Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_20180530_012917 (1).jpg

75 mph,,130am,,outta no where it came !!KA-BOOM !!! i didnt have a chance !! challi never flinched,,wiggled,,drove right through it,,big azz doe
ok tire pressures good,,water temp good,oil pressure good,, no weird noises,,still 25 miles from home,,lets see she got me home
roll backed to shop still waiting on damage report !! to mo looked like it was all cosmetic,,but still SUCKS only 18k miles on clock

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Damage looks strikingly familiar to what happened to my R/T. Mine was 65 MPH at 5:30 AM on the way to work. Ended up being all structural (except that my transmission cooling line broke so I had to be towed). New fender, inner fender, inner supports, radiator, A/C and entire new front facia. $7300 (and zero deductable) back to new.

These cars take a deer hit pretty good. A puny FWD car would have engine/trans knocked off of mounts, front suspension gone, maybe even up into the windshield.

I thumped a vulture one time, and the plastic nose absorbed all the impact (no damage at all).

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,516 Posts
I feel for you man, but 75mph and that's all the damage, could have been worse.

Apparently this Bimmer hit a small deer at 140mph.

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
I think if that was my Bimmer, I would just have to set the car on fire, I could never drive that car again.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Well, I guess we have established another fact about our cars. Tougher than deer.
Really glad you are alright!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Deer collision-proof-ness is something I've taken into account in selecting an automobile ever since I saw a mini-van with a low sloping hood, scoop one up and direct it through the windshield and into the back seat. When I helped my daughter buy a new car bout 10 years ago, we went with the Corolla over the Civic, because the Civic at that time had a very low pointed front that would collect the deer and direct it upwards, but the Corolla had a higher, flatter front fascia.

Our Challengers have the same sort of flat/level hood and high nose (and alot of shock absorbing plastic and metal) that keeps the deer damage localized and doesn't direct the carcass through the windshield.

Those hooved rats can leap, and you might still collect them on the windshield, but they have poor traction once on the pavement, so once they're running on the road, you're more likely to hit them squarely with the front-end. When they leap off of an embankment on to your hood, you're in for a face full of venison tartar, no matter what car you drive.

·
Super Moderator
13,849 Posts
Deer collision-proof-ness is something I've taken into account in selecting an automobile ever since I saw a mini-van with a low sloping hood, scoop one up and direct it through the windshield and into the back seat. When I helped my daughter buy a new car bout 10 years ago, we went with the Corolla over the Civic, because the Civic at that time had a very low pointed front that would collect the deer and direct it upwards, but the Corolla had a higher, flatter front fascia.Our Challengers have the same sort of flat/level hood and high nose (and alot of shock absorbing plastic and metal) that keeps the deer damage localized and doesn't direct the carcass through the windshield.Those hooved rats can leap, and you might still collect them on the windshield, but they have poor traction once on the pavement, so once they're running on the road, you're more likely to hit them squarely with the front-end.

I read that if you are about to hit a deer, don't brake. Hard braking causes the front end of your car to dip and this could propel the deer through your windshield. Remember that cars can be fixed and your life is more important.

·
Registered
2018 SRT 392
232 Posts
My 2016 Ram truck had 8,000 miles on the OD when I hit a 7 point buck traveling 70 MPH.Before and after pics.Never got in to the painted areas just bumper and front grill.Installed westin 2 inch grill guard after the fact..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Glad you are okay - everything else is just plastic, sheet metal, and paperwork.

Side note: a couple of years ago a coworker of mine had a deer crash through his driver's window while he was headed into work one morning. Busted him up pretty bad. Glad it was only your car that took a beating.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Ouch! I feel your pain. So glad you're okay. A good body shop will make it as if it never happened. I hit one last year at about 60mph, same thing, car never flinched, just cosmetic damage around $10K.

Did I mention how much I hate deer??!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,880 Posts
Hopefully the body shop you choose can match that plastic bumper to the metal on the car. I have been to two different shops and my front bumper still does not match, not even close on my ‘15 Sublime Challenger. I have a place in New York that does extremely good paint matching, they will end up fixing mine the right way.

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
This guy from Windsor was on his way to a car show in Grosse Pointe MI, at the Ford Estate. Hit a deer doing about 45. He said the car barely flinched. He pulled the deer out of the grille, strapped down the hood and continued on to the car show! I think it is a 1964 Caddy.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts