Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SRT 392 2016 about 30k miles.
Just had my first road trip and noticed noise that makes me worried..

A discrete intermittent irregular banging/exploding noise when standing still. Can be felt through the drivers seat and steering wheel. The sound is too low to catch on my phone.. Wtf is this? 🤔

Also a humming noise when turning the steering wheel at low speed, did some googling and read about differential friction fluid.. What kind of friction fluid and oil is recommended for my car, and where do I find it?

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,433 Posts
SRT 392 2016 about 30k miles.
Just had my first road trip and noticed noise that makes me worried..

A discrete intermittent irregular banging/exploding noise when standing still. Can be felt through the drivers seat and steering wheel. The sound is too low to catch on my phone.. Wtf is this? 🤔
No clue what this could be. You’ll have to get a recording of it to post up for me to even venture a guess.

Also a humming noise when turning the steering wheel at low speed, did some googling and read about differential friction fluid.. What kind of friction fluid and oil is recommended for my car, and where do I find it?
Does it make the noise when the car is in Park and the steering wheel is slowly cranked from one side all the way around to the other?

If so, that’s coming from the steering system, either the rack or PS pump.

As far as the friction oil you referenced, that would be the LSD additive that is sometimes used when the rear-end’s gear oil is changed.

If the gear oil used to refill it does not have the LSD additive already in it, the additive is purchased separately and mixed in at drain& fill service.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No clue what this could be. You’ll have to get a recording of it to post up for me to even venture a guess.

Does it make the noise when the car is in Park and the steering wheel is slowly cranked from one side all the way around to the other?

If so, that’s coming from the steering system, either the rack or PS pump.

As far as the friction oil you referenced, that would be the LSD additive that is sometimes used when the rear-end’s gear oil is changed.

If the gear oil used to refill it does not have the LSD additive already in it, the additive is purchased separately and mixed in at drain& fill service.
Thanks for the input.
The sound from turning the steering wheel only occurs while moving, not in park standing still. Perhaps the diff oil change is the right way to go?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts