Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2018 R/T 6M
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'll start off by saying I do use AppleCar Play on my phone for certain trips, but usually the Uconnect GPS works perfectly fine. That being said, they recently updated some major highway exit numbers in Massachusetts and I figure it can't hurt to do at least one map update.

I go to the Uconnect website and it tells me there are none for my car.

Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Technology

2017 has a different error that says "Our records indicate you have the most recent map update for your vehicle. Please check back soon for a map update product." and 2019 has a map update. Oddly enough, the 2018 Charger does have a map update. When I called and asked, they said this is correct and suggested I call my local dealership. They said I could pop by and they could run a quick for me.

Has anyone else had this experience?

(Please hold off on the "Use your phone" comments. I'm not trying to start a debate on if one should pay for a map update. There are other threads for that :)).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
5,346 Posts
I'll start off by saying I do use AppleCar Play on my phone for certain trips, but usually the Uconnect GPS works perfectly fine. That being said, they recently updated some major highway exit numbers in Massachusetts and I figure it can't hurt to do at least one map update.

I go to the Uconnect website and it tells me there are none for my car.

View attachment 1052169

2017 has a different error that says "Our records indicate you have the most recent map update for your vehicle. Please check back soon for a map update product." and 2019 has a map update. Oddly enough, the 2018 Charger does have a map update. When I called and asked, they said this is correct and suggested I call my local dealership. They said I could pop by and they could run a quick for me.

Has anyone else had this experience?

(Please hold off on the "Use your phone" comments. I'm not trying to start a debate on if one should pay for a map update. There are other threads for that :)).

Thanks in advance.
I doubt the exit number changes will appear in any uConnect update any time soon.

Got at least one uConnect software update for my 2018 Hellcat. Got another when the uConnect radio was replaced at around 17 months. Afterwards I found the map was not up to date. Found examples of major freeway mods that were several years old still not in the map update.

My 2020 Scat Pack has no NAV.

However (yesterday) my 2020 Scat Pack's Performance Pages started acting up. <Sign> About 18 months after I bought the car.

Stopped at the dealer to ask if there was a reset procedure or a software update. No reset available. For an update I was directed to the uConnect web site. The SA told me for a 2020 there should be an update.

At the uConnect web site I was given a message my car's uConnect software was up to date...

I loathe the uConnect radio.

·
Registered
2018 R/T 6M
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying @Rockster. Sorry you're having issues. I ended up having my unit replaced as well because it'd get stuck in a mode and you couldn't change it until you turned the car on/off. Dealership tried to update the software and it wouldn't take the update. This was a couple years ago. Fortunately it was covered under warranty. Beyond that, it's been working pretty well.

Dealerships run updates all the time. I wonder if they suggested you go through the uConnect website to avoid any costs. There are plenty of TSBs for the head units out there.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Thanks for replying @Rockster. Sorry you're having issues. I ended up having my unit replaced as well because it'd get stuck in a mode and you couldn't change it until you turned the car on/off. Dealership tried to update the software and it wouldn't take the update. This was a couple years ago. Fortunately it was covered under warranty. Beyond that, it's been working pretty well.

Dealerships run updates all the time. I wonder if they suggested you go through the uConnect website to avoid any costs. There are plenty of TSBs for the head units out there.
My Scat Pack is under warranty (as was my Hellcat). Next week I will make an appointment to have the car in for this.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I'm teetering on the edge of keeping the car or getting rid of it for another brand of car. If so no more Dodges for me. How this uConnect radio issue is handled will help me make up my mind.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
1,028 Posts
As much as I'd like to have Apple CarPlay in my 2015 SRT 392 ... I've decided that I'm fortunate to have a stable infotainment system. The last Uconnect software update for my 2015 was 18.45.01 and everything works just like it was designed. And, I was just able to purchase a nav database update. It's amazing to me that Here (the company that supplies the nav database for Uconnect) doesn't have updates for every model year.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Actually to update this I have good news. Took the car out today, well make that Saturday, and the Performance Pages loaded and worked flawlessly.

I think the Scat Pack is sensitive to lack of use like the Hellcat. That I drove the car Friday topped up the battery so its voltage was not low enough to suffer that steep a drop in voltage. It is the too low a drop of battery voltage at engine on/engine crank that I think "glitches" some of the electronics in the car and this certainly includes the uConnect.

So I have vowed to drive the Scat Pack more often to keep the battery "topped" up. (Connecting a battery maintainer to the battery is not an option.)

·
Registered
2018 R/T 6M
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all. Just an update for anyone that comes across this post.

I stopped by the local dealership and they scanned my car. They did not see an GPS update. When I asked why there has never been an update in 3 years, they said that they don't do the map updates and suggested I follow back up with the company that provides them.

I called back HERE and spoke to another person who was more knowledgeable. What I learned is that there are about 5 models of Dodges that Dodge DID NOT enroll with HERE to provide map updates. For all the other models, Dodge has a contract with HERE to provide them. The 2017 and 2018 Dodge Challengers both were not enrolled for GPS updates. His only suggestion was to check back with the Dodge on this. He was pretty honest that I may be out of luck.

Not a perfect answer, but at least it helps me getter a better understanding of the issue. Will reach out to DodgeCars to get more details on this.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
31,973 Posts
"HERE"?

A Guy

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Hi all. Just an update for anyone that comes across this post.

I stopped by the local dealership and they scanned my car. They did not see an GPS update. When I asked why there has never been an update in 3 years, they said that they don't do the map updates and suggested I follow back up with the company that provides them.

I called back HERE and spoke to another person who was more knowledgeable. What I learned is that there are about 5 models of Dodges that Dodge DID NOT enroll with HERE to provide map updates. For all the other models, Dodge has a contract with HERE to provide them. The 2017 and 2018 Dodge Challengers both were not enrolled for GPS updates. His only suggestion was to check back with the Dodge on this. He was pretty honest that I may be out of luck.

Not a perfect answer, but at least it helps me getter a better understanding of the issue. Will reach out to DodgeCars to get more details on this.

Wow ... I'm glad my '15 SRT 392 was enrolled.

And, I guess I'm very fortunate that our '17 Durango R/T was enrolled. (It does not have Apple CarPlay / Android Auto.) That's crazy that Dodge enrolled the Durango and not the Challenger in 2017.

As long as your radio software is up to date ... Is is possible for HERE to simply sell you an update?

·
Registered
2018 R/T 6M
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow ... I'm glad my '15 SRT 392 was enrolled.

And, I guess I'm very fortunate that our '17 Durango R/T was enrolled. (It does not have Apple CarPlay / Android Auto.) That's crazy that Dodge enrolled the Durango and not the Challenger in 2017.

As long as your radio software is up to date ... Is is possible for HERE to simply sell you an update?
Good question. I had the same. The guy from HERE Technologies said that if I tried to load their map onto my system, it will brick the system :oops:.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Good question. I had the same. The guy from HERE Technologies said that if I tried to load their map onto my system, it will brick the system :oops:.
Dang.

That would be bad.

·
Registered
2018 R/T 6M
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi all,

Thought I'd provide an update on this so others in the same boat can see the solution. Hopefully this will save you some hours researching...

• As mentioned above, our radios in their current state cannot be updated.
  • TSB 08-003-22 was released January 8, 2022 and includes an enhancement to support map updates.
  • The software update to version 39.5 can ONLY be performed by a dealer. You cannot update the software yourself.
  • Upon performing the update, you should be able to purchase maps at Uconnect® System - For Chrysler, Dodge, FIAT®, Jeep® and Ram. My understanding is that you will order directly from them versus going to the HERE Technology website, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
  • Our cars are likely out of warranty due to age. If you are the original owner, Dodge Or Uconnect may potentially cover the cost of the software update. If you are not the original owner (e.g.me), Dodge or Uconnect will likely consider this an out of pocket expense.
I'm still working on trying to get this covered as the software update came out after the bumper-to-bumper warranty expired. I couldn't have had this update performed within the warranty period. My local dealership quoted me over $200 to perform the TSB update 🤮. The map update is around $150 which I'm happy to pay.

I would not have known about the TSB update without the help of Dodgecares. The dealerships didn't know this. HERE Technologies didn't know this. When I contacted Uconnect, I was able to point them towards the software update. Their level 1 techs didn't even know about it.

Font Parallel Screenshot Number Document

Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Electric blue

·
Premium Member
11,038 Posts
That $150 for a map update is insane. Many other brands offer it for $99 which is still ridiculous especially when you can use your phone or a $99 Garmin cones with lifetime maps.
I have navigation in my Nissan, my Jeep and my Dodge and think they all suck. I use my phone only even with all three fully functional. When inputting an address do not keep removing letters from the keyboard, I can well type what I want but some do just that. When giving a direction do say call completed, I wasn’t using the phone so after those things occurring I do not use any of my paid for navigation systems.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger Scat Pak, F8, Auto
29 Posts
I recently just did this with my 2018 Ram 2500. ”HERE” cost was $99 with free shipping. I was sent a software update which had to be done 1st. Then I installed the GPS map update.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
1,049 Posts
Glad i never paid for the Uconnect navigation to avoid issues like this.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts