Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So many posts on exhaust but cant find anyone in my same situation. They usually go on a tangent and lose focus.

12 RT 5.7L M6

So i have no rear resonators, the car came that way. Sounds great, i love it. DRONE does not bother me!! But i want it to be louder from idle and more low tones. Not obnoxious, but i like loud.

My idea was to basically straight pipe from the cats and convert to H pipe. Utah laws looks like that wont fly and i cant add cutouts before cats or mufflers like my other plan was.

So. Keeping the cats and mufflers, what are my options? Going HF mufflers? If so what should i be looking at for the best tone from the stock system, no resonators?

Thanks guys

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
What Utah law says you can't? I thought as long as the cats are there anything cat back should be ok except if the decibels were over the top.
Technically Magnaflow told me my Competition Series is just over the number but I have new even raised anyone's eye when driving around.
Maybe a different system from your current one would yield happy results.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
EXHAUST SYSTEM

1. Check the manifold, exhaust or header pipe, mufflers, tail pipes and the supporting hardware.

ADVISE when:
1) Catalytic converter is missing.

b. REJECT when:
1) Muffler is missing.
2) Exhaust system has leaks of any kind on any part of the
system. (Excluding drain holes installed by the
manufacturer.)
3) Any part of the system is not securely fastened or secured
in a manner that is likely to fail, i.e., rope securing tail pipe.
4) Tail pipes do not extend beyond the outer periphery of the
passenger compartment or discharges at any point forward
of the passenger compartment or are severely bent or
broken.
5) Exhaust system passes through any occupant compartment.
6) Muffler cutout or similar device is installed.
7) Exhaust system is so constructed or located that an
individual may be burned upon entering or leaving the
vehicle.
8) No part of the exhaust system shall be so located as would
be likely to result in burning, charring, or damaging the
electrical wiring, the fuel supply, or any combustible part of
the motor vehicle.

NOTE: After Market Muffler Devices: (UCA 41-6a-1626(b)) Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler or other effective noise suppression system in good working order and in constant operation. A person may not use a muffler cut-out, bypass, or similar device. Excessive or unusual noise is prohibited

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is what i keep seeing anywhere related to utah and exhaust systems. I believe this is the safety requirements, i cant find the emissions requirements. Only that after next year ill have to pass it yearly.

Im trying to stay as cheap as possible, i dont care too much about performance details at this point just the sound for now. So a new system might be what i ultimately need but don't want to pay a bunch just yet

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Hey Pat tell you what . . . Get the Corsa Extreme stainless exhaust for the 6 speed which you have, the mid mufflers are so small that I drink beer out of cans that are larger than they are. You have small resonators that will kill drone but man at throttle they are all you expect and then some. The best of both worlds. At cruise you listen your favored music, great deep sound from the pipes, at idle they are some of the best of "old muscle" sound and at WOT well let's just say WOW! Always remember you get what you pay for. "IF" you want the best at this time on the market, Corsa Extreme. Been there, done that! Take care, my 2 cents.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the input! Im a firm believer in that you pay to play but 1500 for exhaust just isnt in the books right now, hence looking for a cheap alternative to get me by until i can do it the right way

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
O.K. pat I'm not paying that much either! You have to know how to buy from these parts companies. Every hear of making a offer? They will sell you that exhaust at much cheaper price with free shipping. One example I will throw out to you and it's by NO MEANS the only one that will sell you what you want at a cheaper price. Just so happens it's the one I deal with. Auto Anything. Do a live chat tell 'em what exhaust you want, you a first responder? Ask for that discount. You Amish? Ask for that discount! You a Veteran? What I'm getting at is this. They want to sell you a high performance exhaust system, it doesn't matter if they sell it to you at 1450.00 or 950.00, they have made a sell. That's all that matters to them, they work on commission. Don't expect for them to just give it to you but learn to make offers you never know, they may just say YES! Been there, done that. Either learn or just keep paying full price. Your choice. Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
OR replace them with Flowmaster Super 44's.

You can get great sound without replacing the whole exhaust system.

·
Registered
2011 Dodge Challenger
11 Posts
Old school Glass packs and have them heat paint the cheap pipes before they are installed . . cost 500 . heads will turn . 2 years in humid florida weather and the system looks like the day it was installed , stealth black .my guy has me bring it in every year incase it needs any touch ups , free of charge . i had to get a tuner for the drone , you couldnt talk it was so loud . just make sure you find someone that still uses the originals , they are very slim . my wife and daughter are sick of hearing me say " hear the thunder ? " every time i remote start from in the house lol .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Old school Glass packs and have them heat paint the cheap pipes before they are installed . . cost 500 . heads will turn . 2 years in humid florida weather and the system looks like the day it was installed , stealth black .my guy has me bring it in every year incase it needs any touch ups , free of charge . i had to get a tuner for the drone , you couldnt talk it was so loud . just make sure you find someone that still uses the originals , they are very slim . my wife and daughter are sick of hearing me say " hear the thunder ? " every time i remote start from in the house lol .

What's the brand of glass pack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
759 Posts
x2 on the glasspacks. You want loud as possible without straight pipe? 8 inch cherry bombs in place of your mufflers and then rest in straight pipe. Will be pretty much the natural sound of your motor...very throaty.

·
Registered
2011 Dodge Challenger
11 Posts
What's the brand of glass pack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i didnt ask , he promised a great sound and i got it , but im due for a check up ill try and stop in there thursday or friday and find out . he just said they are as basic as they get , why change something that works . baffles for back pressure and straight thru for excess . to me in the car i think at low rpms it sounds deep like a flowmaster and when your on it hard it sounds more like a borla but who knows i dont let anyone else drive it to see from the outside . bottom line is weather i go to the gas station , home depot , supermarket , or local car show , 1 or more peeps will be tossing compliments . my 9 yr old daughter loves the compliments more than her dad LOL . i will get back to you .

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,899 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Alright guys I've got a bit of an update. I finally got under the car for a peek and im not as stock as i thought.

Res delete obviously, 2.5 in pipe still. But i have what I've deduced to be spin tech pro street 6000s. Cute little boxes under there. And i have an H pipe, not an X which i had thought i had seen before.

Which is cool, but i compared side by side with my buddy who has the flowmaster outlaw cat back system. He is louder, hands down but not by much. And at all rpms, im still deeper and more rumble than he is.

So looking into these spin tech mufflers, i guess they're on par with flowmaster 44s. I had been converted to a cat back system but am very disappointed with the sound of my buddies outlaw system. Im afraid of going full catback and not having much of a step up when i might be able to go super 10s and get the little bit louder im looking for.

Anyone know how spin tech compares to super 10s?

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts