Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I am in Huntsville, Al. I cannot find anyone that Is qualified or willing to do any aftermarket work so far. Synopsis;

1. Muffler shop near my house does not even have a welder, much less anyone who could use it. Really?

2. The Parts Department Manager at my local dealer told me to not let the Service Department install my hood pin kit. He said they have no clue. The dealership doesn't have a body shop. C'mon!

3. Went to the body shop by my house today. They will not install my hood pin kit either due to "liability concerns". Huh?

4. Went to another body shop across the street. Just wanted to ask if they would install my hood pin kit. Just to ask that one question, I had to schedule an appt for next Wednesday. Are you kiddin?

This is getting frustrating!!!!! :(

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
671 Posts
I have been in the auto repair business for a long time, even in restoration for a while. If I were in your shoes, I would try to locate a competent shop, even if I had to travel to another city. If I did this, I would try to schedule for the same day if possible. On the other hand, you can do the hood pins yourself. The hardest part is drilling the first hole, after that, it gets better. Just take your time and realize that you are making your Challenger, your Challenger, not just one the factory cranked out. As for the exhaust, any muffler shop that doesn't have a welder isn't really a muffler shop. It is your dream Challenger, so don't be in a hurry after you waited so long for the one that you specifically ordered. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been in the auto repair business for a long time, even in restoration for a while. If I were in your shoes, I would try to locate a competent shop, even if I had to travel to another city. If I did this, I would try to schedule for the same day if possible. On the other hand, you can do the hood pins yourself. The hardest part is drilling the first hole, after that, it gets better. Just take your time and realize that you are making your Challenger, your Challenger, not just one the factory cranked out. As for the exhaust, any muffler shop that doesn't have a welder isn't really a muffler shop. It is your dream Challenger, so don't be in a hurry after you waited so long for the one that you specifically ordered. Good luck.
Thanks Charles. Great advice. I will continue to look for a decent shop. Forgot to mention, I have e-mailed the North Al. Mopar Club twice for advice. They don't answer. I just don't get it! Just watched step by step instructions on hood pin installation. I can do this. Will talk to the last body shop next week but I think my mind is made up.
And the muffler shop. It is one of the biggest chains in the US, not just some local back yard shop! Don't they have standards?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Sounds like that muffler shop doesn't have standards. But that is not surprising, many businesses don't meet standards. It is like dealership service departments, they are not all created equal, some are excellent, others I wouldn't even want to work on a twenty year old Neon. And remember, you will take the pains to get it right more so than someone else who is just working on another car (as that person would probably see it).

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks Charles. Great advice. I will continue to look for a decent shop. Forgot to mention, I have e-mailed the North Al. Mopar Club twice for advice. They don't answer. I just don't get it! Just watched step by step instructions on hood pin installation. I can do this. Will talk to the last body shop next week but I think my mind is made up.
And the muffler shop. It is one of the biggest chains in the US, not just some local back yard shop! Don't they have standards?
In my experience, those smaller and "back yard" muffler shops are almost always much better than the large national chains.

Think of it this way; some guy who does exhaust work, for a living, out of his home or a small shop that he pays for, is going to car A LOT more about the quality of his work and satisfying his customers so that they in turn send more customers his way. Also the small shop guy has made that type of work his way of feeding his family so he's more likely going to be very good at it. Whereas the large chain type place has a revolving door of guys who just picked up a welding gun straight out of HS and is more concerned about the quantity of work done over the quality. Also the big chains have endless advertising and brand recognition driving a large number of new customers their way so they aren't to worried about pissing them off.

Don't be too quick to knock the mom and pop places...

·
Registered
671 Posts
I agree about mom and pop businesses. Without a franchise, their reputation for quality work is the best and sometimes only advertisement. I have worked in mom and pop shops and in dealerships both, and have seen both poor quality work and excellent work out of both. Ultimately, a business will get the reputation it deserves based on the work it does, whether good or bad.

·
Registered
2020 R/T Scat Pack 1320 edition
114 Posts
If a muffler shop does not have a welder how can they be a muffler shop? I installed my hood pin kit using this video.

·
Registered
21 Challenger Scatpack Widebody F8 Green
13 Posts
Hey man, I got my custom challenger couple of weeks ago. Since then, it's just been a messed up process. It arrived with an imperfection, things followed, now it's sitting at the dealer with a transmission issue, they say it could take couple of weeks or couple of months. So, if I have to be brutally honest, just get rid of it and get anything that is not mopar. I called them, person over the phone had no idea what a challenger is or how many cylinders it had. It's just all a giant shitshow.

So anything not mopar should be more than plenty at that point. I regret every single second of this charade!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,699 Posts
Do a google search for Best custom exhaust Huntsville, AL for instance

Same for Best body shop

Yelp people can be petty, but generally if 5 stars they are good, and if every review negative, they are bad ;)

A Guy

Reactions: SKT PK 9 Man

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
3,170 Posts
It is a must for a good muffler shop to be able to weld. That said, I would not allow anyone to weld on my exhaust.

If your dealership does not do body work, then they must use a Mopar certified body shop to do the work for them. Ask them, and if they're clueless, look for other dealerships close to you.

If the video you saw for installing the hood pins was not from Steve White, then look for it on the web site here. You will not go wrong following Luke's instructions.

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In my experience, those smaller and "back yard" muffler shops are almost always much better than the large national chains.

Think of it this way; some guy who does exhaust work, for a living, out of his home or a small shop that he pays for, is going to car A LOT more about the quality of his work and satisfying his customers so that they in turn send more customers his way. Also the small shop guy has made that type of work his way of feeding his family so he's more likely going to be very good at it. Whereas the large chain type place has a revolving door of guys who just picked up a welding gun straight out of HS and is more concerned about the quantity of work done over the quality. Also the big chains have endless advertising and brand recognition driving a large number of new customers their way so they aren't to worried about pissing them off.

Don't be too quick to knock the mom and pop places...
Oh, no. Don't misunderstand me. I was not knocking independent businesses. I would rather go there than the chains for the exact reason's you outline. My point was that you would expect more professionalism from a national brand. But you can't, again for the reason's you stated. We are in total agreement.

Do a google search for Best custom exhaust Huntsville, AL for instance

Same for Best body shop

Yelp people can be petty, but generally if 5 stars they are good, and if every review negative, they are bad ;)

A Guy
Thanks but these searches can sometimes lead one astray. Hudson's is the shop that won't touch it for "liability issues" and Rod's is the one who made me set an appt next week just to ask one question. 20'ish girl working the counter had an attitude and acted like I was bothering her just by being there.
I have heard of Worth and will go talk to them. (y)

Sounds like you won't need what this thread is about.....Quality Aftermarket Services.
Not until the mufflers. I can't weld! o_O

It is a must for a good muffler shop to be able to weld. That said, I would not allow anyone to weld on my exhaust.

If your dealership does not do body work, then they must use a Mopar certified body shop to do the work for them. Ask them, and if they're clueless, look for other dealerships close to you.

If the video you saw for installing the hood pins was not from Steve White, then look for it on the web site here. You will not go wrong following Luke's instructions.
The body shop the dealer uses is the one that won't do the hood pins for "liability reasons". The manager actually said they were afraid if my hood fly's up and hurts/kills me I would sue them. Isn't this a concern with all of their repairs? Don't they have insurance? Idiocy!
I will watch the video and do the pin's myself. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,365 Posts
Ok, so I am in Huntsville, Al. I cannot find anyone that Is qualified or willing to do any aftermarket work so far. Synopsis;

1. Muffler shop near my house does not even have a welder, much less anyone who could use it. Really?

2. The Parts Department Manager at my local dealer told me to not let the Service Department install my hood pin kit. He said they have no clue. The dealership doesn't have a body shop. C'mon!

3. Went to the body shop by my house today. They will not install my hood pin kit either due to "liability concerns". Huh?

4. Went to another body shop across the street. Just wanted to ask if they would install my hood pin kit. Just to ask that one question, I had to schedule an appt for next Wednesday. Are you kiddin?

This is getting frustrating!!!!! :(
It’s a sign to leave well enough alone. Go to car shows and meet people and ask around, just don’t be too trusting. Good luck.

Oh, no. Don't misunderstand me. I was not knocking independent businesses. I would rather go there than the chains for the exact reason's you outline. My point was that you would expect more professionalism from a national brand. But you can't, again for the reason's you stated. We are in total agreement.

Thanks but these searches can sometimes lead one astray. Hudson's is the shop that won't touch it for "liability issues" and Rod's is the one who made me set an appt next week just to ask one question. 20'ish girl working the counter had an attitude and acted like I was bothering her just by being there.
I have heard of Worth and will go talk to them. (y)

Not until the mufflers. I can't weld! o_O

The body shop the dealer uses is the one that won't do the hood pins for "liability reasons". The manager actually said they were afraid if my hood fly's up and hurts/kills me I would sue them. Isn't this a concern with all of their repairs? Don't they have insurance? Idiocy!
I will watch the video and do the pin's myself. Thanks.
You have a primary and secondary latch already, this is an aesthetic improvement only.
me, I’d look him directly in the face and ask are you really this stupid? I’ve done worse, the service director looked at the service writer and asked if he was for real.
I then went to see the general manager after.

Wait until Dodge Cares reads the post and tried to help. My dealer told me to skip the air bag recall as they can’t promise to return the car like I keep it, as in brand new condition. I told the service writer if there is a single mark on it he better run and hide. How f-ing stupid is that to tell a customer. My Wrangler also needs the passenger bag replaced.

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You have a primary and secondary latch already, this is an aesthetic improvement only.
me, I’d look him directly in the face and ask are you really this stupid? I’ve done worse, the service director looked at the service writer and asked if he was for real.
I then went to see the general manager after.
Yes, I told him that it was aesthetic only and his come back was they couldn't be responsible for future rust problems. I told him the hood was aluminium. He gave me the deer in the headlight look. I just left. You can't fix stupid.

Reactions: Moparrebel

·
Premium Member
10,365 Posts
Yes, I told him that it was aesthetic only and his come back was they couldn't be responsible for future rust problems. I told him the hood was aluminium. He gave me the deer in the headlight look. I just left. You can't fix stupid.
Please tell me you were tempted to back hand him one good shot.

·
Registered
388 Posts
SKT, i was thinking of adding the pins too, but now that the entire hood is wrapped in clear bra you think there are any issues with adhering the top plates to the clear bra? im guessing it will be fine as they are not under any sort of load?

is there clear bra on your hood?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Wow! I live in a town of about 13,000. All the stuff you want, I could get done within walking distance of my house, from people I know and trust. I guess I'm lucky?

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SKT, i was thinking of adding the pins too, but now that the entire hood is wrapped in clear bra you think there are any issues with adhering the top plates to the clear bra? im guessing it will be fine as they are not under any sort of load?

is there clear bra on your hood?
No, no coating on my hood. Don't think it would be an issue though. I would give the detail shop a call just to be sure but the rubber grommets should protect the edges.

Wow! I live in a town of about 13,000. All the stuff you want, I could get done within walking distance of my house, from people I know and trust. I guess I'm lucky?
That's what caused me to generate this thread. 400K people in this town and the lack of performance/customization/Mopar shops is unbelievable. But there are some I haven't visited yet. Maybe I just picked all the bad ones first.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts