Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, made it 2 years 4 months with no issue for a flat.

Just had one today, big hole, must have driven over a nail. No luck with the fix a flat pump.

I am getting a damn spare, will throw my small floor jack and lug wrench in the back.

How much does a single 20x9 chrome clad rim I can use run?

·
Banned
675 Posts
your R/T didn't come with a spare?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought the first one around when they first came out.
It had no spare, just the goop/air pump
It had 20s when I would have been cool with 18 inch tires
And it had the sunroof which I probably would not have ordered.

so, took what was available. Call it being in a hurry to get one.
Aug/sep 09 was pretty early in getting a Challenger.

Anyways, I agree, a full size spare would not leave a lot of room for the trunk. Probably not the best choice.

How much do the spare kits run? Is the charger 17 x 4 kit too small, got to go with 18 kit?

Or maybe the 18x7.5 full sized will make a cheap spare and not quite so big as a 20.

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
The $100 option is looking pretty good right about now huh? I called Dodge and the space saver rim is $100 and the tire is $160, not to mention the cost of the jack.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have the part numbers, not so cool with the price.

i sure woulde have got that option if i had ordered the car.

i just finished putting tires on this project,

and need rims, exhaust, rear wiring harness, gas tank, AND tires for this project

the car is parked at my work, have heard bad things about tow trucks and these cars,
the RR is not road worthy, the Javelin is partially disassembled for paint,
and the places I have called for tires don't have the size in stock.

The no spare tire set cars should not be allowed to leave the factory or be sold.

great. what companies tend to have the 245/45/20s in stock?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does the AMX have a 401? Haven't seen one for a while.
I wish it was a 401/4 speed

Its a 360 auto.
Guess how long it took to get a rebuild kit for a BorgWarner M1x series tranny that has not been made since 71....

On the tires topic,
no place open left to call,
but zero for three on that 245/45/20s being in stock.
My plan was wife drop me off, I bring a jack and tire stand and lug wrench, and send her off for a new tire.
Then after can drive get another tire and put both new tires on the rear. So much for that plan. I can't believe it might have to sit an extra day or get towed over a freaking flat tire.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I wish it was a 401/4 speed

Its a 360 auto.
Guess how long it took to get a rebuild kit for a BorgWarner M1x series tranny that has not been made since 71....

On the tires topic,
no place open left to call,
but zero for three on that 245/45/20s being in stock.
My plan was wife drop me off, I bring a jack and tire stand and lug wrench, and send her off for a new tire.
Then after can drive get another tire and put both new tires on the rear. So much for that plan. I can't believe it might have to sit an extra day or get towed over a freaking flat tire.
I bet. They had a 69 AMX with a 401 in it in 75 when I got my 70 challenger. Always wondered if I made the right choice.

·
Registered
762 Posts
ramair, my Nephew has rebuilt a couple of Javalins. He loves them. One he has completly rebuilt and painted as the 1971 alabama State Troopers Javalin and takes it to car shows. He has taken home some trophies with it.
As far as the spare tire, I had the same problem as you did and bought a used 18 inch wheel from another member for a spare. Mine came with 20" and equiped as yours. Like you I would not have bought one with the Sun roof nor some of the other accesories. But My wife bought it for me so she could have my 300 C.

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
I couldn't get a spare when I ordered my car; it wasn't available. I would have ordered the $100 spare if I could have.

So, I carry this:

I carry a smaller version with me on the motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
You don't really need a spare, all you need is a $5 plug kit, a small light jack and a compact electric compressor. 10-15 minutes later, you're good to go. You can get the spare, but that just gets you somewhere safe so you can take your time without getting run over. Good call if you want the added safety. But you will plug the tire, fill it up with air and put it back on anyway. Don't use the goop stuff, it can screw up the tpms sensors!!!

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
You don't really need a spare, all you need is a $5 plug kit, a small light jack and a compact electric compressor. 10-15 minutes later, you're good to go. You can get the spare, but that just gets you somewhere safe so you can take your time without getting run over. Good call if you want the added safety. But you will plug the tire, fill it up with air and put it back on anyway. Don't use the goop stuff, it can screw up the tpms sensors!!!
I strongly agree with the last part. That fix a flat will mess up TPMS but I never use a plug in my tires. They disassemble them and put a patch on the inside of the tire. That's the way every Goodyear place I've gone to does it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah, just my luck the type of goop they send from the factory will screw up the tpms instead of just the cheap stuff.

I had thought of getting the plug kit,
but know two guys, one off road and one on road that had them blow out while driving away after fixing. Not the same type of repair as a shop does off the rim.
(the guy on road drove about 40 miles on it though, did not go right to a place.)

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
I've used the goop three times now, twice on the same tire, on my Challenger. No problems with the sensors. Goop, like Fix-a-Flat, has been reformulated for sensors. I have a spare, but I always have a can of goop in the trunk. Just faster than jacking the car up.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
plug reliability

To each their own, I won't argue that patching is better than plugs or visa-versa, but I can honestly say I have plugged my own tires for 30 years on mostly sports cars and never had one fail. I'm not saying they won't or can't, just saying I have never had one fail. Of course, you need to learn how to do it correctly as in with anything else in life. Also, Every time you un-mount a tire you can mess up the rim,(clearcoat), and most kids doing this today do. That then usually leads to corrosion because once that coating is compromised, road salt and other contaminants get in and start breaking down the bond. Better to avoid that problem altogether and just plug...IMO. At least it works for me. Your results may vary...lol:)

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
To each their own, I won't argue that patching is better than plugs or visa-versa, but I can honestly say I have plugged my own tires for 30 years on mostly sports cars and never had one fail. I'm not saying they won't or can't, just saying I have never had one fail. Of course, you need to learn how to do it correctly as in with anything else in life. Also, Every time you un-mount a tire you can mess up the rim,(clearcoat), and most kids doing this today do. That then usually leads to corrosion because once that coating is compromised, road salt and other contaminants get in and start breaking down the bond. Better to avoid that problem altogether and just plug...IMO. At least it works for me. Your results may vary...lol:)
me too. i just plugged one on my kids car last month. ive gotten to the point I can plug it on the car. just roll the car forward till i find the nail using a soapy water solution, pull out the nail with some dikes, clean the hole with the reamer get a plug (i like the brown fiberous ones) and goop it up with vulcanizing cement and install it.

havent had one fail yet

one more thing- my wifes car did get corrosion on her chrome GM rims and now 3 of them lose air. this IS a common problem. the tire bead area corrodes or the chrome flakes off and then it doesnt seal well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts