Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have a 2015 Challenger RT Plus with the 8.4 inch touch screen, when I have the air conditioner on high and I press the re-circulation button nothing happens, the air doesn't blow out any faster and I don't think the air gets any colder. I know the re-circulation mode is supposed to close the air door to just recirculate the interior air, I had a 2010 challenger and when i used the re-circulation mode the air would blowout faster and feel colder. The car only has 9000 miles, all filters are like new, I have only owned it for about 6 months, so I don't know if it ever worked or not I just started using the air conditioner. If anyone could shed some light on this I would much appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
My experience with using re-circulation mode with any of my cars is very very little. While I have used the A/C in my new Hellcat a few times recently I have never tried using re-circulation mode.

So all I can offer is try re-circulation mode with the A/C set to operate at something less than high.

If possible arrange to check the air flow coming in from the outside before and then after you select re-circulation mode. My thinking is it may be working but it may not manifest the same behavior as your 2010 car.

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
I'm not an expert on the subject, but this is how I understand it...

If you get in your car and the inside temperature is much higher than outside, don't use re-circulation mode until the interior cools down some. Once the interior is cool, re-circulation mode will be more efficient. It's re-circulating air that it has already cooled. So the "new" air in the car will be cooler than the outside temperature. I hope this makes sense. :nerd: I don't always have a way with words.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I do appreciate the answers. So I guess what I would like to know is, do you guys experience the air blowing out faster when you turn the re-circulation mode on or does it stay the same speed? I was under the assumption it speeds up, maybe in the 2015s they don't, if others have the experience as me, I will assume everything is ok with my system. Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,773 Posts
I've usually got the stereo up, and windows open...but I believe you do either get more speed, or more sound, when you turn it on

A Guy

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Really don't know with my car as I do not think I've ever used re-circulation mode. I'm driving the car to work today so I'll try to remember to experiment with the A/C controls and report back.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Ok, with my Hellcat I had a chance to use re-circulation mode today. In auto mode (with the auto LED lit) and with the A/C on (A/C button LED lit) or the A/C off (A/C button LED dark) and turning on re-circulation mode (and its button LED lighting up) there was no change in the A/C cabin vent fan speed, air flow, or the short time I had it engaged no change in air temperature. Without the re-circulation button LED on I would not have been able to tell you re-circulation mode was active or not active.

·
Registered
486 Posts
In my 2011 R/T Charger, I know for a fact that the blower speed never changed in the recirc mode.
As far as my '15 Challenger, I'm not 100% sure I've pressed the recirc button yet. But if I did, there was no change in blower speed.:nerd:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, I just wonder what the re-circuation mode even does, the speed doesn't change, the temperature doesn't change. I know the little motor that opens and closes the air door to let the outside air in tends to break on the chargers and challengers, it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of us are driving around with broken re-circulation mode's especially since when you change modes you can't tell the difference one from to the other. My wife has 2011, charger with the 8.4 inch screen same as mine and when I put on the re-circulation mode you can definitely hear a difference in the way the air enters the cabin, like the outside air was shut off and the inside air is being circulated at a higher velocity. thanks again, I hope to figure this out.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,773 Posts
It just shuts off the outside air, and recirculates the air from the cabin. I imagine if it was blistering hot outside, recirculating the already air conditioned cabin air would have an advantage. A Guy

·
Registered
999 Posts
When I’m approaching a diesel truck at a stoplight, I’ll put the recirc switch on. Seems to help keep the smelly exhaust from getting in the cabin. I’ll also switch it on when I see dust up ahead from construction or farm activity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
When I’m approaching a diesel truck at a stoplight, I’ll put the recirc switch on. Seems to help keep the smelly exhaust from getting in the cabin. I’ll also switch it on when I see dust up ahead from construction or farm activity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What he said and I'll add when I approach a dead skunk on the road... :)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Just another thought as far as fan speed changes in Recirc for some and not others. It may make a difference when in Automatic vs manual modes.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Thanks everyone, I just wonder what the re-circuation mode even does, the speed doesn't change, the temperature doesn't change. I know the little motor that opens and closes the air door to let the outside air in tends to break on the chargers and challengers, it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of us are driving around with broken re-circulation mode's especially since when you change modes you can't tell the difference one from to the other. My wife has 2011, charger with the 8.4 inch screen same as mine and when I put on the re-circulation mode you can definitely hear a difference in the way the air enters the cabin, like the outside air was shut off and the inside air is being circulated at a higher velocity. thanks again, I hope to figure this out.
Hi Mike - I live in south Florida and I always have to use recirc - on every car I've ever driven! My experience is the airflow sounds louder and seems to increase velocity, I expect from reduced drag compared to pulling in outside air. Since I have always used recirc in the Challenger I don't have a comparison for you yet. We're having a monsoon here right now so we'll have to wait until tomorrow. I'll be back to report on results with and without.

·
Registered
48 Posts
What he said^^^^^^^^

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Hi Mike - I live in south Florida and I always have to use recirc - on every car I've ever driven! My experience is the airflow sounds louder and seems to increase velocity, I expect from reduced drag compared to pulling in outside air. Since I have always used recirc in the Challenger I don't have a comparison for you yet. We're having a monsoon here right now so we'll have to wait until tomorrow. I'll be back to report on results with and without.
OK, Mike - I have the results. Unlike my other cars, the airflow and sound does not seem to change from normal to recirc to max A/C. I know the recirc mode is working properly because when I drive past the landfill, I can't smell it, and I know for a fact that it stinks! Your next test could be driving past something you know stinks (e.g. Elizabethtown, NJ) in recirc mode.
Best of luck,

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,773 Posts
OK, my result today was different. Not AC, but just vent. Press recirculation and immediately the sound changes and increases. It is hard to tell if actual flow increases, but there does seem to be a change in velocity, although it may be because of the increased noise. 100% increased, different sound. Possible increased velocity. Although this is just called recirculation, not Max AC like I have had on previous cars, which was likely recirculation, but definitely had more output. A Guy

·
Registered
486 Posts
OK, my result today was different. Not AC, but just vent. Press recirculation and immediately the sound changes and increases. It is hard to tell if actual flow increases, but there does seem to be a change in velocity, although it may be because of the increased noise. 100% increased, different sound. Possible increased velocity. Although this is just called recirculation, not Max AC like I have had on previous cars, which was likely recirculation, but definitely had more output. A Guy
You have a selection for just VENT?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,773 Posts
Maybe badly worded. Not AC, just air, and only from the vents, like this

A Guy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all your information, my car does the same thing, I think my re-circulation works fine, it is just different then the Chargers and the 2010 Challengers. Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts