Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is the common for the 5.7 to be noisy. At idle i here the injector but other tapping going on also. When driving it at around 2k can hear a slight tap that gets faster as rpm's rise. Its not realy loud but i can notice it when radio is off and windows are up. The car only has 250 miles on it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My wife's 2014 Durango rt also has a noisy engine, but I'm guessing it's normal since we have 14k on it now and it drives great!!

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
You have a warranty. Just run it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That would be the infamous "Hemi Tick". Most of us have it, and there are many threads about it. From what I have learned, it's normal. I have it too. There's nothing wrong with the engine, you pretty much just learn to live with it.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Is the common for the 5.7 to be noisy. At idle i here the injector but other tapping going on also. When driving it at around 2k can hear a slight tap that gets faster as rpm's rise. Its not realy loud but i can notice it when radio is off and windows are up. The car only has 250 miles on it.
Do a search for Hemi Tick. There are a couple threads here covering it. There IS a Hemi Tick. AND there is another tick that's associated with tabs being left on the lifters. There is a service bulletin on it. My 14 sounded like your description and the service bulletin repair stopped it. I have a very, very slight tick but nothing like it was. Sounded like an un-oiled sewing machine. Its worth checking out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I have a 2012 R/T and after about 3000 miles the tick was there only at start up. Now with 9000 miles the tick is completely gone. Like in a previous post, you have the warranty and the service bulletin. If it continues, maybe you want to have it looked at. Some folks that I know have the same issue with their Chargers and 300's and they have just learned to live with it. I guess it depends on how loud and annoying it is to you.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I have a 2012 R/T and after about 3000 miles the tick was there only at start up. Now with 9000 miles the tick is completely gone. Like in a previous post, you have the warranty and the service bulletin. If it continues, maybe you want to have it looked at. Some folks that I know have the same issue with their Chargers and 300's and they have just learned to live with it. I guess it depends on how loud and annoying it is to you.
I think it would be good to at least have it checked. Further on the service paperwork could be worth its weight. I had an 09 R/T that purred like a kitten, not a tick to be heard. My 14 was awful to my ears. I couldn't see spending thousands of dollars on a car that sounded like it was going to detonate. But that's just me I guess. My dealer did the service and the ticking is gone. Worth getting it checked.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will just run it by the dealer to check it out. The last hemi i had was a 2006 ram that the noise was more from the bottom end. This one sounds more from the top.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,559 Posts
Mine has ticked for all 72k so far. I only hear it at idle and that's mostly if outside the car, barely hear it inside. It actually ticks more since the TC failure and that's with new heads, lifters, etc....

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Its not realy loud but i can notice it when radio is off and windows are up.

In my opinion that would be loud. Yes, it would be best to make the dealer aware of it and get documentation on record just in case..............

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
My 392 ticked when new, and I have since done 2 oil changes with Mobile One, the tick is now completely gone.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will stop at dealer next week to let them know. I will have them look at it when i get first oil change at !000 miles.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I would say that Hemi tick is not unusual while idling in neutral, but being able to hear it while you are running down the road, does not sound normal. Hence, it is either an abnormally loud Hemi tick or there is definitely an issue under the valve covers, if that is the case.

·
Premium Member
7,322 Posts
If it were mine, I'd try to pin point the noise. Use a mechanic's stethoscope or a long screwdriver with the handle pressed into your ear. Probe all over by touching the tip of the stethoscope or screwdriver tip all along the valve covers and the front of the timing cover. You can check around the injectors and exhaust manifolds too.

Once you do pin point the noise, you can provide that information to the dealer so they fix the right part.

I suppose a lifter could be bad or it could be a bad rocker arm. It's possible that a bolt is loose that fastens the rocker arms.

If something is indeed loose, get it fixed now before severe damage occurs.

·
Premium Member
6,488 Posts
Mobil 1 5w20 seems to work well for those with the tick. I've run Mobil 1 5w20 for virtually all of the 38k miles on mine and have no tick. I'm currently running Royal Purple 5w20 and have 3000 miles on the oil, still nice and quiet. Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 wasn't so quiet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 2011 392 is in the shop for exactly this. Same noise they changed all my lifters and is still in shop because it did not solve the problem. They are talking with Chrysler for solutions.

·
Super Moderator
17,340 Posts
Also refer the shop to Star Case #S1309000013 (from 4/11/2013) - Ticking Noise from Upper End of Engine (specific to the Hemi V8s)

its a procedure to trim the tabs on the rocker shaft retainers - if this doesn't resolve the ticking noise, then lifters are replaced...

This Star Case doesn't involve very invasive procedure (no heads removed) - each retainer is removed one at a time, trim the tabs, reinstall and do this for all 20 of them on the V8.

Reactions: jc_109
1 - 20 of 48 Posts