how do you turn ESP back on?

Other than longer burnouts does ESP off help track times if you control spin with right foot?

Sorry for all the questions. I'am an old muscle car era guy trying to understand the new technology stuff. :)

Even old guys like to go fast. :woot:

·
Registered
467 Posts
My 09 Classic is on order and won't be here for approx. 3 months so I'am trying to learn as much as possible before then.

Specifically how do you do the KEY trick for ESP off?
Turn the key to the start position for 5 - 7 second while above 10 MPH.

With the KEY trick how do you turn ESP back on?
I haven't tried it yet, so dunno.

Other than longer burnouts does ESP off help track times if you control spin with right foot?
From everything I've heard(read), Yes

Sorry for all the questions. I'am an old muscle car era guy trying to understand the new technology stuff. :)
No sweat, Isn't that why we all come here???

Even old guys like to go fast. :woot:
Me too... I don't think there is an age limit on fun. :SM127:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
MPH I Just thought of another question. Some have mentioned a code being set, did yours set a code and if it did, did you notice any performance difference?

Thanks man I'll try not bother you for at least a few more hours. :rofl:

·
Premium Member
7,287 Posts
Once you perform the key trick, you must shut off the engine, then restart to get back to normal.

It is possible that a code is set, but it does not turn on the MIL.

Be careful though if you play with the six speed cars, especially if you never had a limited slip differential car. You can get sideways in a hurry (which isn't a problem as long as you're in control. :D )

·
Registered
467 Posts
...You can get sideways in a hurry (which isn't a problem as long as you're in control. :D )
That's the point :woot:

In my '66 Coronet(440 4spd), there was 8 miles of a 4 lane highway that I'd drive sideways to work (5am) as far as I possibly could all winter long!!!:woot::woot:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Be careful though if you play with the six speed cars, especially if you never had a limited slip differential car. You can get sideways in a hurry (which isn't a problem as long as you're in control. :D )
Moonshine drifting on winding gravel roads avoiding this guy :grim: for 35 years, OH man what a rush.

41 - 60 of 146 Posts