Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So after driving around more:

Once I get off the interstate into stop and go traffic the coolant temp will slowly increase. So far I’ve seen increase to 226 (which is still the halfway mark). But when this occurred the first time it went above 226 I assume because the gauge was above the halfway mark.After disclosing some of the problems with the dealership I bought I from, out of good faith they are going to allow me to bring it in and they will take a look at it for free.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,750 Posts
FWIW at 226 the high speed fan mode should kick in. On 5.7s the resistor is bypassed and the single fan motor gets full voltage. On 6.4 the fans operate in parallel mode so both get full voltage.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
So after driving around more:

Once I get off the interstate into stop and go traffic the coolant temp will slowly increase. So far I’ve seen increase to 226 (which is still the halfway mark). But when this occurred the first time it went above 226 I assume because the gauge was above the halfway mark.After disclosing some of the problems with the dealership I bought I from, out of good faith they are going to allow me to bring it in and they will take a look at it for free.
If you do not have a digital temperature display if you are trying to derive temperature from the analog gauge, that is fraught with peril. The analog gauge is dampened and based on my experience over the years with various cars only suitable to know if the engine is cold, warm or hot -- up to temperature hot. An over temperature condition is really signaled by one (or more) warning lights.

Below is a section on this copied from my Hellcat owners manual. What is not shown is the graphic that lights up. If your car is equipped with something similar you'll have to consult with your car's owners manual and read the section on engine coolant temperature.
------------------------------------

Engine Coolant Temperature Warning Light

This light warns of an overheated engine condition. If the engine coolant temperature is too high, this indicator will illuminate and a single chime will sound. If the tempera- ture reaches the upper limit, a continuous chime will sound for four minutes or until the engine is able to cool: whichever comes first.

If the light turns on while driving, safely pull over and stop the vehicle. If the A/C system is on, turn it off. Also, shift the transmission into NEUTRAL and idle the vehicle. If the temperature reading does not return to normal, turn the engine off immediately and call for service.

Refer to “If Your Engine Overheats” in “In Case Of Emergency” for further information.
------------------------------------

I may have mentioned this but the first time I encountered high (116F) ambient temperature and the coolant gauge needle swung to the right quite a bit and I had an OBD2 code reader/data reader connected to the car's OBD2 port and observed the coolant temperature reach 226F (but didn't go higher) after I returned home and with no signs of any cooling system or engine issues what so ever I ran the details past the service manager. He passed these on to the factory for its comment. The reply was basically no warning light no problem.

The analog gauge is pretty dampened when the coolant temperature is in the "normal" operating range. But at some point above this and 226F is 10F above the temperature the radiator fans (there were two with this car) are switched to high speed the gauge becomes more animated. That this happened is what had me a bit worried. But that I could observe the digital coolant temperature and could see that while high it was not going any higher provided some comfort.

Really for peace of mind it is a good idea to take the car in and have it checked. While so far I have not read anything that I think is a sign of trouble, I'm not 1) familiar with your car; 2) not a Dodge tech. So better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,750 Posts
If you don't want to take it to a pay a dealership check your car then you can use the money saved to get a scan tool so you can log ECT temp directly and check for yourself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did the radiator fan go to HIGH?
YOU should be able to hear it.
If you haven't go to the car wash and clean straight through the condenser and radiator.
Do NOT SPRAY HIGH PRESSURE AT A ANGLE IT CAN BEND THE FINS OVER.

Do your temperature gauges ever rise above halfway? Today, being a significantly hotter day than usual (110 degrees), rose above the halfway mark and was stuttering. It never rose enough to where it warned me, and it only rose when I was stopping and going.

I know this could be a faulty fan or temp sensor, but I’m wondering if this is a normality when it is significantly hot as it was today.

I appreciate everyone’s help!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Mine does not flicker when hot....its just below the halfway hash mark as always since day one. Find the temp sensor and have someone inside watch the analog gauge and you wiggle the lead.....might be time for a new one because the harness is faulty in his weather conditions due to lead expansion.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Mine does not flicker when hot....its just below the halfway hash mark as always since day one. Find the temp sensor and have someone inside watch the analog gauge and you wiggle the lead.....might be time for a new one because the harness is faulty in his weather conditions due to lead expansion.
The "flicker" I think the OP is referring to -- and what I have observed -- is with some cars while there is the old fashioned analog temperature gauge -- even my 2018 Hellcat has this -- one can cause a coolant temperature gauge to be displayed between the tach and speedo. This gauge is "graphical" in that it is rendered by LCD display elements and has a guage face with an animated needle. The temperature is provided by this "gauge" but also digitally.

What can happen is if the coolant temperature is right at the threshold of the next highest (or lowest) temperature the display can "flicker" between say 201F and 202F. Besides the numbers changing from one reading to the other sometimes quite rapidly the animated needle "flickers" by changing its position slightly to reflect the change in temperature.

It is not a loose wire/connection.

In the case of a loose wire/connection, the reading -- if not dampened -- would be very high. With no connection the voltage signal is pulled high and this results in a maximum temperature. Believe it or not I had a car that I data logged among other things coolant temperature and every once in a while -- when on a rough road and making a sharp turn -- the temperature gauge would lose connection momentarily and the reading would be max'd out. But the analog temperature gauge in the dash never registered this spike nor did I ever see a spike in temperature when looking this via an OBD2 too. The engine controller dampened the reading.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts