Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my 2015 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus to work one day and the stereo worked fine as it should. Then coming home from work, there's absolutely no sound at all..? I played with the equalizers, etc. The head unit turns on and GPS works great, the head unit says its playing XM Radio and volumes up... Then I noticed none of my steering wheel controls work at all.!! Cruise control, volumes etc. Don't work And my heated/ vented seats don't work, mirror dim, heated steering wheel either! Odd thing is, for some reason it recognizes my voice? I've tried Everything i could without taking apart the stereo as im not a dummy when it comes to stereos. I check my fuse box in trunk and sure enough found that the AMP FUSE was blown! ? I buy a new pack of fuses, go to replace it and, POP! Every time I try to install a new fuse it pops? Even when i disconnect the battery then install the fuse it shorts as soon as I connect my battery! Oh, and I noticed my rear center subwoofers magnet was so hot it burned my arm like a frickin stove would! So I unplugged it before anything else gets worse!
PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME OUT WITH THIS! I just bought this car not even 1 year ago and the dealership wants to charge me around $2,000 for a whole new stereo when I did nothing to it for it to stop working?!!
Anybody else have this issue?

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,976 Posts
There is a short to ground in the amp’s circuit obviously. If it were me, I would start by isolating the wiring harness’s power wire that goes to the amp and back trace it to look for anything frayed or sliced.

If anything has been installed or otherwise added to the car recently, check the spaces around it for accidental interference with other wires.

This obviously not normal, so start diagnosing with anything non-stock, in other words.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,211 Posts
Nuke, nailed it.
there is certainly a short someplace. Finding that however may not end your issues, it could have damaged/fried a few things. Hopefully not and the fuse sacrificed itself for the cause, but you never know.
time to start chasing wires.

·
Premium Member
7,976 Posts
The possibility exists that the factory amp itself is the problem, having an internal short causing the fuse to blow, but I do not think that is very likely. If you can rule it out as the culprit, that would be ideal, but that may be difficult without another one just like it to swap in to test.

If you have an external 12v power source, you might could test the amp by wiring that 12v power source up to the amp (once it’s been removed from the vehicle), grounding it, and then energizing the remote turn-on lead.

Or there is probably a way to test it with a continuity tester, but that is only a guess on my part.

The fact that the fuse blows immediately upon insertion is significant IMO. It would be one thing if it only blew when you turned up the volume really loud (bad internal problem inside amp), but this is doing it without even turning the radio on, so that tells me the problem is likely with the wiring somewhere.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have everything stock nothing aftermarket connected at all and the stock stereo doesn't have an amplifier or subwoofer in trunk. Just the basic uconnect 8.4 alpine system. And ive checked all the fuses and wires with a multi meter and everythings got power. Also after checking everything, I hooked up my rear center woofer that's in the panel above the rear seats and it started to get hot again and sparked! So I disconnected the harnesses from that speaker so I didn't totally fry my head unit. Im at a total loss...

·
Premium Member
7,976 Posts
I’m confused on something here. If you do not have a factory amp, why is there a fuse in the rear PDC for it?

If I’m not mistaken, the presence of the subwoofer in the rear deck means you have an amp. It is likely located behind the knee bolster under the steering column.

remove that plastic trim piece directly below the column and take a picture of what’s mounted to the metal frames behind there. There should be a couple modules and the factory amp present back there.

If you can post up a pic of what you see in there, we can tell for sure if there is an amp present.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
21,557 Posts
If it's a 6 speaker Alpine unit, there is no factory subwoofer?

A Guy

·
Registered
15,334 Posts
If it's a 6 speaker Alpine unit, there is no factory subwoofer?

A Guy
No, only Sound Group II or now called Alpine Audio Group has the 8-inch sub on the rear deck.

Still 276 watts and should have a separate amp.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will check on that now but it's dark and raining so I'll do my best to get that picture posted. If not up tonight then definitely will have it posted in the morning along with other pics of stereo. Thanx guys!

·
Premium Member
7,976 Posts
That whole sub magnet getting hot thing is very strange too. What if you unhook the sub’s speaker wires, will the fuse still blow immediately upon ACC power on?

If not, does that allow the rest of the to play?

If so, maybe there is a short to ground at/on the rear deck sub that’s causing all this...

Just spitballing...

·
Premium Member
1,694 Posts
I was driving my 2015 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus to work one day and the stereo worked fine as it should. Then coming home from work, there's absolutely no sound at all..? I played with the equalizers, etc. The head unit turns on and GPS works great, the head unit says its playing XM Radio and volumes up... Then I noticed none of my steering wheel controls work at all.!! Cruise control, volumes etc. Don't work And my heated/ vented seats don't work, mirror dim, heated steering wheel either! Odd thing is, for some reason it recognizes my voice? I've tried Everything i could without taking apart the stereo as im not a dummy when it comes to stereos. I check my fuse box in trunk and sure enough found that the AMP FUSE was blown! ? I buy a new pack of fuses, go to replace it and, POP! Every time I try to install a new fuse it pops? Even when i disconnect the battery then install the fuse it shorts as soon as I connect my battery! Oh, and I noticed my rear center subwoofers magnet was so hot it burned my arm like a frickin stove would! So I unplugged it before anything else gets worse!
PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME OUT WITH THIS! I just bought this car not even 1 year ago and the dealership wants to charge me around $2,000 for a whole new stereo when I did nothing to it for it to stop working?!!
Anybody else have this issue?
Hi GrazianoSXT,
Sorry to hear you are experiencing this concern, we certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you end up addressing this with your local Dodge dealer again, please let us know via PM. We'd be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.
Rob
DodgeCares

1 - 11 of 11 Posts