Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Digging back through older engine cover threads I saw some discussion of members having success with non high temp engine paints while painting their engine covers. I'm curious how those paints have held up after over time to the engine bay? I'm thinking I'll paint my engine cover this spring but would like to use spray paints other than high temp to have more of a selection of metallic reds, blacks and silvers to work with.

Thanks
Jay

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
That is a good question. I don't know if I ever heard of anyone answering that question that had painted with that type of paint and seeing how it held up over time.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
Digging back through older engine cover threads I saw some discussion of members having success with non high temp engine paints while painting their engine covers. I'm curious how those paints have held up after over time to the engine bay? I'm thinking I'll paint my engine cover this spring but would like to use spray paints other than high temp to have more of a selection of metallic reds, blacks and silvers to work with.

Thanks
Jay
I would think that since they are plastic and have foam on them, the paint sould be fine. I know there are high temp plastics but I wouldn't think that foam could take much and it seems to do fine.

·
Banned
946 Posts
I can help answer your question. This isn't on my Challenger, but on my Ram. I painted the engine cover on my Ram using mopar (spray can) paint that matched the truck color. I just prepped it like anything else I would paint. I sanded, cleaned, primer, paint. The truck is a 2011 (bought oct 2010) and the paint has lasted with no issues.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I would think that since they are plastic and have foam on them, the paint sould be fine. I know there are high temp plastics but I wouldn't think that foam could take much and it seems to do fine.
Yeah right now that's my impression I just wanted to make sure I wasn't making a mistake. I'm thinking of giving the cover a layer of etched primer, adhesion promoter, a silver base coat and then spraying metallics on top of the silver.

Thanks
Jay

Thanks JS1977 glad to see I could go with other metallic paints.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I have painted the strut tower covers, fuse box cover, cap for the washer fluid, and air filter box cover with plain old primer and rattle can paint which has held up absolutely fine.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yeah I'd been there but he's calling for high temp engine paint "Duplicolor Hemi Orange Engine Enamel "which is where I'll probably deviate since I'd like to go with a red metal flake. Instead of Orange I'd paint a shade of silver and then go over that with a metal flake red. For the Red I might use Duplicolor metal specks red or I might try Tamiya TS metal flake red paint. Either way I've got to wait for warmer weather but figured I'd investigate it while I'm waiting for spring to roll around.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
123 Posts
I went with a red as well. One thing I found kind of interesting, was he used engine paint on the cover, except for the top center piece which he just used black acrylic enamel.

Yeah I'd been there but he's calling for high temp engine paint "Duplicolor Hemi Orange Engine Enamel "which is where I'll probably deviate since I'd like to go with a red metal flake. Instead of Orange I'd paint a shade of silver and then go over that with a metal flake red. For the Red I might use Duplicolor metal specks red or I might try Tamiya TS metal flake red paint. Either way I've got to wait for warmer weather but figured I'd investigate it while I'm waiting for spring to roll around.

Take it easy
Jay

Attachments

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'd not picked up on the fact he'd not used a high temp paint for the center portion. I like your engine cover, I'm still thinking about my color options. I know I'd like to have a little bit of the black and red strobe to it so I'm thinking of painting the "valve covers" and taller "ridges" red and then the rest would be black. For the center potion I'm pondering Rajunz velocity stack mod but instead of having 8 I'd go with 6 stacks kind of as a nod to the 340 6 pack.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
123 Posts
Instead of masking off, you may want to consider the adhesive strips sold by reflective concepts. Good quality and good price and they offer may different colors. All of the things silver things on my cover are from there.

·
Registered
123 Posts
As I have mentioned to you before, I love the look of your car and if mine was not black, I would so the same thing with my hood. I am curious if you ever thought about going with an original looking AAR quarter panel sticker?

I'd not picked up on the fact he'd not used a high temp paint for the center portion. I like your engine cover, I'm still thinking about my color options. I know I'd like to have a little bit of the black and red strobe to it so I'm thinking of painting the "valve covers" and taller "ridges" red and then the rest would be black. For the center potion I'm pondering Rajunz velocity stack mod but instead of having 8 I'd go with 6 stacks kind of as a nod to the 340 6 pack.

Take it easy
Jay

Attachments

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yeah I've pondered the stripe overlay even if I'd end up painting the red on them to get it to match the engine cover. My worry is getting the stripe to match the other portion of the engine cover having two different shades of red probably wouldn't look as nice. I'd probably go with the chrome 5.7 V8 insert for the central part of the cover.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
As I have mentioned to you before, I love the look of your car and if mine was not black, I would so the same thing with my hood. I am curious if you ever thought about going with an original looking AAR quarter panel sticker?
I have and it might be something I do later on I pm'd phoenix graphics about the availability of just the shield portion of the AAR and wanted to check on the size of the shield height and width and they let me know I could buy the Cuda shield portion and cut off the Cuda part. It's something I'm thinking about. I'd want to know the size of the shield so I could get a feel for how it would match up with the current stripes before trying it out. Right now I had R/T AAR added inside the strobe so I'd have to redo a portion of the back strobe if I do opt to add the shield.

Thanks
Jay

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I water sanded mine with 600 grit, used an adhesion promoter, then Testors model car paint. Holds up fine to the heat, and many custom colors available. You can get the adhesion promoter at Auto Zone, and any hobby shop or Michael's for the Testors.

The trick is to cure the paint. While I was painting it, I drove my car without the cover. When I would get home, I would open the hood and put the cover in place and lower the hood. You could smell the paint off gassing. Did this for a few days until the smell went away.

The center and shock covers are done in a silver pearl.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info Rajunz I kept looking on Google for someone that had used "model" paint on their car project when I was debating Tamiya paints so I'm relieved to hear Testors has been used successfully.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have been doing research for a while now & there is so much out there that I end up walking away from the idea b/c of all the options, suggestions etc. I have priced the Billet Technology Under Hood Engine Kit. I want to do Plum Crazy but don't want to spend $200 on this kit. I would like to paint myself to get a better color match. So here is my question. All engine parts are plastic that I want to paint except for a few metal caps. From all my reading it suggests high temp, engine paint. However, looking at this thread, can I really get away with the Mopar Spray to match my car? And, are the steps from "speedysgarage" the best you all have found? I can see sanding my engine cover, but sanding all the little engine caps will be hard. The dip stick is almost impossible. Any ideas you have...THROW them at me!! Thanks Guys

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is from a different forum but the results look like they were pretty nice and I think what they are describing pretty much is matching Rajunz approach.

http://www.*********************/showthread.php?t=47599&page=2

"I reapplied the Adhesion Promoter and applied several coats of blue DupliColor MetalSpecks paint, sanding lightly between coats. This way the color is in the base coat, not the top coat as with the MetalCast system.
I followed the MetalSpecks paint with numerous coats of DupliColor ClearCoat - again, sanding between coats.
I can't tell you how much better this looks to me."

For the plastic pieces I'm fairly convinced that a light sanding to give the paint some added grit to bond to would be required. From what I've read I'd give the mopar spray paint a try so far rattle can wise it looks like Duplicolor Metal Specks and Testors spray paints have been used with good results.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
You don't need high temp paint for any of these parts, that's only really needed for the block or exhaust manifolds. Sanding them and adhesion promoter will do the trick. Lowes or Home Depot also sells liquid sandpaper that will help rough up the parts. Here's the best place to buy matching paints.

Good luck,
-Lance

https://touchupdirect.com/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts