Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of (1) taking off the goat head and (2) replacing the plastic grille with something else.

I've read the recent post about the T-Rex mesh grille and have done some other searching...my question is, is there a difference between a "grille" and "grille insert"? I imagine that I'd want to take the old grille out and replace it, I think an insert would go over the top but I'm not sure.

Has anyone taken their old grille off? If so, how difficult was it? Is this something I can do in my garage?

As for the nose badges, I know Billet makes some nice ones but I've also seen posts for resin badges by ReBadge or someone named Nate. Do they (or he) have a website? Contact information?

Thanks for any info.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
You can't remove just the grille and replace it with the T-Rex (or any other) grille. The stock grille is one large piece, that includes the headlight bezels.. It's end to end.

You can remove it from the facia, but unless you have a total replacement piece for all of the black plastic insert, from headlight to headlilght, your stuck. I am not aware of any aftermarket total replacement piece.

Mike

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, thanks for the info. If you use one of these inserts then, can you see the original plastic grille behind it?

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have the mesh grill insert and can only see the stock grill up close. If you would like pictures, close ups, etc. let me know and i'll snap some if it'll help.
Just let me know what you are 'looking for'.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm thinking of (1) taking off the goat head and (2) replacing the plastic grille with something else.

I've read the recent post about the T-Rex mesh grille and have done some other searching...my question is, is there a difference between a "grille" and "grille insert"? I imagine that I'd want to take the old grille out and replace it, I think an insert would go over the top but I'm not sure.

Has anyone taken their old grille off? If so, how difficult was it? Is this something I can do in my garage?

As for the nose badges, I know Billet makes some nice ones but I've also seen posts for resin badges by ReBadge or someone named Nate. Do they (or he) have a website? Contact information?

Thanks for any info.
Sent you a PM for Rebadge.
I would do the grille overlay it's a big undertaking to get that grille out.
I have a B.T. badge.
I have scat pack bees by Rebadge they are nice but don't think the resin would be the answer for the nose badge.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BrUiRcNeR, your car looks good with the grille. If you don't mind, I'd love some straight-on close up pictures.

Also, how does the grille attach? How long did it take to install them?

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I installed the grille overlay as well. Don't notice the black behind it unless up close. I'll tell you from my perspective, difficulty of install...not hard from a technical perspective, but a royal PITA having to get your arm between the radiator and the grill. Opening is not that large, and I scraped up my arms fairly well. At the end, worth it though. I installed upper and lower. They have studs that reach through the grill and have speed nuts on the backside. Think I had six in the upper grill and three in the lower grill.

Easy enough, but I did leave some flesh on the car. Which didn't bother me in the end, because we all must be one with the Challenger... Leaving a little DNA is part of the game.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Heres a pic of mine installed

Attachments

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ha! That's some funny stuff...and very true. Thanks for the info and the pic.

One more question. I see that you didn't reinstall the Challenger badge - is there a reason why? I'd like to put mine back on, is it held on by tape?

·
Registered
558 Posts
My grill inserts were installed before i went to look at the car, so i'm no help on 'install tips' nor on 'actual' pricing.
Closeups attached, phone camera so pics are 'okay'.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Ha! That's some funny stuff...and very true. Thanks for the info and the pic.

One more question. I see that you didn't reinstall the Challenger badge - is there a reason why? I'd like to put mine back on, is it held on by tape?
I just chose not to reinstall the challenger badge. The stock badge is not held on by tape, it clips into the grille. You can trim the clips off though and put it on with tape.

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts