Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have learned that when switching from normal to bright lights there is actually a moving part in the headlights. Question is, has anyone else noticed it being fairly loud switching between the two. Had the engine shut off and had accessories on. Turned the bright lights off and hear a pretty good clunking noise. Anyone else? Or should I have it looked at? Thanks.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Could it be the relays? I don't own a 15, so maybe I should let someone who does have one weigh in, but I'm not aware of any moving parts in the headlights.

·
Premium Member
2,934 Posts
Do you know what kind of lights you have? HID's, halogens, or something else?

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
If you hear a "clunk" switching from Low Beam to High Beam and you know you have HID's that would
be the solenoid actuated cut off shields inside the projector module moving. Halogen lights don't make any
noise because there is no mechanical means to increase the beam just numerous filaments. HID's run at
a constant luminous output and you just move a cutoff shield.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you hear a "clunk" switching from Low Beam to High Beam and you know you have HID's that would
be the solenoid actuated cut off shields inside the projector module moving. Halogen lights don't make any
noise because there is no mechanical means to increase the beam just numerous filaments. HID's run at
a constant luminous output and you just move a cutoff shield.

Sounds like what I'm hearing is normal than...

I guess they are HID's. 2015 R/T plus.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Sounds like what I'm hearing is normal than...

I guess they are HID's. 2015 R/T plus.
Yep sounds like HID's to me! :)

Here is a video I did when I retrofit HID's into my friends 100th Anniversary. Skip to the 4:00 mark
and you can hear them switch between high/low and flash to pass.

·
Registered
16,099 Posts
Haha cool video, I've got the same clunking, 2016 SRT, so now I know what that noise was!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Reactions: Toxic11

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Mystery solved! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
My new 2021 SXT makes the noise and the noise stays on until you shut off the high beams....doesnt seem normal but I could be wrong...

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
My new 2021 SXT makes the noise and the noise stays on until you shut off the high beams....doesnt seem normal but I could be wrong...
Hi jgadrums,
We certainly understand why this may be concerning. We kindly recommend having your dealer inspect this concern for you as they are in the best position to assist. If you do work with your dealer, we would be more than happy to provide you with additional support via private messages.

Rob
Dodge Cares

1 - 14 of 14 Posts