Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Otaysss
When I take off from a START(Manual trans}
I can hear a noise,Sometimes its loud and sometimes its not.
I think Its from the Tranny when taking off ONLY(Never hear it slowing up}
Thought it was a rear end noise but I feel its maybe the tranny area.
Took it to Dodge and it was hard to redo the noise so
the dodge folks could not hear anything.....
I have till the end of the year till my warrenty runs out.
Thats when I will tradin my Challenger for maybe another challenger or
maybe something differant........
Just wondering do any of you have the noise that I have,maybe your is not a s loud...........................................JQ

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have the same thing going on with my auto trans. It sometimes sounds like "axle wrap" although I know it's possible since a Challenger does not have leaf-springs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Is it possible that your clutch is glazed? Is it happening when the clutch pedal is to the floor (disengaged) or as you are engaging the clutch. Are you kind of grannying it when it happens?

I have a similar issue thats actually getting better and I think its that my clutch is glazed. I did a couple of moderately hard launches and the issue is largely fixed. It rarely happens now and only when I am riding the clutch a bit (ex - trying not to roll back on an incline).

My local dealer had it 3 times and the best they came up with was to change a strut. They were clueless and very disrespectful so I found a new dealer but I have not taken the car to them for anything yet.

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its no big deal for me since my warrenty is up at the end of the year
and I will be tradin it in for another challenger or something else(Maybe a camaro lol}
It only happens when releasing the clutch in 1st rear
Many times there is No Whining,but sometimes its loud and other times its not as loud.
I thought the whining was from the rear end,but I feel its from the tranny area.
Kinda sucks nobody else has it lol,,,,I might take the car to the dealer when the weather gets better and when the whining is at 100% all the time..Thanks ..............KQ

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
The camaro I test drove was a 6M. Had the worst clunking sound almost every gear shift coming from rear differential. Dealer said that was "normal". I didn't think it sounded normal, but maybe it is for a Camaro. I know the Challenger doesn't clunk, and I thought to myself, if this is the attitude about a concern BEFORE I buy it, what must it be like after the purchase?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
If it is only on take off it is not the clutch. A glazed clutch is not going to make noise but may make the car shake when applying the clutch. (engaging it) Sounds more like Input shaft bearings in the tranny or gears may have been cut a little rough on the input or countershaft. Take off is when they get the most torque applied to them.
You also state when letting up the pedal- could also be the throw out bearing is a little bit on the dry side and when the pressure is releasing it gets to just the right spot and whines a little.

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your input
Even if I take off in 2nd gear I will hear the Whine
If the car is cold or hot it still makes the noise
Like I said sometimes its loud and other times not so loud and
other times there is no noise.
Car does not shake when shifting,,,just a very annoying noise....thanks................JQ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts