Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is a cold air thing BUT had the car out over the weekend and when I would take off from a stop in 1st I'm hearing a creaking sound from the rear of the car, seems to be more from the drivers side of the car. It does not do it all the time, but something IS making a noise. Just wondering IF anyone else has heard this and found the problem? :scratchhead:

·
Super Moderator
16,094 Posts
I noticed this last year as well with mine too.

Its a very slight sound, taking off in 1st moderately. If I have the radio off, I would notice it. Sounds like the creak is coming from rear suspension on driver's side.

I had the dealer check it out when I brought my car in for the battery RRT campaign and they didn't notice anything rubbing/wearing/unusual.

At least I have it documented on a service order and I haven't noticed any change, so I'm observing it for any increase in noise or frequency - if it gets more noticeable I'll go back (still have two years of bumper-to-bumper warranty).

·
Registered
4 Posts
My '09 SRT8 6-speed (w/14k miles) just developed the exact rear driver's side "creaking" issue you describe after I had the dealer do an oil change on it. I suspect that when they lifted the car and let the suspension drop to a fully extended position it tweaked one of the rear suspension or rear cradle bushings. I told the dealer about it and they said bring it back and we'll lubricate the suspension and tighten up the bolts. Haven't brought it back yet because I'm kind of nervous having them guess at what the problem is. I wanted to check it out here first to see if anyone had been through this and had it fixed right. Anyone???

·
Registered
185 Posts
Don't know if mine is the same situation, but I get a thump from my rear end when I get on and off the throttle in lower gears. Almost sounds like the rear diff is rocking back and forth.

It was like that the day I bought it, and the Eibach suspension made no difference at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your "thunk" is most likely the rear differential gear. This is typically caused by "normal" clearances between the ring and pinion gears in the differential as you transition from a load to a no-load condition (as in on and off the gas while leaving it in gear). This type of thunk is considered a normal occurrance in a manual transmission vehicle (as long as it's not excessive) because of the direct connection between the engine/transmission and the rear differential. It is usually not noticable on a auto trans vehicle because the fluid "link" of the torque converter helps to absorb the shock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Btw, it rained today (yes, I actually drive mine in the rain!) and my rear suspension "creek" went away. Obviously the water "lubed" the bushing that was causing the noise. Suspect it might return once it dries out though...

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have this creaking sound. 2000 miles on the car and I noticed it recently. Happens in first and 2nd only when initially accelerating. Since other people have it to, I'm not going to worry about it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
jrdart512...
I have about 9k on the old girl and she is doing it to!...it sounds to me like a thick rope being drawn tight on a wood beam...had it to the dealer twice...up on the lift...cant reproduce the sound...also if your going slow (less than 5 miles per hour)...gently hit the breaks...it does it....the only different thing I've been doing with the car in the last few months is bedding the breaks (strong but easy breaking from 70 to 20 mph; 6 times) because of break squeal...I wonder if the "tilting" of the car during breaking caused a suppension bushing or seal to be stressed...
...Seamaster...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have this problem too. I can pinpoint when it started as well. I was turning into a driveway on an angle up a slight incline. I started hearing this immediately on the driver's rear. I only hear it at low speeds and normally when hitting some type of bump or incline. I figured something in the rear suspension got out of whack when I pulled into the drive on an incline. I'll have the dealer check it out when I go pick up my Hurst shifter Friday.
Oh, and 800 miles here.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Case resolved after 3 visits to the dealer...The parking brake cable was rubbing against the gastank so the mechanic pushed the cable up a few inches...took it for
a test drive...NO creaking sound....then the next morning the creaking was back...SO off to the dealer again...this time used a plastic wire tie to the parking brake cable and attached it to an out of the way NON RUBBING area....been OK for weeks now.
With the car up on a lift...stand under the gas tank facing forward toward the engine.
This cable is on the "left side of the gas tank"...hopefully this is a fix for you guys and girls...you should see the cable between the tank and the chassis platform.
...Seamaster...

·
Super Moderator
16,094 Posts
Seamaster - thanks for the tip! Sounds like an easy DIY fix.

Glad to hear that its nothing serious - just the cable rubbing against a part.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hal H...thanks for the reply...If anyone has difficulty determining which cable is what...I'll try to take an picture the next chance I'm under the car...

...Seamaster...

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the same syptoms as Seamaster, I'm going to check the parking cable. That noise was driving me crazy, hopefully its the cable. Thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
It's a pretty common problem. There's so much movement at the cradle bushings that it stands to reason that if the cable, or anything else that's cradle mounted can touch it will make noise. When inspecting the area, keep in mind the side to side and front to back motion at the cradle. I can also see where a rock or such lodged between the cradle and the body could drive one crazy as well.

Check out the under car videos of the cradle movement at The Solution To ?Wheel Hop? For Chrysler Challenger Click on the wheel hop problem tab.

·
Registered
818 Posts
well its time to resurrect a dead thread. Does anyone have a pic of where this is? My car developed the squeak, and after about a month of hassle and dealership run around its still not fixed. Sounds exactly the same as seamaster described.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I know old thread but wanted to share. Last few days in my new to me purchase. Had car two weeks. I left work on our incline hill. And accelerated away at a residential street pace. Well from first into second gear I got a loud kick in the rear followed by multiple bangs. And a Christmas tree of lights. That sneaking noise in my back right wheel which I thought was brake dust or foreign objects in the Brembo..... was a bearing in the axle going cause it sheered from that point and snapped. So far lucky for me no one was hurt cause I was only at about 25mph when it happened and was able to pull right of to side. So long story short, don't let the sqeaks go unchecked. Or Ass_u_me it simple b.s.. I'm upset but not crushed. And since my 08 only has 22k on it... looks like Chrysler is covering under 100k power train warranty. Also I apologize for no paragraphs,but on my tablet I'm limited on what it will do lol Hope someone who was trouble shooting like me finds this useful.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ok here I go in a rant.

First silicone lube(find it at your auto parts store) lube all your bushings. Drove. Lube again. Drive.
Should take care of ANY bushing related problem and eliminate any better bushing noise what so ever. Then you need to go from there. Full neopreen bushings are tough and squeak like hell. But if your racing and have straight pipes directly from to headers you'll never know but regular cars arnt that way and production manufacturing is going to what is tight even though there not going full on neopreen they are using a composite which does cause noise. Lube dry bushings and see if your noise goes away. Mine did and for $5 can't go wrong

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts