Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
let me just start off saying this is only my second post on this forum. im interested in owning a srt core challenger, so i went to the dealership that cars.com said to go in my area to test drive a srt core.

So i show up and the salesman tells me i cant test drive a srt because most people that buy one don't want miles on it! is that the standard rule? i asked him how do you know what you want unless you drive it?

If that wasn't enough he then tells me he never heard or seen a core model in his life! i told him that it came out in 2013 and it is a stripped down version of the regular srt.

I dont now about anyone else if im a salesman i would make it my business to know about all the products im selling!

I think this forum is awesome! lots of info given... anybody in the longisland ny area know any dealerships that will show me a car with out bull please let me know thanx!:icon_smile:

·
Registered
968 Posts
I can't help you to find a good dealership, but I can weigh in.

If a dealership only has one or two SRT's, I guess they won't do test drives. The one I test drove must have been the specific test-drive model because it had over 1k miles on it.

So I was denied a test drive as well at first. Then I went to another dealer with more SRTs, and they were great and I got my core!

Long story short-- 90% of dealerships are total crap. 10% will really help you to get what you want because they know it benefits you both.

Hold out for the core, they are great.

·
Supporting Vendors
1,246 Posts
Welcome to CT!

Honestly, I wouldn't get to upset about them turning you down for a test drive. They definitely want to keep the miles as low as possible and avoid people like me who just love test driving cars lol.

Nick C.

·
Premium Member
N/A
1,814 Posts
I only drove 1 SRT8 in my search in April 2013, it was a 2012 YJ SRT8 A5, i went to 5 dealership, that sales guy had to ask the "Sales Manager' as it was thier policy not to allow test drives on SRT8 Vehicles. The YJ had been sitting on there lot for some time it had just over 1000 miles on it. the test drive was about 4 miles. It was not a question for me if i was buying an SRT8 Core just when and who could give me the best deal. I phoned a Friend who owns a dealership 250 miles from where i lived, told him i qualified for CDI discount, he order the car 4-11-13 and i picked the car up on 5-11-2013. He also drove my suburban back to me 3 weeks later. Where are you OP located?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I won't buy a car without a test drive, period. I won't put a deposit on a car to do a test drive. If a dealership has a problem with that, then I will take my business to one that will appreciate it.

I find that dealerships that don't allow test drives will provide poor support and service down the road if you have an SRT. They're interested in people who buy vehicluar appliances, show up for their maintenance like good little customers, and come back in three years to do it all again.

They did you a favor. Now you can find a dealership you can have a good relationship with, that starts with a test drive.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I can understand them not allowing test drives....when I test drove one I did a few beat runs on it from 0-100mph.....would you want me test driving your new car?????

I wouldn't buy a special car brand new unless it had under 10 miles on it....

I bought my IE w/o a test drive of the 392...I test drove a 6.1 6 months earlier
I bought my GT500 over the internet w/o ever driving one....I test drove a GT/CS here at home

when I bought my GT500 it had all the packing stuff still on it...It literally took 5 mins to pull 25 pieces of plastic off the car....it was very cool....kinda made it into an experience.......

it would be nice to do the same on your Core.....just test drive a RT...its close enough to let you know what it will be like

·
Registered
724 Posts
I can't help you to find a good dealership, but I can weigh in.

If a dealership only has one or two SRT's, I guess they won't do test drives. The one I test drove must have been the specific test-drive model because it had over 1k miles on it.

So I was denied a test drive as well at first. Then I went to another dealer with more SRTs, and they were great and I got my core!

Long story short-- 90% of dealerships are total crap. 10% will really help you to get what you want because they know it benefits you both.

Hold out for the core, they are great.

I find it rediculous that they wouldn't let you test drive the car
I test drove a Camaro first before buying the srt8
The srt test drive solidified the fact that the car was no comparison
Not only did the dealer let me test drive the srt but they let me take it by myself for a cruise
My reco is to go to another dealer
When you buy it roll by the other dealer and say thanks for the test drive as*holes lol

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx for your comments! i found a good dealership not to far from my house.. salesman was knowledgeable and was a retired cop, being that im a cop we understood each other. still couldnt get to test drive the srt 392 core so i drove a 2014 r/t plus they had next to it. let me just say you can hear how solid the car is when you close the door! what a joy to drive this car! shifts nice if you find the sweet spot and dont man handle it! i will probably order the srt core in december.. hope i can get sublime by then!:icon_cool:

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I can understand why they don't want many to test drive a srt. too many dreamers out there.
All the srt's would have 800 miles on them with 200 losers who sat in your front seat.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Hell, when I went to the better dealership there was a guy who convinced them to let him test drive the challenger I was looking at buying. It had 5 miles, and he presented a cashiers check for the total amount so they let him...

an hour later they told me that his check was fake, and he tried passing it at the dealer next door also.

So naturally I refused to buy the car because he had driven it, and picked the one that had only been driven off the truck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I can't speak for other dealerships. Our policy is to not let anyone test drive an SRT car until we have sat down, worked figures, and run credit (if needed).

Customers will walk away from SRT cars over 25 easily and move on until they find one that has less than that.

Personally, I would not buy an SRT car that had over 25-50 miles on it.

It's not a corporate policy, just dealerships doing what they can to protect themselves and look out for the real customers. You would be amazed at the number of people who come in and ask to drive an SRT thinking that they can buy one for $300 per month. If a salesperson doesn't qualify well, then it is not good for the customer or the dealership. SO many dealerships will pre-qualify by running numbers before a test drive.

There was a corporate policy for a while with Vipers where until the car was bought and paid for, only a certified salesman was allowed to drive it. Every dealership that sold them had to send 2 salesman and a manager to driving classes to learn how to control them. About 20% of Vipers never made it home. So you can see why dealers are weary of letting anyone come in and drive a vehicle with that much power.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Before i bought my srt core went to several dealers to test drive what they had in stock. Not all but some did ask was i serious about buying because they wanted to keep down the mileage on their srt's. Its true , not many on the lot , but not one dealer refused me a test drive. Maybe it had something to do with my age. I'm 61.
No problem test driving the camaro ss with the 1le package either.

·
Registered
724 Posts
An srt challenger is no viper
I would have considered it an insult if I weren't allowed to drive the car I was buying
I'm sure every dealer has different rules but it bothers me
I would have raised hell over there lol

·
Registered
724 Posts
I Bet the dealer discriminates also
If I were wearing my suit and Rolex at the same place they would prob give me the keys
So annoying

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
I understand your desire to test drive and hope you will have the opportunity to do so.

At the same time, I do not want to buy a Challenger that someone else drove. But insist on driving it before taking possession.

Seems to me they could charge for the test drive and credit the customer the same amount if the end up buying.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I'm torn but see both sides. Both of the SRT vehicles I bought had 7 and 27 miles on them respectivey. If you really do want to test drive a vehicle tell them you are very interested, go ahead and check my credit, and if I like it after the drive then maybe we can talk numbers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Went to dealer and they said no test drives. As I was looking at several cars I noticed they all had a couple hundred miles on them. I asked the salesman if there are no test drives how come 5 of the SRT's I looked at had a few hundred miles and he said the GM and sales manager use them sometimes. REALLY!! What a joke. Ended up buying from a member of the forum.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's funny! Forgot to look at odometer when I was sitting in core model. :no:

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I can understand dealers want to screen out joy riders, but they take their chances by refusing customers to test drive.

I want to test drive the car before I waste two hours working out the numbers. I may not even like the car!

I am a very profitable customer: I have bought countless cars in my life, service my car at the dealership and prefer to buy OE parts and accessories.

I have been refused to test drive only twice...both times by the same local dealer within a five year span. Needless to say I don't bother shopping at that dealer any more.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 54 Posts