Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be saving up for a supercharger and I noticed the cheapest ones are vortech and procharger, but I'll save up longer if I am convinced that there is better out there. I want to know what is the best supercharger not considering price. This will be for a daily street driven 2009 Challenger RT with some track days 3-5 times a year.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
This one looks pretty cool to me.

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
if money is no big deal get some turbos put on. Call Arrington and we can hook you up. AJ has the tune perfected for a twin turbo set up.

·
Registered
221 Posts
There are several out there to pick from. Magnuson is probably the best for daily driving. ProCharger & KB would probably be my next choice for a daily driver setup; however, internal upgrades aren't a must with those two setups but I would upgrade with either of those, and I did. One thing to keep in mind when considering forced induction on our cars is the shop you're going to have it installed and tuned by. I had Arrington install mine since they are a reputable company. Pick your poison and be ready to spend some cash.

Good Luck...

KW

·
Registered
95 Posts
I agree with B&R Challenger. For a daily driver a Maggie is the way to go. Arrington's is the place to get the install and tuning done. Drives like stock until you plant your right foot. I haven't had a single issue with mine at 8 lbs of boost and I'm now planning a return trip to Martinsville to forge the bottom end and crank up the boost. Can't disagree with VenomBee either. Those twin turbo set ups are beasts and I wouldn't trust anybody other than Arrington's to tune it. Just my humble opinion.

·
Vendor
12,237 Posts
we install Magnuson's and love the reliability and simplicity of the system.....
for a daily driver by far the best choice for a supercharger system
Luke

ps, a question one must ask, what is the goal, what are you trying to achieve

for a daily driver up to 600 hps, the Magnuson is the perfect choise, its also a very good choice above that

for serious all out performance, anything above 750/800 hps, turbos is really the only way to go

anything above 600 hps at the wheels on the street is useless, waste of time and effort, hot rods with 600 or more hps at the wheels tend to be quirky, hard to drive, and not really a lot of fun to drive, im sure people will argue this, but the majority of people have never raced and driving a vehicle that typically gets little traction, bulky, that contanstly wants to spin the tires isnt necessarily a lot of fun, maybe, especially if your daily driving the vehicle

from experience anything that makes 600 and above hps isnt suited for the street, really needs to be on a race track, and then the challenger is totally the wrong car, too big, too heavy

·
Registered
437 Posts
TOO BIG TOO HEAVY!!!!???? DUDE PUT DOWN THE CRACK PIPE AND STEP AWAY.....that's gonna come as a big shock to those 8 and 9 second Challengers running out there. Better call HHP and Arrington and tell them not to bother with their builds......

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm running 675 rwhp... and the car behaves just like it did when it was stock. The only difference is that I can now hang with a GT500.

·
Vendor
12,237 Posts
TOO BIG TOO HEAVY!!!!???? DUDE PUT DOWN THE CRACK PIPE AND STEP AWAY.....that's gonna come as a big shock to those 8 and 9 second Challengers running out there. Better call HHP and Arrington and tell them not to bother with their builds......

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Completely missing the point, if you want to go fast you don't start with a 4300 lbs car, you build a light weight high hps car.........I'm not saying people shouldnt build them, what I'm saying it's the wrong car if your going to race competitively

One of my friends as an sb2 powered small block vega, 1300+ hps and weights less than 2400 lbs, no matter what you do to a Challenger it will never outrun his vega,

Miata versus Challenger on an autocross, my money on the Miata every time

I love my Challengers, but they are big girls.....

A 4000 lbs car will need to make 800 hps at the wheels in order to break into the 9's in the quarter mile, in contrast a 3000 lbs car only needs to make 600 hps

Luke

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I'm running 675 rwhp... and the car behaves just like it did when it was stock. The only difference is that I can now hang with a GT500.
Be serious. Your telling me you can take off some what aggressively from a stop light and have absolutely no problem with wheel spin, like stock? Hmm.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Vendor
12,237 Posts
275-40r20's with 470 at the wheels and I can spin them at will
Luke

·
Registered
221 Posts
Be serious. Your telling me you can take off some what aggressively from a stop light and have absolutely no problem with wheel spin, like stock? Hmm.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I had problems with traction when the car was bone stock. Again, all I was saying is that the car behaves just like it did when it was stock unless I get into the gas.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I will be getting a Vortech running 6-7lbs...then once I have enough to forge, I will and run a little more boost. I'd like to be over 500 to the wheels.

·
Vendor
12,237 Posts
I think I will be getting a Vortech running 6-7lbs...then once I have enough to forge, I will and run a little more boost. I'd like to be over 500 to the wheels.
you'll need approx 10lbs of boost to be over 500 at the wheels on a 5.7L, if your going to tear down an engine i would stroke the 5.7 into a 392....

Luke

·
Vendor
12,237 Posts
my favourite review of the Challenger

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you'll need approx 10lbs of boost to be over 500 at the wheels on a 5.7L, if your going to tear down an engine i would stroke the 5.7 into a 392....

Luke
How much would 7lbs get me to the wheels? I'm at 387rwhp now.

·
Vendor
12,237 Posts
460 to 475 range, not doubting your number if your truely at 387 you may be a little higher closer to +480ishhh

on a basic uncammed engine you will need to be at 10lbs of boost to get at 500 and over, not recommended with stock internals

with cam, 85mm+ tbi, long tubes, high flow cats and 8lbs of boost should be able to reach 500 at the wheels, you may have to tweak a little more 8.5lbs of boost

Luke

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
460 to 475 range, not doubting your number if your truely at 387 you may be a little higher closer to +480ishhh

on a basic uncammed engine you will need to be at 10lbs of boost to get at 500 and over, not recommended with stock internals

with cam, 85mm+ tbi, long tubes, high flow cats and 8lbs of boost should be able to reach 500 at the wheels, you may have to tweak a little more 8.5lbs of boost

Luke

I have JBA shorties right now but I'll have to get longtubes... My cam is the compcam 274 and two different dynos I got 387rwhp. 6-7lbs for now and once I can afford forging I'll bump it up.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts