Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my 2018 R/T+ from from 4 months of indoor/heated winter storage today and have no GPS signal and the compass is disoriented. It was working fine when I put the car away and I've not monkeyed with anything. All the radio and Sirius signals are all working fine. Is there a recalibrate function somewhere in the system or does anyone have an idea what might be wrong?

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
390 Posts
Have not had the issue on my Challenger, but a previous car you had to drive a bit for it to figure out what was going on.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
27,324 Posts
Try going to a going to an empty area like a parking lot and drive counter clockwise at least five times in a tight circle to recalibrate the GPS

A Guy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have not had the issue on my Challenger, but a previous car you had to drive a bit for it to figure out what was going on.
I’m guessing 40 miles would qualify as a bit?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try going to a going to an empty area like a parking lot and drive counter clockwise at least five times in a tight circle to recalibrate the GPS

A Guy
Thanks - I’ll give that a try and report back.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just picked up my 2018 R/T+ from from 4 months of indoor/heated winter storage today and have no GPS signal and the compass is disoriented. It was working fine when I put the car away and I've not monkeyed with anything. All the radio and Sirius signals are all working fine. Is there a recalibrate function somewhere in the system or does anyone have an idea what might be wrong?
Have almost the same problem. 2018 R/T plus Shaker. After winter GPS would show a location of about 15 miles away. Compass was wrong also. Took to dealer 3-15-21. They tried to fix with updates etc... nope. Ordered new radio which will be installed 3-23-21. They did not know why the GPS "went out". More or less "Oh well s*** happens". Lucky for me there is 3 months left on warranty. I'm a little bit concerned about this car... 6289 babied (I'm 68 yrs old) miles as of today. New water pump at @4900 and now a new radio at at @6300 miles. Door locks are starting to act funny (have to lift the door handle a few times to open when locked) also even with new batteries in the remotes. Wife who never really liked the looks of the car ("looks old") is nagging me to "dump it" and get a Porsche that I always wanted. Thinking about getting a extended warranty for it but it is kind of a "toy car" and just won't be worth the extra cost. Anyway I'll post after Tuesday and let you know if a new radio fixed it.

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
390 Posts
Yeah, I hate to say it but a random Google tends to point out this is a reoccurring problem with uConnect radios on all of Dodge's vehicles and the only fix that has been posted was a radio change.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have almost the same problem. 2018 R/T plus Shaker. After winter GPS would show a location of about 15 miles away. Compass was wrong also. Took to dealer 3-15-21. They tried to fix with updates etc... nope. Ordered new radio which will be installed 3-23-21. They did not know why the GPS "went out". More or less "Oh well s*** happens". Lucky for me there is 3 months left on warranty. I'm a little bit concerned about this car... 6289 babied (I'm 68 yrs old) miles as of today. New water pump at @4900 and now a new radio at at @6300 miles. Door locks are starting to act funny (have to lift the door handle a few times to open when locked) also even with new batteries in the remotes. Wife who never really liked the looks of the car ("looks old") is nagging me to "dump it" and get a Porsche that I always wanted. Thinking about getting a extended warranty for it but it is kind of a "toy car" and just won't be worth the extra cost. Anyway I'll post after Tuesday and let you know if a new radio fixed it.
Yikes! Mine is also relatively low miles (12,000) and driven spring-fall. I’m under warranty until early July. Bought this car as a retirement gift for my wife and myself. Should have never sold my ‘02 Miata.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,297 Posts
It can take a GPS device a while to connect with enough satellites to be able to determine its location. GPS satellite signals can be less than adequate in some locations. In major cities with the tall building is if not the worst close to it.

But in an area with a clear obstacle free path from your car to the sky the GPS device should snap to in just at the most a few minutes.

Have to mention the NAV system in my 2018 Hellcat had my location off by 40 to 90 miles. Compass feature was wonky, too.

Long story short after two radio software updates were applied (by a dealer tech) to no avail my car's radio was replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks - I’ll give that a try and report back.
No luck. Still no satellite signal to GPS and compass remains disoriented.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The dealer put in a new radio and that fixed the GPS... but the auto climate control did not work properly so I drove back to the dealer. They had to "update" the heating & A/C program. Works fine and now I get a Hellcat welcoming screen when starting up the car.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The cause can be that your GPS needs to download the entire position almanac from a satellite before it knows where the satellites are and can determine it's position.
The minimum download time is 12.5 minutes, can be much longer however.
And No, this does not require nor would go faster with an internet connection.
The data comes from one of the satellites itself.

Reactions: Pioneer4x4

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE: Took the car to the sewing dealer who tried a couple of updates with no success. They have ordered a replacement radio which will take 5-10 business days. I asked whether this was a common/known issue with the Uconnect® 4C NAV with 8.4–Inch Display and was told "Not particularly." Let's hope the replacement holds up for the duration of my ownership which should be at least another 10 years. So thinking ahead to the future, my thoughts are:
  • Cost to replace with an OEM unit and whether there are any after-market options?
  • Whether the GPS receiver itself could be replaced without having to change-out the entire radio?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SECOND UPDATE: Vehicle was at the dealer for a week, waiting arrival of a new radio. I called for a status update and was told the radio is on backorder and they really don't know when it will be in. Not what I wanted to hear. But then again, it's a Dodge, right? Oh, well. I picked up the car and will drive it without the navigation system. I guess I'm glad I wasn't planning a major road trip or vacation in the immediate future. Let's hope this will be a one-time fix, too.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,297 Posts
The radio is on back order not because of the car brand but because auto parts suppliers have been in lock down and in some cases purposely cut back production when forecasts by auto makers at the start of the lock down and expecting a fall off, a prolonged fall off, in demand cut back on parts orders.

But with demand up and factories running again parts suppliers are having to ramp up production to meet the unexpected demand. All new radios are probably going into cars on the assembly line.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
SECOND UPDATE: Vehicle was at the dealer for a week, waiting arrival of a new radio. I called for a status update and was told the radio is on backorder and they really don't know when it will be in. Not what I wanted to hear. But then again, it's a Dodge, right? Oh, well. I picked up the car and will drive it without the navigation system. I guess I'm glad I wasn't planning a major road trip or vacation in the immediate future. Let's hope this will be a one-time fix, too.
Hi 1FunCar,
Glad to hear you are working with your dealer for this concern. If we can be of any additional assistance as you are working with your dealer, feel free to send us a private message. We'd be more than happy to help.
Rob
Dodge Cares

1 - 16 of 16 Posts