Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I'm hoping someone can help me. My mechanic sent my car back to me with zero charge and said he couldn't figure it out. I have a 2010 SE with 3.5. I have changed the thermostat, water pump and flushed the system. Engine temp comes up and stays as normal. Temp gauge does NOT drop at idle. I have no heat unless I'm at highway speeds. Slow down, traffic or red lights mean no heat for me. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks, Bob

·
Premium Member
9,658 Posts
Have you flushed the heater core? Hook a garden hose to one side and gently run water through it and then switch to the opposite hose and back flush it. All it takes is a very small blob of debris to block the flow.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Cheak your coolant level my ram dose the same thing every few months I have a little leak somewhere at idle blows cold air soon as I start moving blows out hot air I put some coolent in I'm good for a few months it's been like that for about 4 years now

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Probably wouldn't have been in your engine in the first place, only thing that CAN cause that is a giant circulating air bubble, an if your cooling system was never cracked open there's almost no chance of one developing by itself. there's 3 door actuators, that are electrically controlled, as opposed to vacuum controlled like older cars. Next, I'd look to make sure the problem is ENGINE SPEED related, not car at speed related, that is an easy test. One thing that occurs to me, at highway speeds, you don't need the fan to flow air. check your fan. some fans have a resistor pack, if that fail, sometimes they will still work on high. Fan or actuators.

·
Premium Member
9,658 Posts
Hey all. I'm hoping someone can help me. My mechanic sent my car back to me with zero charge and said he couldn't figure it out. I have a 2010 SE with 3.5. I have changed the thermostat, water pump and flushed the system. Engine temp comes up and stays as normal. Temp gauge does NOT drop at idle. I have no heat unless I'm at highway speeds. Slow down, traffic or red lights mean no heat for me. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks, Bob
You or the mechanic changed the thermostat? Was the little bleeder hole with the jiggler at the top?

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Probably wouldn't have been in your engine in the first place, only thing that CAN cause that is a giant circulating air bubble, an if your cooling system was never cracked open there's almost no chance of one developing by itself. there's 3 door actuators, that are electrically controlled, as opposed to vacuum controlled like older cars. Next, I'd look to make sure the problem is ENGINE SPEED related, not car at speed related, that is an easy test. One thing that occurs to me, at highway speeds, you don't need the fan to flow air. check your fan. some fans have a resistor pack, if that fail, sometimes they will still work on high. Fan or actuators.
OP - Yes check if you have any air flow when the car is not moving. Your post did not state if there was cold air flow or no air flow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. Mechanic changed the stat and water pump as well as all other work done. He said he pulled the hose and saw little flow till the engine was revved. Not sure where he pulled hose from. He was really stumped, and he is a good mechanic. Didn't charge me for the parts or labor 'cause as he said "I didn't fix anything"
And it blows cold air at idle or slow speeds. Cooling system had never been touched before, not sure how air would get in.
Stupid question, Does this model have an oil cooler? In my online searches, I saw that as a possible cause.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
If the fan is on and there's no hot air coming out of the vents there's no hot water in the heater core, it's just that simple. There's a SIMPLE GADGET you can buy that will pull a vacuum on your cooling system and remove any trapped air. Your mechanic should have one. Start there.

If that doesn't fix it there a very good chance you have a partially blocked heater core, hose, whatever.

Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts