Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a road trip this weekend and noticed an intermittent recorder/flute like sound that seems to emanate from the passenger side dash or passenger side "A" pillar. It almost sounds like a "toot" and seems to only occur at upper highway speeds of 60-80 mph.

Has anyone else noticed this sound? Any idea on how to deal with this? :scratchhead:

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mines never done that...Might want to just stay above 80.LOL
LOL.... it seems to do it at higher speeds too. Anybody else have this problem.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Don't have the problem but maybe it is an air leak around the passenger window?

·
Registered
154 Posts
My 03' HEMI Ram did this between 45-50mph and my SRT Charger does it around the same range. When the speedo was in that range and I let off the throttle, the sound goes away. WIERD.

Whiter

·
Registered
954 Posts
turn up the radio!!! ok just kidding,i havent heard that but both challengers i have have a rattly sound that sounds like it comes from the lower door area,barely noticable but there

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Waumo,

I had my gf drive for awhile so that maybe I could pinpoint the sound. At first we both thought that is was an airleak from the passenger side window/door but after putting my ear right up to both.... it really sounds like its coming from the air vent that is on the top dash passenger side.....or possibly from an air leak in the windshield :scratchhead:

Don't have the problem but maybe it is an air leak around the passenger window?
R/T CLASSIC,......Alright smart ass.....lol:bigthumb:........ Ok I gotta admit...... thats what I did do.

turn up the radio!!! ok just kidding,i havent heard that but both challengers i have have a rattly sound that sounds like it comes from the lower door area,barely noticable but there

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My 03' HEMI Ram did this between 45-50mph and my SRT Charger does it around the same range. When the speedo was in that range and I let off the throttle, the sound goes away. WIERD.

Whiter
Mine goes away also when I let off the throttle but not right away.....it seems like when it slows down enough it quits....:ugh2::dunno:

·
Registered
954 Posts
almost sounds like it has something to do with engine rpm/vacuum.maybe there is a vacuum motor in the dash in that area that has developed a leak?i havent looked on mine but you might be able to acces it if you remove the glovebox door?

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Old timers trick -

Get yourself a piece of tubing and put one end of the tubing up to your ear and use the other end to locate the source of the sound. It will be very evident when you home in on it. You might have to use an ear plug in the other ear.

They sell electronic devices to do this but the tubing trick has always worked for me. Great for locating the source of engine sounds also. Be careful around moving parts though!

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Old timers trick -

Get yourself a piece of tubing and put one end of the tubing up to your ear and use the other end to locate the source of the sound. It will be very evident when you home in on it. You might have to use an ear plug in the other ear.

They sell electronic devices to do this but the tubing trick has always worked for me. Great for locating the source of engine sounds also. Be careful around moving parts though!
Thanks Waumo,

I forgot about that old trick (I'm kinda old too). Great idea.

On a side note: this puts me at my 100th post......:bigthumb:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Both of my vehicles made this noise since new. I have tried it all, radio off, radio on, windows up, windows down, AC on, AC off but whatever I did, I still get that "tuning fork" sound at 45-50mph. It's not very loud, but it is there.

Whiter

·
Registered
177 Posts
Old timers trick -

Hey, it woked for Thomas Edison.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts