Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not a new member;

I've been on board for a month or so. Actually I had no idea I'd be driving a Challenger quite this soon. Two days ago, I got up in the morning and headed for the computer to read this forum and dream some more. Then it happened.

Something came over me.

I just decided that I was done dreaming. I was done making excuses. I was done wishing. It was time. I'd found a deal on this car with 16k miles on it for 36k, just 30 miles from here. I couldn't refuse. I've spent countless hours researching this forum and learning as much as I could about this amazing car. I decided what features I wanted, like mega power, serious brakes, an automatic, and ventilated seats.

I thought about saving some bucks and buying an RT.

But I knew I'd long for more power soon enough. I thought about the Scat Pack, but decided that it just didn't have all that I wanted. I decided not to go the cheap route and then have to wish later on that I'd spent the extra money and gotten what I wanted in the first place. Seems like I've done that all my life. I'm not rich, so the 36k I just donated for the joy of holding the keys to an SRT was painful. It's by far the most money I've ever spent on a car in my life. I could buy 4 nice used cars or even two used Challengers for that much money. It was a struggle, and it will be a while before I get it paid for, but this car has finally, once and for all, ENDED my dreaming. As I said on this forum before:

All my life I've dreamed of owning a muscle car.

It started with my 67 Camaro in high school. In 1972, I dropped a 427 into that tiny engine bay. It lasted about 3 days before I found water in the oil, and with my limited budget, I had to get rid of the motor and put my lowly 327 2 barrel back in. But not before I took it out into the school parking lot during 5th period do see if it could do a burn out. Wow, did it ever, though it was just spinning ONE rear wheel as I couldn't afford a descent rear end... and with no mufflers on my headers, I guess I forgot that perhaps 120 kids in A wing saw and heard me do it. It was a real blast trying to explain that one during 6th period when they called me down to the office. So that was it. I had a muscle car for less than a week, and that was 45 years ago. I've always loved them, and always enjoyed being around them. I've been to a zillion car shows.
But finally, after all these years, I now can say that I actually own a 2015 SRT 392 Challenger A8. What a car. What a stereo. What an engine!!! What a deal!!

I'm finding myself with 3 dilemmas.

How do I get the self discipline to NOT stomp on that gas pedal? What a rush it is. And how do I ever get to listen to that amazing 900 watt, 18 speaker Harmon Kardon stereo... when I'd rather listen to the amazing symphony coming from that engine? There's nothing out there that sounds like a HEMI. It's like a drug. Decisions, decisions. And how am I ever supposed to get anything done when just about every time I get out of the car, SOMEBODY wants to ask me about it? I had no idea these things were so popular.

I lucked out. With such low miles and such a low price, I was worried that something was wrong. But imagine my surprise when I found out that it was as near perfect as a used car could ever be. Even the factory tires still look great. Somebody took serious good care of this car. And now, thanks to so much that I learned form this forum, and a little bit of good fortune, it's mine. ALL MINE:grin2:
Gary

·
Registered
18 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on your new ride! I'm confused why you haven't posted any pictures for us all to enjoy though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,021 Posts
Congratulations, you didn't ask how you deal with the desire to do mods >:)

A Guy

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Pictures? Color? Here ya go:
The color appears to be white. But to my surprise this is a beautiful pearl. I can't find so much as a single rock chip on the front of this 16k mile beauty. I'd like to know how ANYBODY can pull that off. But I'm sure happy about it.

Most of you can say AMEN to this view: the only view that the competition gets to see...

This ventilated seat is to die for. No more Florida swamp butt for me. Notice the two stereo buttons just to the right of the steering wheel: the first is the red one and activates the HEMI symphony. Classical music from the dual speakers located just under the rear bumper. The next is the on/off button of the Harmon Kardon. Who in their right mind would put 18 speakers in one car? The only other muscle car I ever owned had (drum roll please) ONE speaker. I'm in heaven.

A note about that "only other muscle car:" My 67 Camaro received it's 427 transplant in the spring of 73. It's anemic 150 horse 327 was replaced by one very potent big block. However, I found water in the oil 3 days later and promptly gave it back to its former owner. I sold the car a short while later with its original engine intact. So I've had exactly 3 days experience owning a muscle car in my life. Let the fun begin.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congratulations, you didn't ask how you deal with the desire to do mods >:)

A Guy
Ha... good one. I've read a good deal on this forum about the mods many of you have performed. At the moment, the only one that appeals to me is the catch can. But there seems to be a lot of debate on the subject so I'm undecided.

But so many of the mods that forum members make... are already a part of this car. Better stereo? Is that even possible? SRT cam swap? Already have one. Spruce up the interior? Already have those amazing two tone seats: what's to spruce? I know: the perfect mod... I think I'll pick out a nice air freshener. Ha !!!

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Great story and great car. Make no mistake, there is no debate on the catch can and no downside to it.

I would also recommend a hellcat lower air box and hellcat air filter...and then possibly some stickier tires on the rear if you really want to go fast :)

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger RT
1,066 Posts
Beautiful car! Welcome

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,021 Posts
See, buncha enablers :) No mods...it could happen >:)

A Guy

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Great story and great car. Make no mistake, there is no debate on the catch can and no downside to it.

I would also recommend a hellcat lower air box and hellcat air filter...and then possibly some stickier tires on the rear if you really want to go fast :)
Eric,
Concerning the airbox, not sure I understand the need to do this. What I know: I understand that my air scoop, though functional, doesn't connect directly to the intake, but rather just dumps out into an open engine bay. I see that my air-box is closed off to the open engine bay. Assuming there's good reason for this, but what do I know? I think I've seen the helcat air-box, isn't it open to the engine bay? I assume that installing the helcat air-box has to do with a little more power. Now, anybody ever done this mod all by itself? How much power are we talking about, and is the power gained worth the money spent? This question is important for me since I'll never race the car: 10ths at the track don't matter to me. My mind isn't made up on either of these 2 potential mods, in part due to the fact that I'm still learning. I guess I'm more likely to try the catch-can because it seems to be something that will help the engine.

But I highly doubt I'll want to get stickier tires. For most owners, I get it: better traction, faster times etc. However, I'll be driving her pretty easy most of the time, and don't expect to be needing better traction. I'm not your usual SRT owner. I'm not one to speed much, have NO tickets on my license, and don't intend to get any either.

Gary

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
9,264 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new ride.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Grats on the new ride. I believe the T/A airbox should work on your SRT. Now if you can figure out "How do I get the self discipline to NOT stomp on that gas pedal?" please feel free to share.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Eric,
Concerning the airbox, not sure I understand the need to do this. What I know: I understand that my air scoop, though functional, doesn't connect directly to the intake, but rather just dumps out into an open engine bay. I see that my air-box is closed off to the open engine bay. Assuming there's good reason for this, but what do I know? I think I've seen the helcat air-box, isn't it open to the engine bay? I assume that installing the helcat air-box has to do with a little more power. Now, anybody ever dyne this mod all by itself? How much power are we talking about, and is the power gained worth the money spent? This question is important for me since I'll never race the car: 10ths at the track don't matter to me. My mind isn't made up on either of these 2 potential mods, in part due to the fact that I'm still learning. I guess I'm more likely to try the catch-can because it seems to be something that will help the engine.

But I highly doubt I'll want to get stickier tires. For most owners, I get it: better traction, faster times etc. However, I'll be driving her pretty easy most of the time, and don't expect to be needing better traction. I'm not your usual SRT owner. I'm not one to speed much, have NO tickets on my license, and don't intend to get any either.

Gary
Gary,
I should have stated I almost completely agree that these car's don't really need anything...they absolutely rock stock. As far as the air box, if you are just a cruiser than it's totally not necessary. It does help though with drawing in fresher air and helping the intake air temp sensor recover faster...which helps the car achieve max power.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The harmon kardon system, well as you know it rocks. I have found that if you just rev the car more and turn down the tunes a little, you can enjoy the sound of the exhaust AND the stereo!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The harmon kardon system, well as you know it rocks. I have found that if you just rev the car more and turn down the tunes a little, you can enjoy the sound of the exhaust AND the stereo!
Ha... great advice. Took 91 year old mother for a ride today. Drove it like EXTRA SLOW. It's actually a very pleasurable car to drive that slowly. It shifted through all the gears at less than 2k RPM and we were listening to the oldies on the radio. But, like ya said, ya gotta turn the radio down to hear the engine. I was paddle shifting through the gears at very light throttle, but running it up to 3500 RPM's. She seemed to enjoy it as long as I didn't get jerky or use more than maybe 20% throttle. Played a couple of her favorite tunes and we had a blast. So happy she could get in and out of the car. It has a nice grab handle above the passenger seat, which I never noticed. She loved it. Mom was born in 1925 and we enjoyed talking about the good old days when the world was such a VERY different place.

She grew up on a farm with 11 brothers and sisters in an Italian family just outside Boston. The depression and her strict "beat 'em first and ask questions later" parents made her childhood like a bad dream. Oh the stories she can tell. A big part of buying this car NOW rather than later (after I finished saving for it) was that she could enjoy this thing while she was still able to do so.

Did you know that a Challenger's trunk can swallow a full size wheelchair without removing the wheels? Ya do now. Just another reason I love this car.

Gary

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Just revisited this thread for fun. It's been almost a year since I bought the Challenger. You're not going to believe this, but in all this time, I've never revved the engine past 5k (typically shift it at 3500) and have never pushed the pedal down more than perhaps half way that i know of. As I said, I'm not your usual SRT owner. It indeed has more power than i'll ever need or use. What a machine.

It's still a thrill just to take it for a ride. I don't put a lot of miles on it (4k since I bought it) so it still feels new to me.

It still has no mods. I don't know that it ever will. A new set of Powerstop Z23 brake pads has seriously reduced all that nasty brake dust and will hopefully reduce rotor wear, but this is definitely not a "mod." But then that depends on your definition of a mod. Splash guards were a must thanks to my dumb dirt road. It now sports a UPR catch can, something that should have been put on at the factory. I would argue that neither of these items would qualify as a performance mod. Unless splash guards somehow make the car go faster?

It may gain a trailer hitch at some point to tow my little utility trailer around. Ha: it would look great towing my beautiful blue 2005 Yamaha FJR1300 around. If I ever get in the mood to go fast, that FJR flat our flies. But I don't think I'll be doing any performance mods on the Challenger as it just doesn't need 'em.

Lovin' this car.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Thanks for revisiting this. I just realized I never congratulated you. Congrats Gary and Welcome to the forum!
Before you visit our Lord you should probably introduce that gas pedal to the carpeting..... forcefully. If not, I have a strong feeling He is going to ask you haven't. I wouldn't know what to say. Give your Guardian Angel a thrill! Hahahaha! Really, you scouted out the lay of the land for a year now. Make the introduction......they may like each other. lol

Take good care!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts