Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies to ResumeSpeed for copying his post from the General forum but this is interesting...

Does this mean you can now order white (non-IE) SRT8s?
Is Black Clear Coat different from Brilliant Black.
Would ordering a new car in primer work - seems like the whole interior would be only primer and real expensive to paint without stripping the car.

My car is built so it doesn't effect me, but it sure makes the 2011 model year unique...

Ray

<From Resume Speed...>

*** Chrysler has just issued an updated exterior paint availability list. Below is the info on the 2011 Challenger: ***

Date
- effective immediately- all Chrysler dealers-

Revised exterior color availabilty (through end of model year):

2011MY Dodge Challenger (LCDH22, LCDP22, LCDX22)

Bright White
Black Clear Coat
Primer*

*dealers will be credited a $1,430 per vehicle paint reimbursement allowance from invoice for all LC models. Paint facilities in local dealer area require pre-approval and must meet Chrysler standards (P-R2340-2321-44).

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
That surprises me....never heard of a manufacturer shipping cars in primer only.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
ive never heard of a car company that takes 9 weeks to ship a car and lets it sit in a parking lot in Canada

so the primer thing, while shocking doesnt suprise me

do they put the dual stripes on the primer and you paint around the stripes?

do you get to pick what color band you want on the seats?

will they still warranty it for rust through even though someone else paints it?

how come a small dealership can get paint but one of the largest car companies cant figure out how/where to get paint? what secret does your local dealership know that Dodge doesnt?

i dont know how Chrysler survives....

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two more questions just poppped into my mind.

1) How does this effect price of existing 2011s - seems like they have to be more valuable.
2) Does April Fools day extend to Canada?

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
The paint situation is just the tip of the iceburg, we are going to see some of the largest companies in the world being effected, we are in the electronics industry and some of our customers are not able to get parts and their inventorys are getting low, the spike in parts cost has skyrocketed to 10x normal cost for some items.
Tout

·
Super Moderator
15,972 Posts
The "shipped in primer" sounds like April Fool's day joke to me.

The cars are painted before trim (glass, rocker trim, facia trim surrounds (black plastic), grilles, interior, driveline, weatherstripping etc) is installed - there's no way that could be done in the field properly and at lower cost than on the assembly line.

I could just see overspray on the engine and weather stripping trying to paint jambs and under the hood and trunk.

Not likely that this is true. I can see the Bright White and a solid Black (non pearl), but that's about it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The "shipped in primer" sounds like April Fool's day joke to me.

The cars are painted before trim (glass, rocker trim, facia trim surrounds (black plastic), grilles, interior, driveline, weatherstripping etc) is installed - there's no way that could be done in the field properly and at lower cost than on the assembly line.

I could just see overspray on the engine and weather stripping trying to paint jambs and under the hood and trunk.

Not likely that this is true. I can see the Bright White and a solid Black (non pearl), but that's about it.
I agree Hal, the primer is pretty absurb. :)

To be honest though, do we need two threads of the exact same topic?

Wil

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I agree with Hal's assertion as well, for all the reasons stated.
No way you can get a quality job with all the trim and stuff still on.
It would cost a fortune to paint it properly. Plus, there's the quality
issue.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I think Primer Grey or Primer Red could be the new "it" color for Challengers. It's happening with Harley. First the matte Black Denim became huge and now so e guys are going for primer as their finish of choice. Looks tough as nails in red and is catching on in the custom world. All those poor GWE guys are going to be stuck with a color that has been trumped in cool factor before thier cars are even built! Sore subject, I know, and im mostly kidding. GWE is going to be a great color for those lucky devils. Primer could have legs though...if it's not April fools...

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
gotta be a April Fools joke

i cant believe they would actually consider shipping a new car in primer....

i fell for it this morning,but after thinking about it i cant believe it

·
Registered
416 Posts
I declare shenanigans on this. Can't be true. Wouldn't make sense. Now IF those colors were available from the factory, then I could see them doing this due to other color shortages, but not in the manner described herein. :liar:

·
Banned
863 Posts
How cool would it be if dodge offered emergency colors for the next few months? If they could get these colors here in the US - why not?
Ink black, Candy Red, Gunmetal gray, #2 billiard ball Blue, Forrest Green, a new Yellow, etc... these cars would be super rare, look great and fetch lots o money in the future.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
how about working with the 2 colors they have

bright white
off white(add alittle black)
medium grey (mix white and black)
dark grey(mix alittle white to the black)
black

there i just came up with 5 colors dodge could make your car!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts