Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Challenger R/T and when I was driving it home tonight, I rolled the temp knob to hot as it would go and it only blows cold air. I've also noticed that when I first start up the car and turn the knob to auto to start the heat or AC, nothing happens for 20 seconds. The defrost light in the position knob on the right just flashes. Is this a malfunctioning control assembly or does it sound like the actuator? What's frustrating is I bought this car new and it only has 23k miles on it. The fuel pump died on it two months ago and that was a $600 fix with the towing bill because dodge wouldn't warranty it so I know I'll be out of pocket to fix this too. :?

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
the flashing light is a fault condition indication.

You might look at having a dealer connect their system and see what codes come up - they can read the Body Control Module and see what fault codes come up.

It could be an actuator, or potentially an issue with the HVAC control module.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Most likely the actuators are going. Just did all 3 on my 2010 and cost $150 for parts and did it all myself in an hour.
Also if that doesn't work for some reason check that your coolant system is bled of air. Could be a air pocket keeping coolant from the heater core. (Although unlikely if you haven't played with the system)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking the flashing lights were some kind of fault indicator as well. As far as the actuators, is that only a Chrysler part, or can they be purchased aftermarket? Where is the one for the heater located? Is there a way to bench test them right verify that they are the culprit? After doing some searching on the forums, this seems to be a common problem with the actuators failing with low millage cars. I wonder if a design revision was made to the replacement parts to make them more robust?

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
There are the actuator motors and then there are the blend doors.

There's vent blend actuators and temperature blend actuators. On the '11 and up these also have the automatic climate controls. The actuators move their range on each ignition power up as a self-test.

The parts are plastic for the blend / temp doors and sometimes the end where the actuator arm attaches can break from what I've read.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the information. Some of the videos I've seen for the actuator issues focus on the defective actuator making a pronounced clicking sound. It leads me to believe either the plastic pieces connecting it to the door(s) are broken or something is up with the actual HVAC controls since I've never once heard this sound in my car.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pulled fuse #14 in the fuse box by the battery and left it out for about 90 seconds. I started the car today, and let it warm up and then I turned the heater on and it worked. I slowly cycled the temperature control knob from hot to cold, cold to hot and hot to cold again. All seems to be working good now. I hope this clears the issue up. You can't beat the cost of the repair, haha.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts