Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 09 R/T, has 51K miles. It is stored inside. I am wondering how long a battery will last under normal usage. I haven't had any problems, but I know that heat is the biggest killer of batteries. I am wondering what problems people have had when their battery goes out. Does it just go dead? Starts one time and then is dead the next time? Do you get any early warnings?? Should I be considering changing mine before I have problems? Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Find a local shop that can test the strength of it and pull it and have it tested. I'll bet it's about ready to be replaced. Someone just 2 days ago had an 09 that the battery died in.

Edit, sorry the gauges begin to act weird and chimes begin to go off for no reason, unable to start is the killer.

·
Premium Member
3,051 Posts
Actually the biggest killer of batteries is letting them become discharged even moderately which happens if the car sets for weeks at a time. I often get 8 years out of battery or more but I never let vehicle batteries deep cycle - ever.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all who issued an opinion. I will get the local repair shop to do a load test on my battery. That should let me know what condition it is in. Thanks again.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Thanks to all who issued an opinion. I will get the local repair shop to do a load test on my battery. That should let me know what condition it is in. Thanks again.

If it were me, I would replace it, and not care what the "load test" said. Most batteries don't go much beyond five years, some die earlier. Since your car is a 09, you are pushing the "end of life" cycle. I would rather replace it on the early side than to get stranded someplace. My two cents.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Not to pile on but the newer the vehicle is the more electronics draw on them there are. Anymore I simply replace batteries in all of my cars at 4 years now. I had two just fail to start other vehicles at just over 4 years. I have been told by many reliable sources that over 4 years old a battery can just die. Severe cold, heat, sitting unused for over a month, and heavy draw kills batteries.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts