Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
this is a stupid question but if i take the heads off do i have to worry about dropping a valve seat when changing the springs?

·
Super Moderator
15,766 Posts
So I believe this is the mopar performance camshaft specs used in the scat package (requires mopar performance springs). Again, wonder what the MMX cam spec is?
View attachment 998951
$1,060 list price for a cam!?! it must be plated with unobtainium for that price...

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
793 Posts
this is a stupid question but if i take the heads off do i have to worry about dropping a valve seat when changing the springs?
That would be a no. The seats are pressed into the head with quite a bit of force. You will most likely have a good time (nothing serious, just annoying) with the valve locks if you change springs though.

·
Super Moderator
15,766 Posts
That would be a no. The seats are pressed into the head with quite a bit of force. You will most likely have a good time (nothing serious, just annoying) with the valve locks if you change springs though.
apply a small dab of grease to the inside of the step keeper / lock and it will stick to the valve stem. Learned that tip from a friend of mine that does this for a living

Just make sure your finger is clean and the backside of the keeper so it won't try to stick to your finger...

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
793 Posts
Magnets work great for getting them out, but yeah the grease and needle nose work good for putting them back. Even then, it's pretty easy to launch one when putting them back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So to recap, 6.2 cam 250 head bolts 40-80 head gaskets 30, pro springs 70-80 mds delete 240 and pror mistakes= 600-700 overall for parts and a weekend to do it all or 220 for a 6.4 cam 70-80 for springs..... hmm choices

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,347 Posts
$1,060 list price for a cam!?! it must be plated with unobtainium for that price...
Yeah but I have seen cams a while ago for close to that if you include the phase locker/limiter. When I was doing the 6.2 swap the aftermarket cams were $700-$800. Looking at MMX site they are now around $600.

Although the 5160018 cam is ~$870 with the phaser limiter. Still crazy expensive for a bump stick IMO.

As for the keepers the dab of grease and fingers was really the only way to get them in and to stay on the valves nearest the firewall. I did lose one keeper on the floor that I never found so I had to run to the dealership to get a replacement and some more just in case.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
564 Posts
Yeah but I have seen cams a while ago for close to that if you include the phase locker/limiter. When I was doing the 6.2 swap the aftermarket cams were $700-$800. Looking at MMX site they are now around $600.

Although the 5160018 cam is ~$870 with the phaser limiter. Still crazy expensive for a bump stick IMO.

As for the keepers the dab of grease and fingers was really the only way to get them in and to stay on the valves nearest the firewall. I did lose one keeper on the floor that I never found so I had to run to the dealership to get a replacement and some more just in case.
after pulling springs off 6 different times i never lost a keeper and actually didnt use grease. I did however lose 2 retainers somehow that i still never found to this day, pretty sure they fell in the passenger side motor mount. You're lucky the keeper didnt fall into the motor, i was terrified of that

21 - 28 of 28 Posts