Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2018 SRT
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've owned a pair of Chargers and three Challengers. The earlier ones had jacks and spares. Current ones not. If the speare tire well on my Challenger didn't have speakers in it, I'd buy a spare/jack. Anyway, how often has anyone been stuck somewhere with a tire issue/blowout that could not have been solved with the "aerosol" stuff? We've never had a flat on any of our cars, but we do take a few longer trips. Can't imagine what a pain in the a$$/pocketbook it would be to lose a tire halfway between San Diego and Phoenix.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,888 Posts
I carry a full size spare for just that reason. Don’t care for the goop. What happens if you have a blowout on the sidewall?

·
Registered
Phantom Black SXT+ 100th Anniversay
309 Posts
If the speare tire well on my Challenger didn't have speakers in it, I'd buy a spare/jack.
What do you mean your spare tire well has speakers in it? Not unless some models with upgraded stereo systems utilized that space I guess. ?

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,734 Posts
What do you mean your spare tire well has speakers in it? Not unless some models with upgraded stereo systems utilized that space I guess. ?
The Harmon Kardon option has 2 subwoofers mounted in the spare tire well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mine at least has a small air compressor/pump. My previous three sporty cars ( BMW335 and 2 Corvettes) all had run flats, no spare tire and no air compressor.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
My 2018 didn't come with a spare either. Personally, based on how many times I've had to deal with a flat tire in my 25+ years of driving (once, maybe?), I'm not concerned about the lack of a spare. If I run into an issue where there stock compressor/goo can't fix things enough to get to the next service station, then I'll call a tow truck - it's not the end of the world. Based on my experience, it's so unlikely to happen, that I feel I'm better off without the extra weight that a spare tire and associated tools add to the car. With as heavy as these cars are - especially with the 3.6L engine in my GT, the less weight, the better.

Besides, that is where I installed my amp and DSP processor. :)

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,741 Posts
We've owned a pair of Chargers and three Challengers. The earlier ones had jacks and spares. Current ones not. If the speare tire well on my Challenger didn't have speakers in it, I'd buy a spare/jack. Anyway, how often has anyone been stuck somewhere with a tire issue/blowout that could not have been solved with the "aerosol" stuff? We've never had a flat on any of our cars, but we do take a few longer trips. Can't imagine what a pain in the a$$/pocketbook it would be to lose a tire halfway between San Diego and Phoenix.
Only one time in hundreds of thousands of miles of driving have I blown out a sidewall. On a mountain road -- in my GTO -- south of where I live one night I hit a softball sized rock that had fallen onto the road and blew out the side wall of the right front tire. Long story short I used the space saver to get me and the car home and the next day got a replacement tire.

Most of my flat tires have happened while I'm in my area. I go to get in the car and notice a low tire. I take the wheel off and carry it to a local tire store to have it repaired.

If it can't be repaired, I put the wheel back on the car and with the tire inflated -- or a space saver tire fitted -- I drive the 1+ miles over to the dealer and leave the car while a new tire -- or two -- is ordered/fitted.

As a tire wears it becomes more at risk of picking something up. Rear tires are notorious for this. Front tires kick it up rear tires pick it up is the saying I recall hearing years ago from the techs who worked in a tire store my Dad managed.

How close to the wear bars one chooses to run the tire is a trade off in some more tire "life" vs. the increased chance of the tire picking up something. I'm increasingly wiling to sacrifice 1K to 2K or even more miles of service life in exchange for new tires with less risk of picking something up.

My Dodge tire experience is limited. About a month ago in my Hellcat sitting at a stop light when the low tire warning appeared. Switched to the tire pressure display. The left rear down to 28psi. As I waited for what seemed like ages for the damn light to change the pressure dropped to 25psi. I had planned on driving the car a few miles to a tire store but the tire was loosing pressure too fast. No gas stations around either.

When light changed turned into a parking lot and got out the compressor with the can of goop.

After reading the directions -- thankfully I had a hard copy of the owners manual in the car, the instructions on the compressor label were not enough -- I used this to introduce goop into the tire along with air. After some minutes of the compressor running -- with the engine idling as per the instructions -- the tire pressure started going up.

The goop worked. Inflated tire to 42 psi -- 10 psi over the recommended 32 psi for just in case. While the compressor was running I had been on the phone and found a Dodge dealer 4 miles away that had the right tires, 2 of them. Drove there and got two new rear tires installed. ($600 for the pair.) Decided to replace both because of the amount of tread depth difference between the old but in otherwise good shape tire and the new tire.

While goop worked when it comes time to head out on a long road trip in my Hellcat I'm going to explore getting a full sized spare tire setup, another wheel a duplicate of the ones on the car along with same tire mounted and carry this in the trunk. I'll have to get a jack and carry a wrench to use. I have a 1/2" drive torque wrench that I can put in the trunk.

The last car I owned that had a full sized spare standard equipment was a 2002 VW Golf TDi. With a full sized spare the peace of mind this brought with it while I was on some long empty stretch of some middle of nowhere highway was priceless.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Funny you should mention this, I have also had very few issues with tire blowouts in my life... Until this 4th of July. I had the whole family up in Payson AZ, and we were driving back in our Pacifica we bought last year. Had a blowout in the sidewall, so I went to get out the spare. I did not even realize not putting spares in vehicles was a thing now. We were in the middle of Payson and phoenix, and I had no signal on my phone. Luckily my wife has a slightly better antenna on hers that was able to get enough of a signal to call a tow, or we'd have been screwed. Both of us, 3 kids including a 5 months old and 3 dogs. It sucked, and was the worst time to have a blowout. I can't believe they aren't putting at least a donut in cars anymore.

It may not happen often, but rest assured that when it does it will be at the most inopportune time. I am going to buy a full size tire for long trips from now on, just in case

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just purchased a 2019 challenger r/t , was shocked to discover no spare tire, I bought one on amazon.com, 385.00 delivered, and was offered a 70 buck discount if I would take an amazon c/c, so net cost 315, tire and wheel looks great, 18 incher, included jack, lug wrench and spare tire, nice package, reading the fine print, it says your oem lug nuts may or may not fit this spare wheel, guess I have to jack it up and remove a tire and see if the oem lug nuts will fit on the spare. Any one reading this post, know if the oem lug nuts will work on this spare?
JIm

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just purchased a 2019 challenger r/t , was shocked to discover no spare tire, I bought one on amazon.com, 385.00 delivered, and was offered a 70 buck discount if I would take an amazon c/c, so net cost 315, tire and wheel looks great, 18 incher, included jack, lug wrench and spare tire, nice package, reading the fine print, it says your oem lug nuts may or may not fit this spare wheel, guess I have to jack it up and remove a tire and see if the oem lug nuts will fit on the spare. Any one reading this post, know if the oem lug nuts will work on this spare?
JIm
If yours is the “ Modern Spare” kit, you will need to use the nuts they sent you with the kit for the spare. The factory nuts will not fit inside the lug holes on the spare rim. I highly recommend doing a dry run in your garage . I went through the entire process, using their tools and jack. Glad I did, as I discovered that neither of the sockets they supplied would fit my O.E. lug nuts! I’d have been screwed if I found this out on the side of the road somewhere! I just took a 7/8” socket from my tool box, and threw it in the trunk. Problem solved. Everything else fit, and worked well.

·
Registered
15,932 Posts
If yours is the “ Modern Spare” kit, you will need to use the nuts they sent you with the kit for the spare. The factory nuts will not fit inside the lug holes on the spare rim. I highly recommend doing a dry run in your garage . I went through the entire process, using their tools and jack. Glad I did, as I discovered that neither of the sockets they supplied would fit my O.E. lug nuts!
Well that's a crock of #[email protected]%! but thanks for pointing that out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,381 Posts
The spare:
did you know that a LARGE percentage of people who finally go to use their spare find it nearly flat from years of neglect? Most car owners never check its air pressure.

·
Registered
15,932 Posts
The spare:
did you know that a LARGE percentage of people who finally go to use their spare find it nearly flat from years of neglect? Most car owners never check its air pressure.
Haha, so true. And you gotta love the boat trailers scattered all over the highways every summer. Guys don't think anything of getting out on the highway with 20 year old tires with who knows how much air and then BOOM.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts