Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just running in the car ,after the new forged pistons and rods fitted last weekend, I have now got a noise a rattle/ tick when its cold on start up its there all the time until it gets to running temp , but is still noticeable not so much when hot, wind window down, and sitting at lights you can hear it , and soon as you drive off under load I think it goes ?, it I put back the rockers and push rods back in there same place it`s not been there before build have I done something not right?
any help would be gladly thanked , Before I need to strip out the rockers and push rods again ( may have to fit new parts, your thoughts )
( 2014 srt8 392, 9550 miles)

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
did you put aftermarket springs in? if you did, did you have the install height set? if not that may be your problem.

also did you change out the lifters?

Reactions: tony in uk

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for feed back ,all valves springs are original , I did not expect change the lifters as its only low miles
the only thing I can do is remove rocker covers and check out if any bent or not seated right
otherwise all is original parts supplied just piston and rods

·
Super Moderator
15,574 Posts
Tony - one of the things to watch for (there were service bulletins on this)

There are retainers that hold the spacer (which bolt passes through) on rocker shaft - there's small metal tabs (on underside) that can get bent and prevent the rocker shaft from seating fully on the pedestal they're bolted onto.

This can contribute to oil pressure bleeding down and the lifters not getting as much pressure supply of oil to them.

Oil flow from head pedestals into rocker shaft, to rockers, then through pushrods, then supplying the lifters.

these tabs pass though the bolt hole and protrude out on underside. They should be parallel alongside the bolt and would fit into the hole on the boss they rocker shaft bolts into.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When we fitted the pistons I checked that the pistons was clear of those oil squitter's on full revolution of crank

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hal H yes this might be it when they where put back on we did make sure they fitted ok a couple of the bolts did come out
slowly unscrewed the bolt then put back that tiny flat, I`d call it a washer ! with two small tangs on them
we are going to take the covers off very soon don`t want to drive it to work ,we have hoist there I have ordered new push rods and rocker arm kits don`t want to make the mistake of not having the parts
as you might be aware I can`t just go to my local dealer here in the UK its a pain!, yes it is expensive way to do but I`ve got parts on hand
Hal H, Do you think my lifters be OK?
I `m more inclined to think its those rocker set up as you have said !
really appreciate all this help its a long across that water!!

·
Super Moderator
15,574 Posts
Its an easy thing to check - since you just did the job, you can reuse the rocker cover gaskets.

If those tangs are bent, straighten them out or trim them off. You want to rocker shaft to seat fully against that boss.

Lifters are probably okay - you're hearing the extra lash if they're bleeding down too much.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hal H
thank you for your expert advise
I will do what you say, and contact you to let you know the outcome
Best wishes

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for reply, We pre cranked the engine to get the pressure up , light went out on dash, turn it over a few more times seems all ok, it started up ok after a little
while the ticking kicked in, on tick over it sounded quite loud then as it warmed up it slowly went a bit quitter but still there!
drove it a bit not too high revs although Mahle said don't let the engine `lug` be a bit aggressive with the revs and calm down to normal revs no more now I`m doing about 2000 2500 rpm and changing gear often ( new piston and rods fitted)
Its been standing now over a week, haven't done any thing to it yet bought some MMO, going to check out oil level when cold drain off a bit of oil and add the MMO in.
(Using Mobil 1) it might get the oil into the lifters quicker, its a chance !!
I have unfortunately ordered new lifters and rocker arms as a back up , only reason I can`t get the parts that quick as you guys can
will keep you posted .........any other thoughts and idea`s most welcome
thanks

·
Registered
491 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It still baffles me, the cars only done 9550 miles, why should there be lifter agro ? all that was done is pistons and rods , the lifters where left in there place had no issues before only this started when put back together??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts