Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I have an 09SRT8 with the Kicker sub and the whole 9 yards. After getting out of my BMW, and into the Challenger recently, I was really down on the Challengers system. I then decide to play with the fader, and find that the rear speakers have almost no vocals or highs coming from them when setting the fader to Rear only, and also seem to cut in and out.

I mention this to a friend who has the same car, and he has the same result. He even thought that perhaps there no rear speakers at all! Next he mentions it to a friend, and the SAME thing! Anyone have any idea what is going on here? I took mine to the dealer, and they said I needed new speakers, ordered them, installed them, and no different.

I have installed stereos professionally for 3 years (long time ago), and have never heard anything like this. The dealer has since ordered me a new head unit, but I am sure that will not make a difference either unless all 09 SRT8's had defective units....

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Since you probably have the DVD model - is the sound effect set to Surround Sound??? That could explain the cutting out effect on normal music. Todays set-ups have the rear channels as FILL only and typically only produce some of the full range stereo sound since the stage is up front. Check for any sound effects turned on and turn them off to see if it helps.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since you probably have the DVD model - is the sound effect set to Surround Sound??? That could explain the cutting out effect on normal music. Todays set-ups have the rear channels as FILL only and typically only produce some of the full range stereo sound since the stage is up front. Check for any sound effects turned on and turn them off to see if it helps.

Good thought, it does sound like a surround mode type of thing. However, I went out there for a while, and do nto see any settings for that. It simply has an EQ, and fader. I even put a movie in to see if an option became available but it did not. The sound from the rear speakers is in no way acceptable to me. you can hear an extremely light voice through them that echoes as it would through a sub. Also, it fades in and out. They are in no way helping the sound of the system.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wait, I have to check EVIC. I thing that is where that option is.....I do recall seeing it now.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was it!!! Changed form "Surround Audio" to "Stereo" from within EVIC. Stereo sounds 20x better now!!! Thanks Robo! I cannot believe I did not pick up on that......Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Cool beans! :bigthumb:

I remember people having issues with music/DVD players 2 years ago on Challenger Talk... at least I remember something - that's the great thing about internet and chat boards... instant answers to questions without the the dealer touching anything.

·
Registered
191 Posts
That was it!!! Changed form "Surround Audio" to "Stereo" from within EVIC. Stereo sounds 20x better now!!! Thanks Robo! I cannot believe I did not pick up on that......Thanks again!
Glad you fixed the problem but I find it rather irritating that a dealer would order new speakers and a new head unit to fix something that could have been resolved by changing a setting in the car - A setting that was meant to be changed back and forth. What a waste of money by Dodge.

·
Registered
441 Posts
im going to have to check this out. its in the EVIC setting you say???
I could never find this on my car. I have the DVD system and EVIC controls and have never seen anything of this nature..

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Also be a aware on the stock and Boston systems (not sure about the Kicker ones) that the rear speakers are reduced above 22-23 on the stock head unit.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
must only apply to cars with the kicker cause i dont have the problem or the option to change from surround
That's it!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Is this only on SRT's? I just checked my 09 R/T and the sound is as good as I can imagine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts