Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well apparently you can no longer order a 2017 Hellcat Challenger with a sunroof. I went to the dealer on Friday to put in my order for a Torred HC and although you can still choose the sunroof on the Dodge site, the ordering program on the salesman's screen did not feature that option. He supposedly checked with the sales manager this morning who confirmed this. From who I don't know. He also said that they are most likely not going to be on the 2018 cars either as they have a "structural integrity" problem due to the torque and heavy horsepower the car puts out. I can't tell if this guy is serious or blowing smoke. Has anyone else heard this about the sunroof thing?Now I am wondering if I should just get one without the sunroof anyways, or wait until the order banks open up for the 18 cars and see if the sunroof is going to return as an option. It's not a must have, just a nice to have I guesss. Anyone know when dodge will start taking orders on 2018 cars? If it is pretty soon maybe I will just wait.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Sounds a little ridiculous to me. They've made them for 3 years now, you'd think they would have discovered structural issues long ago.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds a little ridiculous to me. They've made them for 3 years now, you'd think they would have discovered structural issues long ago.
I found some old posts and info out on the web today from years ago where people said they had issues but can't seem to find any current info on this. The fact that he just got a Charger in with a sunroof also makes me suspicious. Like did they just stop making Hellcats without sunroofs THIS WEEK or something?

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Would not surprise me. That is the drawback of using a car for everything from a V6 to a 10 second (With the Demon 9 second) car. The Hellcat/Demon should come on a full frame like the Viper or Vette.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Call Dodge customer service and ask one of the reps. They might have more info on this. It sounds like your dealer could be searching for cars that are already built with your configuration, sitting on other lots and it might be possible that NONE of them have sunroofs. When I ordered my Scat Pack a month ago the dealer searched other lots for my configuration before sending the new build to Dodge.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'd find one with a sunroof. They're nice, especially in the evenings. 6 out of the 7 vehicles my wife, two sons and I own have a sunroof, the 7th is a convertible. I agree with mr. cheez, the salesman has probably found a car on another lot without a sunroof and can most likely make more profit along with a quicker sale. Its all about money with these guys !! Don't be talked out of something for the salesman's convenience. Good Luck. :smile:

·
Super Moderator
15,350 Posts
There may be a supplier issue - the sunroofs for the 'Cats have some provisions to prevent lift / wind leaks at the higher speeds the car is capable of.

$1,195 for 'standard' sunroof [all models exc. Hellcat]

$1,995 for Hellcat sunroof option

If there's restrictions in production, those options can be 'grayed out' on the dealer's system when trying to order.

·
Registered
14,272 Posts
Towards the end of the model year certain options may be restricted right? I'm thinking at this point just wait and order an 18 next month.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
It was just announced that the Demon will have a sunroof option. Which is surprising because it kinda goes against the purpose of the car. It's a $4995 option on the Demon, so who knows maybe it adds extra reinforcement? But it goes to show that it's not a structural concern on high hp/high torque cars.

If it were me I'd probably just order without. I find a sunroof intrudes on headroom, and having a hole in the roof hurts the appearance from the outside. That's just me though, pay no mind. I'm sure the sunroof will be back for 2018.

·
Registered
14,272 Posts
Wow, 5 grand! I'd say they couldn't do 5 grand worth of reinforcements so guess they're charging 5 because they can.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Yep, no desire for a sunroof on my cars. More headroom, less weight, no chance of another thing to break and/or leak and save the money for mods :)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Wow, 5 grand! I'd say they couldn't do 5 grand worth of reinforcements so guess they're charging 5 because they can.

They're making up for the 6500 in add ons you get for 4 bucks...... :cheers:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Special ordered my 2017 on April 22nd with power sunroof option. Car is built with sunroof and due to be at dealership in next couple days.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
My 2017 has a sunroof.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I have since realized that the dealer was jacking me around and was trying to get me to buy what was left from the 2017 inventory. Meaning no torred cars with a sunroof can be had. The 2018's can be ordered now but I don't think I'll do anything until Dodge updates their page in August so I can see what all the options and costs are for myself.

·
Super Moderator
15,350 Posts
Yeah I have since realized that the dealer was jacking me around and was trying to get me to buy what was left from the 2017 inventory. Meaning no torred cars with a sunroof can be had. The 2018's can be ordered now but I don't think I'll do anything until Dodge updates their page in August so I can see what all the options and costs are for myself.
Keep in mind that the prices generally increase slightly going to the new model year.

I've ordered both my cars prior to production start of year, and by the time they're built, the new prices are in effect - and show on the Monroney sticker (window sticker).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts