Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new right side caliper for The Bacon Hauler, so I checked around on local parts houses’ websites to see what‘s available. O’Reilly Auto has one in stock, so I checked to see if they have a left side one as well (might as well do both while I’m getting dirty, right?). They do have one, so I can get both locally, hooray!

And then I noticed the core charges for each caliper is different...by a lot!

Huh???

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
838 Posts
I’ve seen crazy stuff like that more than once when I worked retail sales at an S&S Tire in Lexington, KY a few years ago. Not sure if the failure rate is higher in frequency of the one with the more expensive core charge or what.

On a side note......may as well go ahead and replace both brake hoses, too.

What chain of events led you to determine you needed a new brake caliper?

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve seen crazy stuff like that more than once when I worked retail sales at an S&S Tire in Lexington, KY a few years ago. Not sure if the failure rate is higher in frequency of the one with the more expensive core charge or what.

On a side note......may as well go ahead and replace both brake hoses, too.

What chain of events led you to determine you needed a new brake caliper?
pretty common scenario really, I waited until these 3 big rigs all got lined up ahead of me on this straight stretch of road and then put my blinker on and executed a perfect passing maneuver.

Since I was already at 120 by the time I got by the last one, I went ahead and kept on it while transitioning back into the right lane (with blinker blinking of course). I was almost to 135 when I saw a white SUV with a grill guard crest the hill ahead. Naturally I shat myself, but after that I jammed on the brakes to try to lessen the fine (and possibly stay out of jail) in case his radar hadn’t locked on yet.

It was in the application of my brakes that I get the unwelcome vibration of out-of-round front rotors. So I ended up buying new rotors and pads to put on once I made it back to Dallas.

I just now got around to doing that today, but upon pulling the tire and whee off the right side, I found the caliper had a torn boot. So o buttoned it back up and will do all that again after I’ve got the calipers to install as well.

Good idea on the brake lines, I haven’t done those on the front yet, I hope they are easier than the back ones though!

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
838 Posts
Assuming the brake hoses are OE.....it sure won’t hurt. Occasionally brake hoses can deteriorate from the inside out, and collapse, causing brake issues similar to a sticking caliper.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,817 Posts
I'm used to seeing core charges of over $500 for TV PCBs that cost less than $200. It's their way of saying we need cores to rebuild so we have this item to sell. You will return this or it will cost you. Possible in your case one side is either more in demand, or less available.

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Assuming the brake hoses are OE.....it sure won’t hurt. Occasionally brake hoses can deteriorate from the inside out, and collapse, causing brake issues similar to a sticking caliper.
Yeah, that’s what I thought was causing the squeal in my left rear brakes, but after replacing the hose back there, it’s still squealing, so I think the piston is sticking on it.

im gonna be a caliper replacing fool by the time I get done!

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm used to seeing core charges of over $500 for TV PCBs that cost less than $200. It's their way of saying we need cores to rebuild so we have this item to sell. You will return this or it will cost you. Possible in your case one side is either more in demand, or less available.

A Guy
hey speaking of brake hoses, weren’t you supposed to do my left rear one for me that time. I ended up having to do it, so I want my money back!

·
Registered
163 Posts

A Guy
Bingo, they have an imbalance of left and right and charge accordingly. The sale price is the same because the cost to remain them is the same.

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,356 Posts
I need a new right side caliper for The Bacon Hauler, so I checked around on local parts houses’ websites to see what‘s available. O’Reilly Auto has one in stock, so I checked to see if they have a left side one as well (might as well do both while I’m getting dirty, right?). They do have one, so I can get both locally, hooray!

And then I noticed the core charges for each caliper is different...by a lot!

View attachment 986759

View attachment 986760

Huh???
What difference does it make. You will get your money back. Now ask me what the core charge is for the 5.7 heads...

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,817 Posts
hey speaking of brake hoses, weren’t you supposed to do my left rear one for me that time. I ended up having to do it, so I want my money back!
I gave it to Mrs. Nuke? She said "I'll take care of this for him"...she seemed sincere...

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What difference does it make. You will get your money back. Now ask me what the core charge is for the 5.7 heads...
What the code charge for the left and right cylinder heads on a 5.7L Hemi?

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I gave it to Mrs. Nuke? She said "I'll take care of this for him"...she seemed sincere...

A Guy
hmmm, she probably heard you say “hose” and thought you meant “hoes” and figured she was keeping me from straying by accepting the hand-off but shirking the task

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pursuit

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They have the dual piston calipers, which these are. The real difference between the pursuit and base R/T is probably just the size of the rotor and pad composition honestly

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
What the code charge for the left and right cylinder heads on a 5.7L Hemi?
It depends on whether it's zip or area...

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It depends on whether it's zip or area...
<sigh>

I'm elbow deep in my car's brake system right now, and I'm getting rained on while I'm doing it. I've neither the patience nor the desire to dance this dance. Get with the rest of the team and come on in for the big win, why don't you?!?!

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
<sigh>

I'm elbow deep in my car's brake system right now, and I'm getting rained on while I'm doing it. I've neither the patience nor the desire to dance this dance. Get with the rest of the team and come on in for the big win, why don't you?!?!
You are welcome to borrow my pop-up to put over your car while you work on it.

I do believe you spend more fixing your ride than I do modding mine. You're fixing your brakes, I'm attempting to get a properly machined custom cam so I can complete my latest mod, and because of that we are going in opposite directions. You want to stop, and I want 800 hp at the wheels. BTW, the core charge for each head is $1K.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,817 Posts

A Guy

1 - 20 of 44 Posts