Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wednesday drove my 2018 Challenger R/T SP 60 miles over to pick up my sister then we drove 90 miles to Sacramento where I ended up buying a new 2018 Mini John Cooper Works Hardtop 2-door.

My sister graciously offered - well, I had to bribe her with a lobster/steak meal at Outback first -- to drive my Challenger home -- to her house -- for the night then Thursday AM drive it over to my place. This rather than we drive to my house then I drive her to her house.

So she drives the car to her house last night -- I still drove to her house to tuck the Challenger in for the night -- then drove home.

My sister drove the Challenger over this AM then we headed out to get lunch.

Just a few blocks from the house I stopped to fill up the Challenger's tank. 15.018 gallons (at $3.359/gallon or $50.45). Just did the math and the car covered 314 miles all told and averaged 21.4mpg.

Not bad for a 392CI.

Oh, for some kind of comparison, I drove the JCW 160 miles and filled up the gas tank the next day and the 11.6 gallon tank required 6.88 gallons of gasoline and averaged 25.8mpg.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
yeah my challenger scat pack average since the first ever mile is a bit over 18mpg this is after 3,100 miles. if i just go highway im not surprised if it gets 25-30.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
937 Posts
My ‘16 A8 Scat is averaging 18.7mpg for the first 3500 miles. This includes a lot of cold weather use, some idling to warm up in single digit temps, sitting idling in traffic, some “fun” driving with my foot to the floor, and mostly mixed driving to and from work.

On the highway 22mpg is easy to pull going at least 70mph.

It does best around 60mph and often averages over 24mpg during those lower speed parts of a trip.

Really impressive for a nearly 400cid 485hp beast!

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
937 Posts
A8 auto

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,141 Posts
Wednesday drove my 2018 Challenger R/T SP 60 miles over to pick up my sister then we drove 90 miles to Sacramento where I ended up buying a new 2018 Mini John Cooper Works Hardtop 2-door.

My sister graciously offered - well, I had to bribe her with a lobster/steak meal at Outback first -- to drive my Challenger home -- to her house -- for the night then Thursday AM drive it over to my place. This rather than we drive to my house then I drive her to her house.

So she drives the car to her house last night -- I still drove to her house to tuck the Challenger in for the night -- then drove home.

My sister drove the Challenger over this AM then we headed out to get lunch.

Just a few blocks from the house I stopped to fill up the Challenger's tank. 15.018 gallons (at $3.359/gallon or $50.45). Just did the math and the car covered 314 miles all told and averaged 21.4mpg.

Not bad for a 392CI.

Oh, for some kind of comparison, I drove the JCW 160 miles and filled up the gas tank the next day and the 11.6 gallon tank required 6.88 gallons of gasoline and averaged 25.8mpg.
That is pretty impressive mileage for a motor making almost 500 hp!

I thought that you were going to say that after collecting on dinner, that your sister told you that she enjoyed driving your Challenger so much that she'd have done it for free! :)

Congrats on your new JCW too! :cheers:

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
10,042 Posts
Nice mileage, my mileage runs generally lower than that but I have an A5 and also a heavy foot lol.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Live in Tucson but work in Phoenix a few times a month. My Cat's my daily driver. It's typically a 250 mile round trip and I take a back way (not the interstate, I-10) to Phoenix, doing 65-70 most of the way. My cat always averages 22-24 mpg. My high was in the summer, nearly 26 mpg and that's mostly cruise control with occasional high speed passes. :)
Still amazes me that a 700HP engine can get that kind of economy....Life's too short to drive in a Prius!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I managed 28mpg around the 2k mile mark. It was a 150 mile trip to Sedona, half of it being up hill. Was amazed at the mpg with this much power! Guess I am used to my old 73 Scout that had a 345, 150hp, and got 11 mpg.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is pretty impressive mileage for a motor making almost 500 hp!

I thought that you were going to say that after collecting on dinner, that your sister told you that she enjoyed driving your Challenger so much that she'd have done it for free! :)

Congrats on your new JCW too! :cheers:
No way. She wanted to be fed. Then she was talking about driving the Challenger to her house and then driving it back to myou house sometime...!

JCW is growing on me. Drove over to my sister's place -- 60+ mile drive -- so she could test drive it (she's interested in a Countryman I think) -- then I demo'd the car in sport mode to her. All that snap crackle and popping out the exhaust. I was giggling like crazy and she's asking if that noise means the engine needs new plugs already?

Geesh.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the 6 spd manual and get mid 20's with cruise set on 77 MPH. I regularly drive from Memphis to Ft. Smith, which is 1 tank full. LOVE the power, but the mileage ain't nothing to sneeze at!!!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Live in Tucson but work in Phoenix a few times a month. My Cat's my daily driver. It's typically a 250 mile round trip and I take a back way (not the interstate, I-10) to Phoenix, doing 65-70 most of the way. My cat always averages 22-24 mpg. My high was in the summer, nearly 26 mpg and that's mostly cruise control with occasional high speed passes. :)
Still amazes me that a 700HP engine can get that kind of economy....Life's too short to drive in a Prius!

That is great....I get that in my stick 392. Are you using red key as well?

Enjoy that kitty.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is not that amazing when one considers how little work the engine has to do.

Based on my observations over the years using an OBD2 code reader/data viewer to monitor -- in this case -- engine load for my cars that came with OBD2 with engine sizes ranging from 1.9l to 6.0l (I have not had time yet to check the Challenger with its 6.4l engine) and engine HP output ranging from 90hp (1.9l 2002 VW TDi engine) to 400hp (6.0l 2006 GTO) and 413hp (3.6l 2003 996 Turbo) I observed a wide difference in engine load required to move the car along at highway speed on flat ground at a steady speed.

The lowest load was for the GTO (and my Porsche 996 Turbo) at around 10%. The highest load was for my 2002 VW Golf 1.9l TDi engine which required around 45%.

While the load numbers varied quite a bit when one then computes the amount of HP this represents all the cars required about the same HP. Vehicle weight -- on level ground -- didn't seem to be a factor. The Golf and my Boxster weighed in under 3000lbs (around 2800lbs IIRC). The GTO tipped the scales at nearly 3800lbs. (The Turbo less than 3500lbs.) I haven't had time to weigh my Challenger.

The result is I found every one of my cars under the same conditions -- and tested/measured over the same stretches of road -- required about 40hp to move the car down the road.

Even though your HC puts out over 700hp (max) to move that car down the road -- down a flat road at a steady speed -- requires no more HP than that of a small farm tractor.

As long as one can avoid using any more of that 700hp (Yeah, I know, asking the impossible...) the car can deliver surprisingly good gas mileage and your experience agrees with that.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,141 Posts
No way. She wanted to be fed. Then she was talking about driving the Challenger to her house and then driving it back to myou house sometime...!

JCW is growing on me. Drove over to my sister's place -- 60+ mile drive -- so she could test drive it (she's interested in a Countryman I think) -- then I demo'd the car in sport mode to her. All that snap crackle and popping out the exhaust. I was giggling like crazy and she's asking if that noise means the engine needs new plugs already?

Geesh.
My Wife doesn't mind the burble out of the exhaust of Ruby (our 15 SRT 392 with a 3" Solo street/race exhaust that has no resonators or mufflers and burbles like a Winston Cup car), but thinks that Snap, Crackle and Pop are mostly applicable to Rice Krispies. :D

She puts up with it because I like it so much (She's a Really, Really Good Sport).

I know that they are two completely different types of cars, but which do you enjoy driving more, your Challenger or your JCW (or is it mood dependent)?

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My Wife doesn't mind the burble out of the exhaust of Ruby (our 15 SRT 392 with a 3" Solo street/race exhaust that has no resonators or mufflers and burbles like a Winston Cup car), but thinks that Snap, Crackle and Pop are mostly applicable to Rice Krispies. :D

She puts up with it because I like it so much (She's a Really, Really Good Sport).

I know that they are two completely different types of cars, but which do you enjoy driving more, your Challenger or your JCW (or is it mood dependent)?
Might not believe this but both are very enjoyable to drive. They are quite different cars to be sure.

Been spending most of the time in the JCW but decided to take the Challenger out the other day. Got in and felt kind of lost for a moment but quickly it all came back to me.

Sure noticed how much bigger the Challenger is as I backed it out the parking space. But by the time I reached the end of the drive and was ready to get on the street I was "home".

As I drove it all came back to me why I wanted the Challenger. Even though I've been raving a bit about the JCW the Challenger is still a great car in my book. Were I limited to just one car I'd be hard pressed to choose which one but I think it would be the Challenger I would select.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm at a little over 800mi and I'm averaging in the low 12's lol. But I drive M6 and it doesn't see a lot of highway. It's also my "fun" car. I have a 1.4T Dart when I want good mileage.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,141 Posts
I'm at a little over 800mi and I'm averaging in the low 12's lol. But I drive M6 and it doesn't see a lot of highway. It's also my "fun" car. I have a 1.4T Dart when I want good mileage.
If you're getting low 12's for mileage, you're having ALOT of fun driving her (I say good for you. Quick cars are built to be enjoyed)! :D

Things will get better too, once you get more miles on her and things loosen up and break in.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I average about 26-27 on highway if I keep it under 70. Now when I'm towing my bike I'll only average about 22-24. Combined weekly I average about 16-17. I mostly drive city.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The A8 with the 392 does get decent gas mileage for being big engine, powerful car. When I had my 2015 Scat A8 it did pretty good compared to the manual 6 speed Shaker Scat I have now. The only thing I didn’t like was that in regular mode it would shift out of the low gears so fast to get into the higher gears to save gas (and get into 4 cylinder mode) it felt like a dog around town unless you put it into sport mode. I will admit the 6 speed manual Scat is a gas hog (you can see the gas needle move when you row out the gears) but to me it’s a hell of a lot more fun to drive!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts